Sony's latest update to Remote Play has completely ruined it. (v.5.5.0.8250)

About a week ago Sony pushed an update to the Remote Play app that is so awful I can't figure out what it was meant to improve or how anyone allowed it to be pushed to production. I use Remote Play under Windows 10 to stream from my PS4 Pro on my local network so that I can capture the window with OBS and stream to Twitch.

Since the latest update - the one that made the initial splash screen black instead of the old white - the quality of the stream itself has been terrible. The image is extremely compressed and is constantly jittering like it's unable to lock in a consistent FPS rate.

On top of that, OBS used to be able to capture the Remote Play window without capturing the screen-bottom overlay that appears when you use the keyboard/mouse. Now, that overlay appears in streams/recordings and attempting to change the type of capture method that OBS uses simply causes Remote Play to crash instantly as soon as it tries to call the window thread for capture.

They even screwed up controller input. Load up a character action game or some other title where you can spin the left stick quickly. The controller doesn't register diagonals quickly enough anymore, so you end up with a bunch of dropped inputs. For example, I tested using Kingdom Hearts III. When I play directly on my PS4 Pro, spinning the left stick in circles causes Sora to either spin in place or run in a tight circle. When I play using the new version of Remote Play, spinning the left stick causes Sora to spasm in place and jitter around constantly entering and leaving his "tiptoeing" animation.

How did this update get pushed out? Nothing about the program is better, it's worse across the board, and that's when it's even functional now.

Did no one test this?

As an example, I started playing Horizon: Zero Dawn yesterday using the new version of Remote Play, and it's awful.
This is "Max Quality/1080p/60FPS" according to Remote Play, with the in-game setting toggled to "Prioritize Performance."
It looks almost fine...when you're standing completely still. Any motion gets absolutely crushed by the compression and motion blur gets turned into a smearing, stuttering mess. It honestly started giving me a headache. During that Sawtooth encounter there's FPS drops into the teens.

As a contrast, here's how the app ran only about a month ago and with my capture set for about 1/3rd less total bitrate.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
GIF by Got Talent Global

Maaan, this is bad news to hear

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Interesting, it's a feature I've never used but have you tried it with a few different games?

All you can do is leave a message with PlayStation support I guess but these things take time to fix, it's one of the reasons I am very strongly against streaming.

I hope it gets solved for you, maybe they already have people on it...

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
With the move to PC ports PS quality has been steadily decreasing. Games are also shipping with more and more bugs, so it's not a new thing.

• haha
Reactions: Deleted member 51
OP
OP
Soul Unison
I threw this comparison together really quickly.

Latest version of the official Sony Remote Play app versus Chiaki, an open-source Remote Play app.
I think it's easiest to see the difference in how the official app absolutely CRUSHES the image when the camera pans around the character quickly in the beginning whereas Chiaki manages to maintain most of the motion blur. As a note that brief green flash in the Chiaki capture isn't actually the fault of remote play but is an encoding issue that happens occasionally with editing Twitch highlights and isn't present in gameplay or on the unedited stream.

Pretty much anytime there's camera or quick character movement or on-screen effects with high contrast like bright flashes of light the official app completely goes to hell and just turns into a checkerboarded mess until motion ceases.

They are falling apart I tell you. I think they are going to announce they are going bankrupt by the end of the month.

Uh-huh, sure.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I remember when I tried remote play on my ps3 to my PSP !

Didn't know that someone actually used that 😂.

OP
OP
Soul Unison
I remember when I tried remote play on my ps3 to my PSP !

Didn't know that someone actually used that 😂.

It's actually a really popular feature that's always worked very solidly on the PS4, which is part of why this sudden mess is so confusing.
Remote Play is great on LAN for playing PS games, for example, at your desk when someone else is using the TV, or to stream to Twitch/YouTube without needing additional hardware like a dedicated capture card or dealing with the abysmal quality, obnoxious overlays and lack of customization when using the system's built-in streaming options.

With this I can easily and instantly throw a chatbox, webcam or all sorts of other overlays and widgets over console gameplay and even edit live and on the fly.

D

Deleted member 51

Can you revert to an earlier version?

With the move to PC ports PS quality has been steadily decreasing. Games are also shipping with more and more bugs, so it's not a new thing.
Lol there is absolutely no correlation between those two.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Can you revert to an earlier version?

Lol there is absolutely no correlation between those two.

No? It's only a coincidence then. TLOU PT I had bugs completely uncharacteristic of Naughty Dog.. Even PT II. HFW was very buggy at launch, especially on the graphical department.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I don't see what Naughty Dog or Guerilla Games have to do with Remote Play at all.

Read my previous post. Sony has been giving less of a shit about console related affairs. Games are more buggy, now the app with unacceptable issues. Seems like gaming on consoles, or whatever facilitates it, is becoming less and less important.

MScarpa

28 Jul 2022
I use the PSPlay app. It hasn't changed anything for me atleast, or that I have noticed. I was streaming Days Gone couple days ago.

D

Deleted member 51

No? It's only a coincidence then. TLOU PT I had bugs completely uncharacteristic of Naughty Dog.. Even PT II. HFW was very buggy at launch, especially on the graphical department.
Definitely coincidence to say the least. It makes no sense at all to blame the same platform, which the games with supposed "better"quality control, were also made on. PC.