Speculation: Sony buys EA - and here is why!

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
You start sounding like Xbots. What’s with this revenge fantasies?
Hell no EA. I swear people want PlayStation to be screwed. F@ck this big western bloated publishers.

Reactions: Hastelander
OP
OP

8BiTw0LF

You start sounding like Xbots. What’s with this revenge fantasies?
Hell no EA. I swear people want PlayStation to be screwed. F@ck this big western bloated publishers.
I don't care about the ActiBlizz acquisition, so there's no "revenge fantasies" on my part. There is however some very good points to why EA would be a great get for Sony.

I can't find a better suited publisher to acquire for Sony. They got mobile, live-service and share some of the biggest franchises in entertainment.

Reactions: Hastelander

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I don't care about the ActiBlizz acquisition, so there's no "revenge fantasies" on my part. There is however some very good points to why EA would be a great get for Sony.

I can't find a better suited publisher to acquire for Sony. They got mobile, live-service and share some of the biggest franchises in entertainment.
EA is too expensive an has zero to nothing of value for Sony as a whole corporation.
Which good IPs does EA own?
You mean FIFA (don’t even know how the new game‘s title), Battlefield and NFS?
Expect of the football game all are dead franchises. Don’t mention Star Wars or Marvel games, not their IPs.

I can name you a ton of better suited gaming companies than EA: Sega, Square Enix, Konami and Capcom. They cost much less and have much more popular franchises. They all offer huge expertise in Mobile Gaming, have Japanese games which are beloved across global audiences. Each franchise: Sonic, Final Fantasy, Persona, Resident Evil have trans-media appeal. EA doesn’t have this.
Sony won’t spend $40B for a mega sized publisher. Doubt me or not but if Sony acquires a publisher it will be someone Japanese. People need to understand that budget for M&A are for whole Sony Corp. Sony is not only PlayStation. Sony will look for synergies if they do acquire a major gaming company.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
EA is too expensive an has zero to nothing of value for Sony as a whole corporation.
Expect of the football game all are dead franchises. Don’t mention Star Wars or Marvel games, not their IPs.

I can name you a ton of better suited gaming companies than EA: Sega, Square Enix, Konami and Capcom. They cost much less and have much more popular franchises. They all offer huge expertise in Mobile Gaming, have Japanese games which are beloved across global audiences. Each franchise: Sonic, Final Fantasy, Persona, Resident Evil have trans-media appeal. EA doesn’t have this.
Sony won’t spend $40B for a mega sized publisher. Doubt me or not but if Sony acquires a publisher it will be someone Japanese. People need to understand that budget for M&A are for whole Sony Corp. Sony is not only PlayStation. Sony will look for synergies if they do acquire a major gaming company.
Great point about EA that i didnt consider is that they license so many of their games that it wouldnt really be worth it to own them.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
EA has a market cap of $34.47B. Recent big acquisitions have been paid at a 40-60% premium. Let's say Sony would pay 40%, that's $48.26B.

Sony has a market cap of $106B and obviously only a small portion of it is cash and equivalents. So no, Sony can't buy EA because it's too expensive for them.

In addition to this, they have under $140M for acquisitions, investments and stocks repurchases for this fiscal year and said they don't plan acquisitions for the short term and that pushed back to the mid to long term (maybe once they complete the spinoff and selling of 80% of their banks division, a process that will take 2-3 years).

So they won't buy EA. In addition to this, it would be a finantial suicide for EA or whoever else could by EA to remove the EA games from PS because to make the EA games is very expensive and need the PS revenue and moneyhats, in the same way that also is to remove CoD from PS. In addition to this, EA is in a decade long growing trend and may improve because now without ABK is closer to become again the biggest and most important 3rd party publisher.

Meaning, they can get better deals negotiating with platform holders to ask for a better revenue cut or marketing deals. Which means it will help them grow even more. And all that means that stakeholders even if they'd want to sell know it isn't good time to do it because it's very likely that the value of their stocks will continue growing too, so to sell in a few years for now would give them way more money than to sell now.

revenue-of-electronic-arts-since-2005.jpg

TLDR: Sony can't buy EA, Sony said won't make important acquisitions for a while, EA very likely don't want to sell, and if someone would buy EA (something I think won't happen) and doesn't want to commit finantial suicide would keep the EA games on PlayStation.

Market cap has nothing to do with cash and equivalents. It's not a part of the market cap.

Shares were issued for Sony many years ago to raise capital, those shares were bought by many banks, corporations, funds and individuals.... the value of those stocks fluctuates and depends on how people perceive the company and its value.
The stock holders do get dividends and can sell their stock for more or less than they bought it for, which is called capital gains.

The cash in Sony's accounts has nothing to do with the stock explained above.
The cash is a portion of the profit from annual operations after they have paid interest, tax and dividends, compiled each year.

Sony can issue new stock to raise more funds but it may lower the value of each share, depending on demand....

Not saying Sony will buy EA... but I explained the strategic benefits.

