Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony got a sour taste in their mouth after Bungie. Xbox got dismantled because of Bethesda + ACT/Blizz. I doubt Sony is thrilled to do any further big acquisitions. Japanese studios won't sell if they're not going for bankruptcy. It's a matter of pride.
I think Sony could indeed get a Japanese publisher if they wanted. It's simple just offer a fair and price worthy it, and the company likely will sell. Sony needs to stop being cheap simple as that. Plus Sony is not Disney or Microsoft, they would have an easier time to get such a buyout done. Being a Japanese company is definitely a huge advantage.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
I think Sony could indeed get a Japanese publisher if they wanted. It's simple just offer a fair and price worthy it, and the company likely will sell. Sony needs to stop being cheap simple as that. Plus Sony is not Disney or Microsoft, they would have an easier time to get such a buyout done. Being a Japanese company is definitely a huge advantage.

Problem is you can't buy established Japanese studios/pubs. Japanese take pride into their craft and companies. They should first make more new studios in Japan and China to compensate for the direction of the studios in the West.

Game Freak

3 Oct 2024
The Japanese government can block any Sony acquisition of a Japanese publisher in favor of Nintendo because Nintendo is far more important to Japan than PlayStation, which has abandoned its Japanese roots. If Sony tries to buy a Japanese publisher, I expect Nintendo to block that acquisition. Although PlayStation fanboys clamor for Sony to buy the Japanese publisher, this will never happen as it would be quite disastrous for Nintendo.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
The Japanese government can block any Sony acquisition of a Japanese publisher in favor of Nintendo because Nintendo is far more important to Japan than PlayStation, which has abandoned its Japanese roots. If Sony tries to buy a Japanese publisher, I expect Nintendo to block that acquisition.
It would be looked at via competition lens like most rational national competition authorities do. Nintendo could argue worldwide it could affect them but the competition authority would be basing their decision on the Japanese market and protecting the Japanese public. That same Japanese market Nintendo are dominant compared to Sony. Nintendo would be arguing their case in other markets, not Japan.

I'd rather third party developers stay independent but you're talking shite about the Japanese government choosing favourites between Japanese companies.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
The Japanese government can block any Sony acquisition of a Japanese publisher in favor of Nintendo because Nintendo is far more important to Japan than PlayStation, which has abandoned its Japanese roots. If Sony tries to buy a Japanese publisher, I expect Nintendo to block that acquisition. Although PlayStation fanboys clamor for Sony to buy the Japanese publisher, this will never happen as it would be quite disastrous for Nintendo.
They can block nothing lmao. Stop making things up buddy. If Sony would want to buy a Japanese publisher, they wouldn't need the permission of Nintendo first. Speaking of Nintendo the Authority would look on the market share. Nintendo holds like 80% of the Japanese console market. Primarily Nintendo earns their success through 1st Party games in Japan. Japanese Antitrust authorities are not existing for Nintendo's comfort. The level of delusion unbelievable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Game Freak

3 Oct 2024
They can block nothing lmao. Stop making things up buddy. If Sony would want to buy a Japanese publisher, they wouldn't need the permission of Nintendo first. Speaking of Nintendo the Authority would look on the market share. Nintendo holds like 80% of the Japanese console market. Primarily Nintendo earns their success through 1st Party games in Japan. Japanese Antitrust authorities are not existing for Nintendo's comfort. The level of delusion unbelievable.
Even if Sony buys the Japanese publisher, it won't fix PlayStation's situation in Japan, as PlayStation games will still sell poorly in Japan. I expect Nintendo to kick the PlayStation out of the Japanese market for good.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Even if Sony buys the Japanese publisher, it won't fix PlayStation's situation in Japan, as PlayStation games will still sell poorly in Japan. I expect Nintendo to kick the PlayStation out of the Japanese market for good.
You're delusional. Japanese 3rd party never sold well on Nintendo Systems, never. Switch is the first generation where Nintendo has a better 3rd party support. But still except for DQ and MH, Japanese 3rd party don't sell on Nintendo Switch. Everything you Nintendo fanboys dream of to rip off PlayStation will always remain PlayStation associated franchises. YS, Legend of Heroes, Persona, Resident Evil, Tekken, FF, KH, Nier and more Japanese 3rd party will always have bigger numbers on PS.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman

Sony as a company is 100% more important at this very moment than even Toyota and Nissan ffs as they are falling behind Chinese EV's. They're probably the only company when most other Japanese will collapse might keep them from total bankruptcy. This is pure nonsense.

Game Freak

3 Oct 2024
You're delusional. Japanese 3rd party never sold well on Nintendo Systems, never. Switch is the first generation where Nintendo has a better 3rd party support. But still except for DQ and MH, Japanese 3rd party don't sell on Nintendo Switch. Everything you Nintendo fanboys dream of to rip off PlayStation will always remain PlayStation associated franchises. YS, Legend of Heroes, Persona, Resident Evil, Tekken, FF, KH, Nier and more Japanese 3rd party will always have bigger numbers on PS.
Sony is very afraid of Nintendo in Japan because they know very well that a Japanese game would sell more for the Nintendo platform than for the PlayStation if a Japanese game was released for both the PlayStation and the Nintendo platform at the same time. This is why Sony wants to keep Japanese games away from Nintendo's platform.

Game Freak

3 Oct 2024
Sony as a company is 100% more important at this very moment than even Toyota and Nissan ffs as they are falling behind Chinese EV's. They're probably the only company when most other Japanese will collapse might keep them from total bankruptcy. This is pure nonsense.
Sony is not even in the top 50 in Japan when it comes to cash & cash equivalent

Last edited:
  • haha