Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony decreasing share prices are mostly caused by the recession and the Activision Blizzard King deal. If your value drops it because shareholders sold their shares. In order to win the trust back of shareholders, Sony needs to grow. In Order to do so they will need to acquire companies. This cannot be satisfied by only buying small studios. Sony will need to purchase a big company like Square Enix. If you watched Aniplex (Sony Anime branch) are having at the moment a lot of successful collaborations and the next big hit will be likely the Nier Automata Anime produced by 1A Pictures (Sony). The key is group synergies and there a plenty of them for Sony and Square Enix. I am pretty confident this merger will happen. Sony didn’t buy much this year, so I am pretty sure in November Sony will make its moves. Don’t forget that they announced back then they are planning to spend money up to 44 billion dollars. Money rotting in the bank will just lose more value. So Sony will need to invest in order to grow. After the merger, Sony share value will rise, because after completion, they will remove Square Enix from the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
Like almost all related companies this year they had the post covid bump push back to reality and the yen/dollar are fucking Japanese companies, but Sony (and particularly gaming) is already is in a growing trend since several years ago and are better than ever. Inside gaming they are growing in all areas, in many of which they already are market leader distant from MS, and CoD only represents a tiny portion of Sony's gaming business.

image.png

Sony will continue growing and making acquisitions, and it's true that the money now is better invested in something than in the bank and that to acquire Square Enix would make sense and would be the best candidates, but doesn't have any pressure at all to make big acquisitions.

I think it’d be bizarre to see Sony publicly try to kill the activision deal, then at the same time buy a square or a capcom.
In reality the ABK, SE or Capcom acquisitions don't have any reasons to be blocked by regulators.

But it could be true that Sony may already have a big acquisition secured like SE or Capcom but are waiting to announce until the ABK acquisition is done because that would help Sony.

If regulators see Sony making a big acquisition it would help approve the ABK acquisition, and Sony would prefer to see the ABK acquisition stopped or at least to secure that key IPs like CoD will continue forever on PS.

For Sony it's better don't announce anything now and add pressure to the regulators, and when the ABK will get approved (which will, because other than lying to regulators I don't see any other reason to stop it) then Sony would announce the big acquisition, telling the regulators that they had to do it do compete against and to protect their partners from acquisitions like the ABK ones.

I really think Square and CDPR would be the best options for cross-media buys...... film, music, anime, games etc.

Edgerunners and The Witcher shows really show what an effective strategy it is.

FFXIV and Destiny make an incredible duo of evergreen liveservice games too.
Sony is already doing that strategy and yes, would be interested on people having and being experienced crossmedia IPs or with potential, like FF or Destiny, or liveservice games.

SE would be good for that but not CDProject, because CDP doesn't own these IPs, they only got the license to make games of these external IPs. In addition to this, CDP has several big issues to fix themselves, remember they got their game removed from PSN, so I don't think their relationship with Sony is good.

This is not how things work though. The companies you mentioned might not have even be up for sale. So they just can't buy whatever because they have the cash. As far as the 35 billion goes, in 2021 Sony had ~$45B cash on hand. I found this from the other forum:

So they never had a ton of "on hand" to spend in cash. And even that means nothing. They could have 1B in the bank and still make big acquisitions since they are in great credit standing with banks. So don't think they are limited to the cash on hand. Having a bunch of cash sitting is not a good thing anyway. It should be invested.
Sony can pay with a lot of things: with Sony stocks, getting money from new debt that some of the Sony banks or banks investing in Sony would give them, using cash of hand, selling some of the stuff they have, or doing what they have been doing: using the cash on hand they did set apart in a special budget for strategical investments, acquisitions and Sony stock repurchases.

As I remember that budget was for 3 or 4 FY fiscal years and they did spend a big chunk of it with many acquisitions, investments and stocks repurchased. Having a big inflation is a bad idea to have the money sitting in the bank and it's a better idea to invest it into something profitable. So this is why they are investing a lot of it.

Last edited:

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Couldn't it be that's sony exposed it because they are selling one thing to Sony and other to public? They said, fuck this lying snake oil salesman, taste his own medicine..
Thats what Sony did, don’t think their intentions are to stop the sale, its to expose Phil and get him to stop using Sony as some kind of tool in their acquisition toolbox.
Phil coming out and saying shit like “Sony is important to the industry” or “had good talks with PS today” forced Jim’s hand.
MS wheeled out Phil, gave him a script and leveraged social media to get a leg up on the sale only to turn around and offer Jim just 3 more years of COD, and Jim is supposed help them? Jim basically told them if you want Activision fine but dont be calling on us like you need us to close the deal and offer us peanuts on the back end.
I bet Phil wont use Sony’s name anymore the same way Sony dont mention ms in anyway when they buy a dev.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
How dangerous would it be for Sony to acquire Warner Bros/Discovery as a whole? I say dangerous because WBD has 50B in debt.
Right now their market cap is ~$27.5B. The amount if IPs gained would be enormous and would greatly benefit the whole company (Sony).

Regulators would probably Mutombo block it though.....lol

america finger GIF

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Yes they are moving in a new building closer to Sony Group Corporation and SMEJ
I looked at the tweet and it didnt mention anything about sony. Is it normal that japanese companies move closer when theyve been/planning on being acquired?

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I looked at the tweet and it didnt mention anything about sony. Is it normal that japanese companies move closer when theyve been/planning on being acquired?
Sony is in the same district “Shibuya Station South Exit”. They are literally only a puddle jump away from each other. It’s not uncommon for subsidiaries to move closer to the parent company.

P

peter42O

Still hoping for Ember Lab, Arrowhead Studio and Deviation Games!!

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Those + SquareEnix would be great grabs.
I also heard from a friend , that Sony is working with 4 studios to join Playstation studios:

Mutant Insight = PS1 First Party JRPG Remake

JP Games = Openworld RPG (Hajime Tabata Crisis Core Director)

Bokeh Game Studios = Horror (former Siren developer)

Unseen = Horror (new founded Studio in Tokyo)

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
I also heard from a friend , that Sony is working with 4 studios to join Playstation studios:

Mutant Insight = PS1 First Party JRPG Remake

JP Games = Openworld RPG (Hajime Tabata Crisis Core Director)

Bokeh Game Studios = Horror (former Siren developer)

Unseen = Horror (new founded Studio in Tokyo)

I find this kinda hard to believe but would be awesome......lol

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I find this kinda hard to believe but would be awesome......lol
It’s a reliable source but I can’t tell. My friend doesn’t want me to name him. But I can tell this much Tabata’s exclusive game we will see soon enough on a PS Event and also Mutan Insight’s Remake.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
How dangerous would it be for Sony to acquire Warner Bros/Discovery as a whole? I say dangerous because WBD has 50B in debt.
Right now their market cap is ~$27.5B. The amount if IPs gained would be enormous and would greatly benefit the whole company (Sony).

Regulators would probably Mutombo block it though.....lol

america finger GIF

Too risky. If your market cap is half your debt, you're running a sinking ship.