Spider-Man: The Great Web Trailer Leaked Online |UP| 3/13/24 Second Trailer posted.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
That does look really good, why exactly did they cancel this?
Probably because it would take an massive amount of investment to make it viable and profitable. Also, it would make insomniac not be able to do anything else but support this game.
Same reason as Factions, I suppose.

Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Probably cancelled because it would be lame after 2 weeks. There's only so much you can do before it becomes repetitive.

Good on them.

Should have been a mode attached to the base Spiderman 2 game, similar to Legends for Ghost of Tsushima

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
That looks pretty damn good. If it was up to me, Spider Man and TLOU multi-player games would have been the ones I didn't cancel simply because they have the highest success rate based on the IP and if the game was good and the gameplay loop was great, oh man!! Easy wins. Oh well.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
"Looks ready to be released"

Smoke and mirrors, it never got far into production. You really have to hate these clown news outlets, don't you?

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Probably because it would take an massive amount of investment to make it viable and profitable. Also, it would make insomniac not be able to do anything else but support this game.
Same reason as Factions, I suppose.

Then why even develop it in the first place? Seriously who is managing the PlayStation studios?

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Why are companies not able to release regular MP modes anymore? You don't need to create a new studio with 200 employees to "support" the game with content for years.

Just release the game as is and every once in awhile you create events and add new skins made by AI and that's it.

Just finish TLOU Factions and Spider-Man CO-OP and dump it on store shelves. Call me Hulst I'll show you what people want.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’m more than fine with it canned. Live service and capeshit is generally a mismatch. Nor are one and done co-op games with no endgame or have gameplay and content with any real depth (suicide squad, Arkham, avengers). Friggin hulk armor… lols

Open world service is even tougher. Any still alive are survival games.

Best case scenario is that any good ideas from it are in spider-man 3 and X-men.

Then again… Xmen got halfway to making good rpgs with the Legends games.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
What are the chances that a AAA GaaS may succeed?
It depends of a lot of things. Same as non-GaaS AAA games, or indie games.

Then why even develop it in the first place? Seriously who is managing the PlayStation studios?
Nothing leads to think it went beyond a powerpoint and prototype pitch. We saw different Insomniac roadmaps and it wasn't in any of them. Devs make many pitches or prototypes for ideas that end being rejected or refurbished for other projects.

As an example, maybe what they did here for coop it was rejected for a GaaS game but later reused for coop in the Wolverine game. Or the opposite, maybe someone took the coop for Wolverine, did a prototype to test it with Spider-Man and pitched it and got rejected.

There are always many ideas being prototyped and tested, many times rejected or merged with other ones. Only some of them made it into greenlighted projects that cost over $200-300M.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Why are companies not able to release regular MP modes anymore? You don't need to create a new studio with 200 employees to "support" the game with content for years.

Just release the game as is and every once in awhile you create events and add new skins made by AI and that's it.

Just finish TLOU Factions and Spider-Man CO-OP and dump it on store shelves. Call me Hulst I'll show you what people want.
Stupid greed then thy end up losing money like asshats when thry come out with shit

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Stupid greed then thy end up losing money like asshats when thry come out with shit
Naughty Dog made a killing off Uncharted 3 Multiplayer. It was literally GaaS but without needing a herd of devs assigned to it.

They did so many cosmetics it was around 370 items at one point in the PS Store for it. Along with guns and taunts

They had a tournament system that allow you to buy tickets if you wanted to keep playing, if you lost all your weekly tickets entries, wuth a leaderboard refresh weekly and prizes.

They had the lab which was basically weekly challenges where you had to play certain modes with guns/ kickbacks chosen by Naughty Dog. Plus they added unfinished maps that didn't make the base game in the form of mesh maps or even stuff like Volley Ball but using grenades (which was totally chaos in a good way) lol.

They had tournaments and a competitive community where prize money was involved.

Even had Uncharted Olympics once 🤣.

Every Saturday there was a Naughty Paws event where players would get together and play custom matches for however long, even Naughty Dog devs would join in.

Received 2 years of support. At one point they had less than 5 people working on the multiplayer but it worked.

Sony already had the winning formula and threw it away. The game would still be active today had it gotten a PS4 port.

It's crazy how they haven't thought to make an Uncharted Online as yet... The one game that would have benefited from a GaaS push. Just repackage Uncharted 2 & 3 Multiplayers and the movements / climbing from Uncharted 4.

You have a winner.

And dang this post got long 😆

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I'm glad this got cancelled though. It would have been ass.

I think there was a way to make it a Raid mode like Ghost of Tsushima had. They already teased Spiderverse missions/DLC in Spiderman 2 campaign. And the slides show its the first DLC/New missions on the horizon.

Would make sense to do some spiderverse missions as different spider characters, then lead up to the Co-op raid mode. Free DLC.

• Shake
Reactions: ApolloHelios

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
I think there was a way to make it a Raid mode like Ghost of Tsushima had. They already teased Spiderverse missions/DLC in Spiderman 2 campaign. And the slides show its the first DLC/New missions on the horizon.

Would make sense to do some spiderverse missions as different spider characters, then lead up to the Co-op raid mode. Free DLC.
If it was10-15 bucks, I'd paid for it as well.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Nahhh this second trailer was good. What they showed would have been lit! I'm definitely mad they canceled it. It may not be for everyone but it sure as hell would have been for me. Looked like it stayed close to the single player games in terms of graphics and the city.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
They already have two Spider-Man and venom. They could retool what they learned from the co-op game and just have it as a feature for spider-man 3 or something far more fitting to co-op with character variety that isn’t just a reskin of Spider-Man … XMEN.

Reactions: Gamernyc78