Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
I don't think she meant it that strong. Like an angry boycott because they bought a studio. I don't get that vibe at all from any of her posts. Maybe you took it too literal?

Bandai is cheaper than I thought but besides From games and Tekken, their games are anime and niche. They don't sell that much. They don't even own From so it feels like a useless purchase. Am I missing something? Stuff like Dragon Ball and One Piece doesn't move the needle at all.
Bandai sells a decent amount in the west but mostly in Japan. I remember when the Tales Of franchise was dead here in the west after they chose to make Vesperia exclusive to Xbox and didn't decide to localize the Ps3 version after their timed deal wore off due to the low sales it generated on the Xbox. It was exclusive to Japan.
The only reason it came back to the west was starting with Xillia I remember being apart of the group that sent a petition to Bandai to bring them back west which shockingly they listened to and took a gamble that obviously paid off in the end.
Plus as odd as it sounds their niche anime games are the reason they're still around.
So some of their titles do generate a decent amount of money just not Square Enix levels.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I have no problem with Sony buying devs (nor it matters that much to me, because founding from second party or first party is the same).

I do have a problem if Sony strategy would be instead of create was to take away from others.

I prefer Sony founding stuff like Rise of Ronin, I would have a problem if they bought CDPR just to remove The Witcher from Xbox, so the console warriors make a list to brag about it.

And yes, if Sony strategy is to buy something like Square just to remove games like Dragon Quest from Nintendo, and all the other smaller games that have a audience on Switch, I will have a huge problem with it.
If their strategy is to expand to South Korea and China, and bring new creators and new games, than I will give them massive credit for it.

I don’t think Sony has much of a choice now.

It’s either they buy publishers or the likes of Microsoft will.

Sony can’t keep losing established IPs.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
GgSihkAq_o.jpg

Make this make sense... in 2023.
In an industry that is consolidating. In an industry where the direct rival already acquired two publishers for almost $80 billion and wants to buy another japanese publisher in the near future.

Protip: It doesn't make sense.
The floodgates are open. Eat or be eaten.
Oh so it's an old post. I thought it was this week after Activision closed. Nobody wants Sony to buy publishers and take all those expenses and risk but we don't live in that world anymore 😥

MS will do everything in their power to make Sony disappear...and they are fucking powerful.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
I don’t think Sony has much of a choice now.

It’s either they buy publishers or the likes of Microsoft will.

Sony can’t keep losing established IPs.
And it's not just Microsoft that's buying that's what she doesn't understand. It's Tencent, Embracer and the potential of Amazon, Disney, Comcast, etc. that will also be buying too. If Sony just sit and watch as these other corporations grab publishers then there won't be things that PlayStation can do like 3rd party time exclusives that they have been aggressively and successfully doing. Quality over quantity is still the best path forward for PlayStation's strategy of acquisitions however if they can get at least one publisher like Square that fit perfectly with PlayStation's identity when it comes to legacy IPs and long standing relationship then that will go a long way. They should look towards their home turf and strengthened their history and identity there. Like with every other industry you need to adapt or else be left in the dust. Hell, even though Nintendo are in their own lane they still have to adapt somewhat to continue their standing power.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
In that sense, it does but all components are bought in dollars now, so it won't be quite as beneficial as it was many years ago....from what I understand.

Also, I am curious whether Sony keeps its 'cash on hand' in yen, dollars, euro or some other currency.... because it could have been devalued if it was in Yen from one quarter to another.

I think a Japanese publisher would be very attractive now due to the weakness in Yen. It might be a good time to buy.

From a financial standpoint, Bandai Namco is by far the best choice for Sony to buy. their revenue annually is over 7 Billion and their profits are around 1 billion. While a behemoth like TakeTwo is less, at 5 billion revenue and they have incurred annual losses recently...so no profit.

If they did buy Bandai, it would propel them up to around 35 billion revenue and 2-3 billion profits annually and result in a lot of efficiencies in publishing, licensing, music, movies etc.

So, although I don't trust that leaker on Twitter...it seems like a great choice....Bandai are a quiet giant. They also own Dimps with Sony, so then Sony would have full ownership.

So for 13 billion, you are getting a company that is massively outperforming TakeTwo, who are valued at over 22 billion and would cost up to 30 billion.
Bandai "toys and merchandises" business is half of their revenues, the rest of them are media. Their biggest IP is Gundam, which not related to gaming.

