Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Another name to add to my list of Xbox cheerleading hypocrites over at ResetERA. #28, keep 'em coming.
It is pretty laughable that they think that protecting access to certain franchises wouldn't be a legitimate/justifiable reason for Sony to buy something. Seems like they just want a situation where Xbox gets everything and PlayStation gets nothing.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Screenshot-20231017-030401-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20231017-030429-Chrome.jpg

Green cunt: What does Sony gain from acquiring Square?
Green cunt: Also MS really should buy square!
They have a point that Square is at the best moment to buy so all these rumors are worrying. I don't want Sony to lose this opportunity. What the fuck are they doing?

They know MS are free now.

Reactions: Diah

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
They have a point that Square is at the best moment to buy so all these rumors are worrying. I don't want Sony to lose this opportunity. What the fuck are they doing?

Not 'free' per-se, they still have to integrate ABK. Also, an acquisition by Sony wouldn't happen overnight, it would take several months before even being announced, and likely would happen without warning. You guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment expecting them to react quickly based on twitter rumors. I wouldn't expect any major acquisition news from Sony before next year, and MS may go on a cool-down period before they go on the prowl again too.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023

Oye you guys worry a bit too much the EU has said going forward they will look at the genre of games which are very similar in nature like say FPS and RPG and look at it if there's consolidation of say popular IPs
Microsoft has two MMOs WOW and ESO so final fantasy the only viable mmo on the market would not pass threshold that is what I believe

24 Jun 2022
Not 'free' per-se, they still have to integrate ABK. Also, an acquisition by Sony wouldn't happen overnight, it would take several months before even being announced, and likely would happen without warning. You guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment expecting them to react quickly based on twitter rumors. I wouldn't expect any major acquisition news from Sony before next year, and MS may go on a cool-down period before they go on the prowl again too.

Microsoft HAVE to go into a cool-down period. ABK is massive and it will be 10x more challenging to integrate them into the whole of Xbox than it's proving for Zenimax, which isn't going great ATM all things considered. How stupid would Microsoft look failing to integrate a $69 billion acquisition?

People like that the idiots on ResetERA or whoever else are praying MS sweep in on Square-Enix or any other gaming publisher or studio for the next several months to year or more, simply show how ignorant they are about the real world and the sheer challenges of successfully completing an M&A as massive as ABK. Microsoft also have all kinds of eyes prying into them due to the regulatory investigations on ABK; any regulator worth a crap would immediately ask them: "Hey, you JUST bought ABK, why are you rushing to buy yet another publisher? How about you slow down and get what you already have in order first?".

Honestly, what excuses could Microsoft use to buy Square-Enix or any other competitor right now or years from now? Mobile? Well, that's what King is for (ABK). Japan? Isn't Tango Gameworks working on a JRPG? Doesn't Microsoft have a strategic partnership with Sega/Atlus? So that excuse dies too. Compete in studios? They have now more than Sony and Nintendo, probably combined. Europe? Zenimax and ABK already address that. ROTW? That's what initiatives like xCloud are meant to focus on.

Microsoft have run out of excuses for buying more publishers, at least for the next several years. If they try playing the "we need more revenue!" card, regulators will ask them how acquiring Zenimax AND ABK, and folding their revenue into Xbox division's, somehow still isn't enough when forecasts showed it would have been more than enough. It would also make them ask if Microsoft's acquisitions are hurting the revenue potential of the entire market as a whole, which affects willingness of investors to invest money into the industry.

Companies like Square-Enix may be "getting calls", but Microsoft ain't one of them. They have no angle or room to make that play right nor or in the foreseeable future. I just wish others would understand the realities they face in getting ABK (and Zenimax) properly integrated and streamlined into the wider Xbox/Microsoft Gaming pipeline, and that Microsoft can't risk bleeding out so much talent or pipeline efficiency on a $69 billion purchase by rushing to buy YET ANOTHER publisher when their plate is already full.

