Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
No, they don't kill Xbox, but they do prevent a monopoly.
I think it will kill xbox because actision/king is how the xbox division will prop its self up without burning through MS billions. I dont think they want to continue to set money on fire indefinitely for xbox.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
A sale dedicated only for Square Enix…is a novelty! 👀

Checked e-shop and Xbox Store, no such sale!
They included a bunch of Square Enix games on PS+ this month, maybe as part of the deal they got a store featuring for this month or decided to make this special sale to find extra sales thanks to the related visibility bump.

If Sony does buy Square Enix, i'm curious if it be like bungie or make stuff exclusive.
It would make sense that any big publisher they would buy would remain multiplatform, as MS did until now with Minecraft and Zenimax or as Sony did with Bungie.

In the case of Sony's multiplatform publisher acquisitions would be more related to:
  1. To add the revenue and profit they made on top of what they have
  2. Helping them reach (and get money from) players who aren't and won't be on PS but are on rival consoles, PC or mobile
  3. Securing their content protecting it from other acquisitions who keep them outside PS
  4. Blocking total/timed/console exclusives from them on rival consoles from them
  5. Securing legacy stuff for PS+ and blocking it from rival subs
  6. To tie more popular brands to them and use them to improve the marketing of the platform
  7. Secure content, knowledge and or experience on genres or game types where they don't excel with 1st and 2nd party offerings
  8. To get IPs with potential for their movie/tv series/anime stuff
Making all their games exclusive would basically kill or dramatically reduce the points 1 or 2. To the point of not making the investment profitable in at least a ton of years.

In addition to this, Sony is a clear market leader in several gaming areas/markets so it could raise regulator concerns. MS raised them being very far from being a market leader in any gaming market area and having a way smaller market share than Sony, so it would be easier to get blocked in Sony's case.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
They included a bunch of Square Enix games on PS+ this month, maybe as part of the deal they got a store featuring for this month or decided to make this special sale to find extra sales thanks to the related visibility bump.

It would make sense that any big publisher they would buy would remain multiplatform, as MS did until now with Minecraft and Zenimax or as Sony did with Bungie.

In the case of Sony's multiplatform publisher acquisitions would be more related to:
  1. To add the revenue and profit they made on top of what they have
  2. Helping them reach (and get money from) players who aren't and won't be on PS but are on rival consoles, PC or mobile
  3. Securing their content protecting it from other acquisitions who keep them outside PS
  4. Blocking total/timed/console exclusives from them on rival consoles from them
  5. Securing legacy stuff for PS+ and blocking it from rival subs
  6. To tie more popular brands to them and use them to improve the marketing of the platform
  7. Secure content, knowledge and or experience on genres or game types where they don't excel with 1st and 2nd party offerings
  8. To get IPs with potential for their movie/tv series/anime stuff
Making all their games exclusive would basically kill or dramatically reduce the points 1 or 2. To the point of not making the investment profitable in at least a ton of years.

In addition to this, Sony is a clear market leader in several gaming areas/markets so it could raise regulator concerns. MS raised them being very far from being a market leader in any gaming market area and having a way smaller market share than Sony, so it would be easier to get blocked in Sony's case.
Zenimax is no longer console agnostic.

Of course ESO, Doom, etc will continue to be supported on Playstation, and Deathloop and Ghostwrite Tokyo was an honouring of existing deals. But that's it.

Starfield, next Doom/ Quake, ES6 etc will be Xbox/PC exclusive.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Zenimax is no longer console agnostic.

Of course ESO, Doom, etc will continue to be supported on Playstation, and Deathloop and Ghostwrite Tokyo was an honouring of existing deals. But that's it.

Starfield, next Doom/ Quake, ES6 etc will be Xbox/PC exclusive.
Until now they don't have released a single Xbox exclusive. And we'll have to see if the ones who will like Starfield will end being timed console exclusives as the Xbox CFO said (that their plans for Bethesda were multi or timed more than exclusives) or not.

