Sony's latest update to Remote Play has completely ruined it. (v.5.5.0.8250)

OP
OP
Soul Unison
That is sad to hear.
I hope Sony can fix these issues fast.

While that you can use the previous version.

You can't though, really.

Apparently, you can uninstall and search for the installer for previous versions, but if you do so you can only stream over local networks and need to manually re-register the console every time you launch the app.

For the time being I recommend the open-source replacement app "Chiaki," though setting it up will require a bit of tech savvy and some tinkering with Python scripts and installations in order to intercept a PSN login and grab a credential string the app needs in order to the convince your PlayStation it's the official app and allow it to register.

OP
OP
Soul Unison
Why? You didn’t use it before? I’m confused here.

In Reddit others that are having similar issues are using the previous version.

Remote Play checks for updates every time it's launched. If you deny the update you have to sign into PSN anew and manually re-register your console with your PC/Phone/Tablet/Etc. by generating a new PIN every single time you start a Remote Play session. Additionally, you're completely locked out of streaming from your console over an internet connection - it will only connect over a LAN. Imagine if, like, every time you wanted to turn on your TV you had to do three or four-factor authentication. It's an incredible hassle.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Wtf are Sony playing at? It's stupid crap like this that annoys me. Remote Play has worked just fine since like PSP/PS3 era. Why futz with it now?

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Soul Unison
OP
OP
Soul Unison
Wtf are Sony playing at? It's stupid crap like this that annoys me. Remote Play has worked just fine since like PSP/PS3 era. Why futz with it now?

Well, not really. Remote Play was really spotty during the PS3/PSP era and was generally only for a short list of titles + PS1 classics.
Starting with the PS4 Sony made it a required feature for developers and releases across the board, pushing and supporting it at the OS level.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Well, not really. Remote Play was really spotty during the PS3/PSP era and was generally only for a short list of titles + PS1 classics.
Starting with the PS4 Sony made it a required feature for developers and releases across the board, pushing and supporting it at the OS level.
I knew I was pushing it too far back tbh when i said that as far as stability/not same type of remote play. Moreso that it existed at all back then.

But yeah, extremely frustrating turn of events.