Honestly, and especially to dudes like Dabaus because you let Xbox fanboy BS get you riled way too easily...just ignore the Xbox fanatics on ResetERA, Twitter, wherever if they're talking about Microsoft lining up more acquisitions anytime soon. They're still at school playground mentality, however stunted that makes them. When you actually think about the logic and logistics of what's on Microsoft's plate gaming-wise, you'll see how much those "rumors" and hopium are dog shit.

DForce

24 Jun 2022
Screenshot-20231017-030401-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20231017-030429-Chrome.jpg

Green cunt: What does Sony gain from acquiring Square?
Green cunt: Also MS really should buy square!
lol

12Danny123 used to make threads on NeoGaf all the time about how Sony won't be able to compete in the future because they don't have the cloud infrastructure.

If MS bought Capcom, Take2, and EA, they will try to convince others that Microsoft is not creating a monopoly.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
People need to really think this out emotional people exists and they will talking crap
I think zenimax still hasn't been properly Integrated and ABK will take a lot of time too first digesting the previous food is very necessary rather than just creating problems for your digestive system and bloating your stomach
Inorganic growths like these take a good amount of time to integrate they will fire or move people within the company which is going to take time
Amazon has a million employees it's pretty well integrated because it's mostly organic growth
What I hope is sony doesn't remains complacent for the sake of it and are looking out to pad themselves from external attacks Msft can do whatever they want to but in the end it's up to sony how strategically they cement themselves I am a big proponent of them buying up Embracer it is probably cheaper or same market cap for Sony

People need to really think this out emotional people exists and they will talking crap
I think zenimax still hasn't been properly Integrated and ABK will take a lot of time too first digesting the previous food is very necessary rather than just creating problems for your digestive system and bloating your stomach
Inorganic growths like these take a good amount of time to integrate they will fire or move people within the company which is going to take time
Amazon has a million employees it's pretty well integrated because it's mostly organic growth
What I hope is sony doesn't remains complacent for the sake of it and are looking out to pad themselves from external attacks Msft can do whatever they want to but in the end it's up to sony how strategically they cement themselves I am a big proponent of them buying up Embracer it is probably cheaper or same market cap for Sony
Angry Season 2 GIF by The Office

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Oye you guys worry a bit too much the EU has said going forward they will look at the genre of games which are very similar in nature like say FPS and RPG and look at it if there's consolidation of say popular IPs
Microsoft has two MMOs WOW and ESO so final fantasy the only viable mmo on the market would not pass threshold that is what I believe
You think these morons at the EU will stop Microsoft because WOW and FF14 are MMOs 🤣

You just want us and Sony to lose their guard so MS can get them later. I see right through you Alanis.

I am a big proponent of them buying up Embracer it is probably cheaper or same market cap for Sony
Embracer seriously? Why not acquire a dumpster instead. Sony wasting time with useless trash while MS gets the good stuff. Right 🙄

Last edited:

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
You think these morons at the EU will stop Microsoft because WOW and FF14 are MMOs 🤣

You just want us and Sony to lose their guard so MS can get them later. I see right through you Alanis.
Wow I don't think msft will buy any publisher because they would have to keep everything multiplatform and it would be more challenging to muster even if it's small they took a calculated risk to buy abk and by this they sealed themselves to not get an inch more even if you say they can buy another publisher they would not be able to get personal benefits for themselves because it would not go forward without heavy concession they would only get some revenue which would not make any dent or won't give high value because the Japanese publishers have low revenue compare to their western counterparts
You will only see msft to pursue mobile more now because that's the only place they will be allowed to grow inorganically

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
Embracer seriously? Why not acquire a dumpster instead. Sony wasting time with useless trash while MS gets the good stuff. Right 🙄
They get LOTR , Spawn and Borderlands and many more great IPS just look at the trove of IPs they own yes you would not get everything for cheap because they are cheap right now it is an opinion
LOTR is bigger than Elder scrolls they own a lot of dungeon and dragon based IPs and so on

Dark horse comics is owned by Embracer which also owns spawn and Hellboy

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They get LOTR , Spawn and Borderlands and many more great IPS just look at the trove of IPs they own yes you would not get everything for cheap because they are cheap right now it is an opinion
LOTR is bigger than Elder scrolls they own a lot of dungeon and dragon IPs and so one
You might get the IPs but tons of their studios are bottom of the barrel AA jank that don't sell anything. Most of it on PC with nothing that moves the needle on consoles.