Time will tell, but until now they have a total of zero Xbox exclusives.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think May 2023.......they'll be closer to knowing the outcome of the ABK acquisition. (If not already completed)
If Sony really ends buying SE I think they'll wait to announced it on E3 2023. Seems the UK regulator won't complete their work with ABK until March 2023 and I think they may have to do extra paperwork after it.

Summer 2023 megaton would be a good timing, a few months after the PSVR2 release, the PS5 shipping under fire during several months probably matching supply and demand to a point consoles are found regularly in store shelves, it would be a good counter to the announcement of ABK acquisition being completed and also a good megaton for Sony to have an E3 conference/Showcase, going back to E3 kicking the door.

No, they don't kill Xbox, but they do prevent a monopoly.
What a joke, not even in Phil Spencers's wetest dreams MS is going to be close not from a monopoly. MS won't be even market leader in a gaming market as a whole or in consoles, game subs, PC, mobile and cloud gaming. They are too far for being market leaders.

My concern is the Saudis willing to throw billions around now as well. Feels like they cant just sit around and wait.
The US military kills more people and does more awful things than the Saudis and they may give $22B to MS for Hololens but seems isn't good enough for them:

Are you concerned about using Microsoft's gaming device to kill people instead of to play Minecraft? And how about being concerned with Saudis to don't buy them oil?

Is it possible square is already bought by sony but they just dont have to publicly mention it because some obscure japanese law or code of honor?
Nah, I think they didn't buy it but may be negotiating it and preparing stuff like restructuring it. And also strategically waiting for the regulators approve the ABK deal before Sony would announce a publisher acquisition to make sure they don't make things easier to MS and to get an easier and faster approval from regulators (once completed Sony could say them 'MS bought ABK so we have to compete buying/securing partners like SE').

And also strategically may want to wait until demand and supply of PS5 is back to normality, it isn't a good momento to waste hype bullets now, specially when they may keep the attention on GoW and PSVR2. I think that around summer (E3) would be a good moment to annouce any big publisher acquisition if they already have any secured.

Last edited:

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
I dont think sony does anything public until a verdict is out on the activision. If they kill that deal, they essentially kill xbox imo and they both know it.
Same for PS, if the deal goes thru it pretty much hurts Sony to the point where they might have to consider closing or selling sie if Sony is unable to come up with a couple fps ip. MS would pretty much own the wrpg and all the top shooters. How would Sony compete with all that?
This buyout is gonna kill one of them depending on the outcome imo.

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Same for PS, if the deal goes thru it pretty much hurts Sony to the point where they might have to consider closing or selling sie if Sony is unable to come up with a couple fps ip. MS would pretty much own the wrpg and all the top shooters. How would Sony compete with all that?
I don't think it'll be that dramatic for either one. What might end up killing xbox is Microsoft getting another ceo who doesn't feel like wasting anymore money propping up xbox.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I disagree with that. Sony and playstation can survive without cod, but theyll have to make more moves and spend more money than theyd want to im sure. I still think they go after a japanese pub or 2 despite their rhetoric now. Nintendo doesnt have cod and look at them now.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Until now they don't have released a single Xbox exclusive. And we'll have to see if the ones who will like Starfield will end being timed console exclusives as the Xbox CFO said (that their plans for Bethesda were multi or timed more than exclusives) or not.

Time will tell, but until now they have a total of zero Xbox exclusives.
When did they say Starfield will be a timed exclusive?

No chance that happened their wording on Bethesda was pretty clear, it was the reference to Activision content that was potentially open:

Speaking during a Bethesda and Xbox roundtable event today, Spencer revealed that Xbox Game Pass is at the heart of this Bethesda deal. “If you’re an Xbox customer, the thing I want you to know is that this is about delivering great exclusive games for you that ship on platforms where Game Pass exists,” said Spencer. “That’s our goal, that’s why we’re doing this, that’s the root of this partnership that we’re building.”

