Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Here is a wild one: Valve

Think about it this way, Valve has industry leading VR and a storefront. Sony needs all the VR they can get to fight off Facebook and their VR which is rapidly growing to become the most popular vr headset. Getting Valve to make console exclusive VR titles for PSVR2 would be a great selling point for the headset, and Valve would actually get off their ass and make games. When Valve makes something it's always a banger so they've got talent on their side too. Steam being integrated with Playstation store could help tremendously with their PC porting plans, and to top it off, they could bite into MS's bread and butter: windows.

Valve have been making steamos to get away from Windows for a while now, and with the backing of Sony, not only steamos but Linux as a whole could rise up as an operating system. They could bundle steamos with more gaming PCs and overtake windows in market share. If you attack MS's main source of revenue, not only Xbox would come crumbling down but MS as well, it's a genius strategy.

This is all a little fantasy I concocted in my head though and i doubt Valve would sell since they're a private company. And I have 0 idea what Sony would really do with Valve. Frankly I don't even want something like this, industry consolidation and exclusives and all. It'd be a wild ride if it did happen though
This is too much fantasy cause Gaben...

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Obviously, they wouldn't sell if Apple/Amazon, etc. wasn't intent on keeping PlayStation. My thinking is that they're an $85B dollar company last time I checked and going head to head with $2T dollar companies isn't going to end in their favor but if they had an Apple or Amazon backing up PlayStation like a Microsoft is backing up Xbox, then it becomes a completely different story.
That’s not entirely true. Sony has split their stock 30 years ago. They are listed in American and Japanese Stock Exchange. Would you put both together, then they would have a bigger value than Disney.

P

peter42O

That’s not entirely true. Sony has split their stock 30 years ago. They are listed in American and Japanese Stock Exchange. Would you put both together, then they would have a bigger value than Disney.

Disney has a market cap of just over $170B and while double the $85B cap, that's still nowhere near a company that has a market cap of $2T dollars. In an era where acquisitions are going to keep happening, it would obviously be better to have more money than less money. It's just how I see it.

Either way, Sony needs to go after the studios they want regardless of what anyone else is doing and get them done sooner rather than later.

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
This is too much fantasy cause Gaben...
Gaben hated the PS3 but i dont know any of his opinions on the modern playstations. He probably likes them more since they aren't as much of a pain in the ass to port games to. Then again, he hasn't even made any games for them because valve since 2012 have basically retired from making software with a few games as an exception

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
I wish BioWare wasn't sold to EA and they stayed in their prime, then it would be a no brainer.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022

Taiko no Tatsujin is owned by Bandai Namco. Konami has DanceDanceRevolution and Beatmania IIDX which are arguably more popular than taiko
I wouldn't mind a return of ddr and guitar hero products on modern online systems. Treat them as their own platform/ecosystem and make sure to keep the dlc song purchases honored going forward with each console gen. As long as you keep the core product active, you can do weird experimental things on the side like that white/black guitar note thing the ps4 got.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Here is a wild one: Valve

Think about it this way, Valve has industry leading VR and a storefront. Sony needs all the VR they can get to fight off Facebook and their VR which is rapidly growing to become the most popular vr headset. Getting Valve to make console exclusive VR titles for PSVR2 would be a great selling point for the headset, and Valve would actually get off their ass and make games. When Valve makes something it's always a banger so they've got talent on their side too. Steam being integrated with Playstation store could help tremendously with their PC porting plans, and to top it off, they could bite into MS's bread and butter: windows.

Valve have been making steamos to get away from Windows for a while now, and with the backing of Sony, not only steamos but Linux as a whole could rise up as an operating system. They could bundle steamos with more gaming PCs and overtake windows in market share. If you attack MS's main source of revenue, not only Xbox would come crumbling down but MS as well, it's a genius strategy.

This is all a little fantasy I concocted in my head though and i doubt Valve would sell since they're a private company. And I have 0 idea what Sony would really do with Valve. Frankly I don't even want something like this, industry consolidation and exclusives and all. It'd be a wild ride if it did happen though

Aren't you a smart cookie.... if anyone has been seeing Tweets from Shu and Cory have been using Steam Decks and posting a lot of pictures. Shu even got his early.

I really think Sony want to be serious platform owners and wouldn't move games to PC unless it was in service of a grander plan.

I just wonder why they invested in Epic if they were gonna buy Steam though...so there are a few questions.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Aren't you a smart cookie.... if anyone has been seeing Tweets from Shu and Cory have been using Steam Decks and posting a lot of pictures. Shu even got his early.

I really think Sony want to be serious platform owners and wouldn't move games to PC unless it was in service of a grander plan.

I just wonder why they invested in Epic if they were gonna buy Steam though...so there are a few questions.

They’re not buying steam or epic, lets not go down this path lol

I doubt the FTC would even allow it.

Reactions: Bryank75

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
I wouldn't mind a return of ddr and guitar hero products on modern online systems.
oh of course i definitely agree
just that the original poster made it seem like Taiko was owned by Konami and not namco, which is just a funny thought to me since the franchise would be much different if konami owned it

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryank75

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
So sony should just roll over and take it, and then not do anything to boot?

That's not what I said? I said the best is for the acquisition not to go through and for sony not to buy publishers. These acts occur one as a consequence of another. If this goes through, Sony should and will acquire a publisher. If it doesn't, I doubt they will.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Sony being under siege now is nothing compared to what it could end up being. Apple, Amazon, Tencent and Saudi Arabia haven't even gone all in yet. Imagine when they do. If anything, Sony should really look to merge or sell to Apple or Amazon because that would make them a banner under a $2T dollar company which is exactly what they're going to need compared to all these other behemoths.

You wish it happened, don't you? It won't.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
thats also a good reason. Epic has quite a lot up their sleeve

Its a good company to be tied to right now. They have damn near a monopoly with Unreal Engine at this point, which is why im 100% certain Sony wouldn’t be able to buy them out. They could eventually just continue to increase their shares but Tencent is already there.

Sony buying epic would give them way too much power with licensing UE5, owning Epic Games Store, and the IP

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
You wish it happened, don't you? It won't.

People want Playstation to get bought out so it can compete with microsoft in buying other publishers lol

Like, how about sony just continue making really good games instead of chasing stale ass western IP that might not even be around in 10 years? Yall dont know how quickly the tide can change in gaming, IP don’t last forever.

Tomorrow there will be a new Fortnite, or Apex, or CoD. The most profitable games this gen will be new IP