Borderlands and Tomb Raider are locked by 2k and Amazon. Eidos and CD are working for Microsoft for the next few years.

I wouldn't trust any of Embracer studios to make a Sony-quality Spawn or LOTR game. Sony would need their own studios to do it and they're all busy.

Embracer is just a bunch of random stuff, remakes and ports. No synergy unless you get the chainsaw and cut everything.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I honestly did not expect Embracer to manage their studios as poorly as they have. I figured that they would have more than enough decent studios and popular IP to keep everything afloat.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
In terms of fantasy WRPG stuff, Sony would probably be better off getting a licensing deal for DnD games. I've been watching some videos on the Dark Sun side of things in that universe and it's got fascinating potential. Actually feel Naughty Dog and Guerilla Games could get some team members together and do something epic with that setting, maybe get some CDPR people assembled into a team for that too (or just work with them as an external partner studio).

I would throw Larian in there but they are probably going to be busy with Baldur's Gate 3 stuff for a good while. But, if Sony could get that license and make a Dark Sun-based WRPG with talent from those four studios, they'd have something truly amazing on their hands.

Reactions: Puff and Diah

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
You might get the IPs but tons of their studios are bottom of the barrel AA jank that don't sell anything. Most of it on PC with nothing that moves the needle on consoles.

Borderlands and Tomb Raider are locked by 2k and Amazon. Eidos and CD are working for Microsoft for the next few years.

I wouldn't trust any of Embracer studios to make a Sony-quality Spawn or LOTR game. Sony would need their own studios to do it and they're all busy.

Embracer is just a bunch of random stuff, remakes and ports. No synergy unless you get the chainsaw and cut everything.
Some not so bottom of the barrel studios

Saber Interactive currently doing Warhammer 40k space marine which is going to be insane

Warhorse studios (Kingdom come deliverance) a good high rated RPG,

Gearbox (Borderlands which can be sorted with Take two because they are close to each other ) ,

Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics

Gunfire Games (Remnant 3 and Darksiders)

4A games (Metro series)

Tarsier studio ( Little Nightmare)

Flying wild hog (A team know for Shadow warrior series with sony support they can grow)

So yes they have a lot of bottom barrel studios but they can always work as support studios which Sony ofcourse needs a lot and the whole industry is facilitated by this smaller sattelite studios for extra work

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Some not so bottom of the barrel studios

Saber Interactive currently doing Warhammer 40k space marine which is going to be insane

Warhorse studios (Kingdom come deliverance) a good high rated RPG,

Gearbox (Borderlands which can be sorted with Take two because they are close to each other ) ,

Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics

Gunfire Games (Remnant 3 and Darksiders)

4A games (Metro series)

Tarsier studio ( Little Nightmare)

Flying wild hog (A team know for Shadow warrior series with sony support they can grow)

So yes they have a lot of bottom barrel studios but they can always work as support studios which Sony ofcourse needs a lot and the whole industry is facilitated by this smaller sattelite studios for extra work
You named the few everybody knows about but they literally have dozens and dozens more(130!). A mess.

Give to the Saudi Prince.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
I think Sony should keep doing great games and buying and nurturing small, talented studios. Ember Labs is a MUST. Give them the next Jack and Daxter along with what they wanna make. Kena is still one of the best games I've played so far this gen. The quality can rival PS Studios easily.

Reactions: Puff