“There’s contractual obligations that we’re going to see through, as we always do in every one of these instances,” says Spencer. “We have games that exist on other platforms, and we’re gonna go support those games on the platforms they’re on. There’s communities of players and we love those communities and we’ll continue to invest in them.”

Clear as day. The only reason there have been zero exclusives so far is because Sony had a prior agreement for Deathloop and Ghostwrite: Tokyo, and because Zenimax studios have been beset by delays, and because MS is shit at managing studios.

No chance Starfield and other new IPs are coming to Playstation. Locking down new IPs is all about forcing the GamePass model as they try to consolidate huge parts of the industry.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Har har har, he he he, ho ho ho.
With major fps off the plate for Sony from Bethesda, plus their wrpg. Now toss in cod being nixed off the platform and Sony have a BIG problem.
If the deal fails i don’t see nedela sticking it out with xbox.

I disagree with that. Sony and playstation can survive without cod, but theyll have to make more moves and spend more money than theyd want to im sure. I still think they go after a japanese pub or 2 despite their rhetoric now. Nintendo doesnt have cod and look at them now.
Spend more money when they just lost a chunk of recurring revenue from cod casuals?
PS is synonymous with cod, they cant afford to lose it and somehow be ok or even better. And thats just cod.
They also likely to lose all major Bethesda ip. Imagine a gaming platform without cod, tes, fallout, doom. That is not a good situation for Sony, thats considerable damage. What do you think folks are playing on ps in between 1st party releases?

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
With major fps off the plate for Sony from Bethesda, plus their wrpg. Now toss in cod being nixed off the platform and Sony have a BIG problem.

Spend more money when they just lost a chunk of recurring revenue from cod casuals?
PS is synonymous with cod, they cant afford to lose it and somehow be ok or even better. And thats just cod.
They also likely to lose all major Bethesda ip. Imagine a gaming platform without cod, tes, fallout, doom. That is not a good situation for Sony, thats considerable damage. What do you think folks are playing on ps in between 1st party releases?
TES and fallout come out once every 10 years. Doom is big on pc and did like 3-4 million on both consoles, so its not THAT huge a franchise. Bethesda in general has really gone down hill. Yes losing cod will hurt sonys bottom line, but im sure one or two of the GAAS they have in development can stem the bleeding plus they have bungie and their new ip on the way. What sony needs to do is make sure they dont lose key partners like square and capcom.

Look im not saying its all sunshine and rainbows for sony. They need to acquire a publisher or 2 of their own and hope one of these GAAS really hit. Its all within their means i guess is what im saying even if its not exactly what they want to do.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

Halloween Working Out GIF by Peloton

• haha
Reactions: Darth Vader
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
There is somebody I looked up:

In this article tweeted by Square Enix, there is this account for official Square Enix staff:

Playstation is the only one who is following this account, neither does Nintendo or Xbox. I would see it, because I also follow Xbox, Phil Spencer and Nintendo accounts on Twitter. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Second look how big this new HQ of Square Enix will be! There will be space for 5000 employees. And it’s the most expensive area in Tokyo. 👇🏻
This building is even bigger than the whole of Sammy Sega Corporation!

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
TES and fallout come out once every 10 years. Doom is big on pc and did like 3-4 million on both consoles, so its not THAT huge a franchise. Bethesda in general has really gone down hill. Yes losing cod will hurt sonys bottom line, but im sure one or two of the GAAS they have in development can stem the bleeding plus they have bungie and their new ip on the way. What sony needs to do is make sure they dont lose key partners like square and capcom.

Look im not saying its all sunshine and rainbows for sony. They need to acquire a publisher or 2 of their own and hope one of these GAAS really hit. Its all within their means i guess is what im saying even if its not exactly what they want to do.
You lose cod and you take their psn+ revenue, you take the cod casuals that potentially buy 1st party games because they already on the platform for cod, you lose GTA players that play gta with their cod friends then you lose gta psn+ revenue. There is a huge knock on effect. There is no ok after this, its too many major ip lost to the platform that are tied to their bottom line.