Also I think Bandai cap would be somewhere around 2.2 trillion. So, yea there is that.

When they merged Namco back in 2005, they failed to transformed any of Namco's IPs into anything big, what a damn shame.

They don't have much game's IPs, their studios are just making lisenced games, and I think gaming wise, Koei Tecmo or Square Enix would be a better choice for Sony, realistically.

Koei Tecmo got some of well-oiled studios, they don't own any big IPs though, mostly just licensing.

And there is Square Enix: FF, KH, DQ, Star Ocean, Nier, the list goes on.

They currently going under, so perfect time for Sony to snoop them. Animation, movies, cross promotions with games, the list goes on. Under right management they could thrive. Also they just sold off their Western arm so...

Capcom is off the table, Sega is, meh. And there is Cygames from CyberAgent which Sony has allience to along with Kadokawa...

Western front,

T2 got 2K, Zynga and Rockstar. Rockstar has the most valueable IPs while 2K got the goldmine(NBA).

EA, uh EA Sports-goldmine, racing games since they owns a lot of them, get F1 license too. Bioware, Dice are at least used to be good studios. Respawn are, Respawn, they are good enough.

Ubisoft - bloated mess

Epic Games - GAAS and engine licenses

So yeah, I don't think there is much too say. I think ABK could be a write off like Nokia though.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
And it's not just Microsoft that's buying that's what she doesn't understand. It's Tencent, Embracer and the potential of Amazon, Disney, Comcast, etc. that will also be buying too. If Sony just sit and watch as these other corporations grab publishers then there won't be things that PlayStation can do like 3rd party time exclusives that they have been aggressively and successfully doing. Quality over quantity is still the best path forward for PlayStation's strategy of acquisitions however if they can get at least one publisher like Square that fit perfectly with PlayStation's identity when it comes to legacy IPs and long standing relationship then that will go a long way. They should look towards their home turf and strengthened their history and identity there. Like with every other industry you need to adapt or else be left in the dust. Hell, even though Nintendo are in their own lane they still have to adapt somewhat to continue their standing power.

Agree.

Only difference being those companies most probably won’t take games off the Playstation platform which is why Microsoft buying is the biggest problem for Sony.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
There is no way Sony will sleep on them, like they did on Atlus and Fromsoftware.
This will be the most lucrative acquisition ever for Sony.

Market cap fell to 3.96B. That’s even now lesser than Sega‘s market cap.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
There is no way Sony will sleep on them, like they did on Atlus and Fromsoftware.
If they buy Square now they will get them for the price of 7 or more billion dollars at height last year square enix was 7 billion dollars in market cap which would have cost sony more agree now is the right time

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Honestly Square has nothing valuable

FF and DQ do a couple million but haven't really been important for over a decade

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
If they buy Square now they will get them for the price of 7 or more billion dollars at height last year square enix was 7 billion dollars in market cap which would have cost sony more agree now is the right time
Feels like a mixed bag with this one as much as I personally would like to see Square join the Playstatiin family the fact that they're market cap has dropped continously the past 3 years is concerning. Them joining Playstation would definitely save money and would give them more opportunities to work with Sony Engineers on their Timed exclusive games.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023

Market cap fell to 3.96B. That’s even now lesser than Sega‘s market cap.
Yea I just check Tokyo Stock Exchange, their assets are around 800 billion, so value wise they should be around 1-1.2 trillion.

Probably will fall under Sony subsidary and not SIE.

Mobile games, animation, movies besides from games, all other Sony department could take advantage of.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
Insanely ridiculous question, but after the MS/ABK deal successfully passed what is the likelihood that Sony buying Nintendo would be passed?

I am not saying Sony/Nintendo would do this. lol
Just a question.

Reactions: Diah
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Insanely ridiculous question, but after the MS/ABK deal successfully passed what is the likelihood that Sony buying Nintendo would be passed?

I am not saying Sony/Nintendo would do this. lol
Just a question.
Well none of the regulators stated the console market as a concern over this acquisition or zenimax & sunak is pushing to remove any power the CMA has to actually stop company's merging

Reactions: Diah

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
Well none of the regulators stated the console market as a concern over this acquisition or zenimax & sunak is pushing to remove any power the CMA has to actually stop company's merging

Interesting. Before the MS/ABK deal, I was firmly of the belief that something like this was out of the realm of possibility but after hearing some of the regulators arguments, I no longer know.

Nintendo would never though.....they have no real reason.