Of course EA FC and other sports games would continue everywhere. I don't think anyone was saying otherwise....

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

I agree, the Japanese companies are better. But I feel the Xbox camp are very defensive about EA and it would deeply hurt them if Sony bought them.... even a majority stake.

Personally, I prefer all the companies you mentioned.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Didn't know it was since then. I thought it was since the PS2 days.

Maybe that's why they're selling Sony Financial Group - and firing a lot of their first party developers - and closing some of their live service projects. If they obtain EA, they got one of the biggest live service cashcows in the business, Apex Legends.

Remember Microsoft fired 10k people right before the ActiBlizz acquisition?

Yeah.... could be, who knows!

It's not worth getting caught up on it but it's funny to imagine the absolute panic it would cause and the hypocrisy of those that supported the Acti deal.

Reactions: 8BiTw0LF

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
EA has a market cap of $34.47B. Recent big acquisitions have been paid at a 40-60% premium. Let's say Sony would pay 40%, that's $48.26B.

Sony has a market cap of $106B and obviously only a small portion of it is cash and equivalents. So no, Sony can't buy EA because it's too expensive for them.

In addition to this, they have under $140M for acquisitions, investments and stocks repurchases for this fiscal year and said they don't plan acquisitions for the short term and that pushed back to the mid to long term (maybe once they complete the spinoff and selling of 80% of their banks division, a process that will take 2-3 years).

So they won't buy EA. In addition to this, it would be a finantial suicide for EA or whoever else could by EA to remove the EA games from PS because to make the EA games is very expensive and need the PS revenue and moneyhats, in the same way that also is to remove CoD from PS. In addition to this, EA is in a decade long growing trend and may improve because now without ABK is closer to become again the biggest and most important 3rd party publisher.

Meaning, they can get better deals negotiating with platform holders to ask for a better revenue cut or marketing deals. Which means it will help them grow even more. And all that means that stakeholders even if they'd want to sell know it isn't good time to do it because it's very likely that the value of their stocks will continue growing too, so to sell in a few years for now would give them way more money than to sell now.

revenue-of-electronic-arts-since-2005.jpg

TLDR: Sony can't buy EA, Sony said won't make important acquisitions for a while, EA very likely don't want to sell, and if someone would buy EA (something I think won't happen) and doesn't want to commit finantial suicide would keep the EA games on PlayStation.
But there's other ways to either raise cash or buy with "not cash".

Sony could leverage their market share breakdown by at least getting 100% of mtx from EA games on PS platform. EA have some mobile ip like PVZ, Peggle, PopCap's stock if they still own them etc.

I personally probably wouldn't make a play for EA, but Sony could do it some way and one could make sound arguments for it.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
This is what I want more than anything now

I'm worried about some of the rumors I heard about Hermen, so I really hope that Sony do push to revitalize Japanese development and invest in acquiring major players there and expanding.

We all need that. It was always a huge part of what made PlayStation special to us all.

Reactions: Diah

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I'm worried about some of the rumors I heard about Hermen, so I really hope that Sony do push to revitalize Japanese development and invest in acquiring major players there and expanding.

We all need that. It was always a huge part of what made PlayStation special to us all.
You mean what Jaffe said?
It’s Jaffe lol. Lately he has been telling a lot of bs.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
You mean what Jaffe said?
It’s Jaffe lol. Lately he has been telling a lot of bs.

No no, there was a tweet about Hermen not wanting Japanese development or being against it or something along those lines...

If someone at PlayStation is against having Japanese developers, they shouldn't be working for PlayStation at all.

If they want PC ports, I also think the same line should be applied.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
No no, there was a tweet about Hermen not wanting Japanese development or being against it or something along those lines...

If someone at PlayStation is against having Japanese developers, they shouldn't be working for PlayStation at all.

That rumor came from Jaffe's video.

• Surprised
Reactions: Bryank75

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

If this claim is true and it got leaked to public…we can maybe expect him to get fired soon. Because Japanese games are part of PlayStation’s DNA and if he has strong desire to kill this culture, then he needs to go. If he really said something in that way, I can’t think Sony’s Japanese execs will be amused about statements like that. That’s racist.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Also anybody know Jaffe has a wife and children

Imagine being 50s without family and doing this

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Hard to believe because under Hermen and Jimbo:
  • Polyphony has been growing, they now have 2 studios
  • Their Japanese XDEV team has been growing, got their own office (even if they continue in the same building) and now work with more games than ever at the same time (Rise of the Ronin, Death Stranding 2, Stellar Blade to name some of them)
  • After branching out their 2nd party publishing XDEV team, merged the Japan Studio internal development teams into one of them Team Asobi, which is growing
  • Hired ex-Capcom executives as new Sony 3rd party relations bosses
  • Did open the PlayStation Indies initiave with a Japanese boss (Shuhei Yoshida, who suggested to make it)
  • One of the long term goals for PlayStation is to grow in Asia (not only Japan), particularly in the biggest/fastest growing gaming markets (China and India)