Sony’s Hiroki Totoki: “Prioritising Intellectual Property”

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony President, CFO & COO Hiroki Totoki:
"We will continue to make strategic investments going forward, prioritising intellectual property."
IMG_6312.jpeg

• fire
Reactions: Unchained

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
No news. Yep, but not in the short term. For the short term they paused acquisitions and will spend the releated budget in other stuff.

In 2-3 years they'll branch out their banks division and sell 80% of it to spend that cash in acquisitions mostly for their entertainment divisions.

Would be nice if this meant more legacy IP (Killzone, Resistance etc) and not just more Horizon and The Last of Us
When in a Sony corporate strategy level they mention for their acquisitions "IP" or "content IP" they don't only mean to acquire big existing brands.

In the context of gaming it also mean to acquire support teams to help them work in existing IPs as support teams (Valkyrie, Bluepoint, Firesprite, Nixxes...) or to create new IP or develop existing ones (Bungie, Housemarque, Insomniac, Haven, Firewalk, Lasengle, Housemarque...).

So some of these acquisitions also help them work in legacy IP, an example being Firesprite (mostly Wipeout or Motorstorm devs) working on Twisted Metal, or Bluepoint who could work on remakes like Demon's Souls.

image.png

And well, remember that they aren't talking only about games:

image.png

Last edited:

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
No news. Yep, but not in the short term. For the short term they paused acquisitions and will spend the releated budget in other stuff.

In 2-3 years they'll branch out their banks division and sell 80% of it to spend that cash in acquisitions mostly for their entertainment divisions.
They need to take loans then

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Fucking Afeela, InZone, Q Lite.
What happened to the sense of street cred or style? This that Apple marketers fault?

They just seem so detached from what customers want from them...

InZone sounds like an off-brand running shoe or some shit!

Q-Lite? Who asked for a streaming handheld? Streaming keeps failing and these fucks keep shoving it down our throats.

I'm a big car-lover and a Sony car coulda been something cool, it coulda been like a Porsche or something, it just needed a few tweaks and an aggressive name... but that was too hard for them, they had to cut the balls off the entire project. Might as well be a fucking Nissan Cube now...

What do we want?

A PS4 dualshock but completely usable on PS5, so people can have different controller options from the official source.

A real handheld that can do ps4 games and plays all your PS4 catalog that youve built up. Or PS4 versions of current games.

Acquisitions worth a damn and for them to give Microsoft a bloody nose.

PS5 themes

More single player story games.

Fully exclusive games, no PC ports (Being selfish here)

I'd love the movie store to come back to PSN

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
Beginning of this gen they were talking about how Sony were in the best position to get ip in the consolidation race but all they got was Destiny and Marathon. Now they are saying the same shit again.
b5d

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
There's been gaming incompetence at the top of Sony for decades except when Kaz was in charge

They absolutely do not value their money maker the way it should

The fact they are spending billions one indian TV is laughable

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
There's been gaming incompetence at the top of Sony for decades except when Kaz was in charge

They absolutely do not value their money maker the way it should

The fact they are spending billions one indian TV is laughable
That media thing is their focus Pictures division. They are a big group and Computer/Interactive Entertainment is only 1 in 4 of their big division.

Kaz Hirai and Ken Kutaragi kinda fucks early gen PS3 though. Only after Andrew House takes the wheel it bounds back as great as it is today.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
They just seem so detached from what customers want from them...

InZone sounds like an off-brand running shoe or some shit!

Q-Lite? Who asked for a streaming handheld? Streaming keeps failing and these fucks keep shoving it down our throats.

I'm a big car-lover and a Sony car coulda been something cool, it coulda been like a Porsche or something, it just needed a few tweaks and an aggressive name... but that was too hard for them, they had to cut the balls off the entire project. Might as well be a fucking Nissan Cube now...

What do we want?

A PS4 dualshock but completely usable on PS5, so people can have different controller options from the official source.

A real handheld that can do ps4 games and plays all your PS4 catalog that youve built up. Or PS4 versions of current games.

Acquisitions worth a damn and for them to give Microsoft a bloody nose.

PS5 themes

More single player story games.

Fully exclusive games, no PC ports (Being selfish here)

I'd love the movie store to come back to PSN
Ooo we making this list? I gotta be less stoned.

I didn't save the picture when I saw it, but the fact some dude has PS symbol breaklights is the coolest thing ever, and the fact that the official Sony car doesn't is the most Sony thing ever. That MF'er better play the PS1 two themes over the start of the engine coming to life ewen I turn the key.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
For the film studio? Fine. For games? I really think thats a mistake. Focus on game/studio quality and "IP" will just spring up without actively pushing.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Is he the incompetent one? Or was it Yoshida? Genuinely asking btw.
Nah not them. Yoshida actually one of the leaders who successfully restructured the entire company. It’s Hermen Hulst and Jim Ryan who are damaging the PlayStation brand. Nobody asked them to waste resources for PC gaming. Nobody wanted this GaaS lineup.
We need back a Japanese at the top of SIE.

Reactions: Umar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They need to take loans then
No need to take them, they already have cash that they could use in investment or acquisitions, and also actives they could sell to get even more cash if some day is needed.

But they mentioned that prefered to leave acquisitions for the mid to long term because of current bad market context (maybe stuff like dollar/yen exchange, inflation or stuff like that, or regulators being too agresive with big game acquisitions and now knowing Sony is a big market leader). And also want to take their time to properly calculate valuations and find the best timing.

In addition to this, maybe they detected good opportunities but won't be ready to sell until a handful years in the future. Example: Square Enix mentioned they want to turn some of their studios into separate companies to allow external investors invest directly on them. Maybe that mean that instead of buying the whole SE, maybe both Sony and SE think it's better for them to sell Sony only a portion of SE (or a portion of certain studios / IPs).

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
Nah not them. Yoshida actually one of the leaders who successfully restructured the entire company. It’s Hermen Hulst and Jim Ryan who are damaging the PlayStation brand. Nobody asked them to waste resources for PC gaming. Nobody wanted this GaaS lineup.
We need back a Japanese at the top of SIE.
jingle all the way christmas movies GIF

Reactions: Umar