Speculation: Sony buys EA - and here is why!

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Isn't Warner going bankrupt? Seems like a great opportunity to get hold of DC (including Batman, the only hero that gets close to Spider-man popularity), Harry Potter, HBO, Mortal Kombat, Lego games, etc. Sony would also control the three most popular heroes IPs in movies (Spider-man, Super-man and Batman).

EA seems to be all about sports games to me, something Sony already has with GT and MLB. If Sony could buy just Respawn, that is something that I think would make a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
EA seems to be all about sports games to me, something Sony already has with GT and MLB. If Sony could buy just Respawn, that is something that I think would make a lot of sense.
Dead Space, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Medal of Honor and Battlefield. Covers all things Sony's missing in their first party. WRPGs and FPS.

I've always said this, EA would be an excellent buy due to all the IPs they have. I know most turned to shit but that's a management issue, easily fixed.

Won't happen, though.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Dead Space, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Medal of Honor and Battlefield. Covers all things Sony's missing in their first party. WRPGs and FPS.

I've always said this, EA would be an excellent buy due to all the IPs they have. I know most turned to shit but that's a management issue, easily fixed.

Won't happen, though.
Bioware is trash, so Mass Effect/Dragon Age are worthless at this point, I suspect the same is true for Battlefield.

Mass Effect reboot, by a brand new or diferent studio is something I would consider.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Isn't Warner going bankrupt? Seems like a great opportunity to get hold of DC (including Batman, the only hero that gets close to Spider-man popularity), Harry Potter, HBO, Mortal Kombat, Lego games, etc. Sony would also control the three most popular heroes IPs in movies (Spider-man, Super-man and Batman).

Warner would be incredible for all of Sony but I have huge doubts that they would go for it.

Especially if David Zaslav was staying on, he has been terrible.

If there was a possibility of selling 51% or more to Sony so it was a majority owned subsidiary, that would be great providing they could replace Zaslav immediately.

They would also need to have a serious plan for the debt etc.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022

Won't happen, though.
Denying them as a partner to Microsoft would be the real strategic upside.

It would strip EA play out of Gamepass and give perks to Sony for all their big games.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Warner would be incredible for all of Sony but I have huge doubts that they would go for it.

If there was a possibility of selling 51% or more to Sony so it was a majority owned subsidiary, that would be great providing they could replace Zaslav immediately.

How much would Warner cost?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
WBD appears to be discussing a merger with Paramount right now. Just piling all the shit together...
But no, don't expect them to sell Batman/DC. Thats the part they want to keep.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

I was assuming they would nuke the entire Warner leadership, they suck. They lost the streaming wars while being the owners of HBO.

• they're_right_you_know

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony won't but EA because it's too expensive and because EA would basically die if their remove their games from PS, so no need to buy it. Even if MS would buy it EA would continue releasing their games on PS.

It's more optimal for Sony to simply sign marketing+bundle deals for the main EA games, like FIFA. Deals that also block them from having any deal with MS or GP for at least over a year.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA

Getting BioWare would be a nice counter to Bethesda too.

But there's just so much bloat involved with EA that they don't need, and likely don't want to deal with, to say nothing of costs.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Didn't know it was since then. I thought it was since the PS2 days.

Maybe that's why they're selling Sony Financial Group - and firing a lot of their first party developers - and closing some of their live service projects. If they obtain EA, they got one of the biggest live service cashcows in the business, Apex Legends.

Remember Microsoft fired 10k people right before the ActiBlizz acquisition?
But it goes both ways too. Companies tidy the edges and downsize in order to seem more attractive/less risky to potential buyers; and SEGA sold off the fucking arcade division (if I recall correctly) :(