Square Enix: Forspoken Sales Were Lackluster, Many Small and Mid Games Underperformed

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I bought the game but it was very easy to drop it to play Hogwarts’ Legacy instead. I may come back to it one day but it didn’t blow my socks off in any way.

A friend of mine loved it though. Not sure what was the appeal for him.

Whats funny is the magic in forspoken is far more interesting and fun than hogwarts.

Hogwarts turns into such a slog after the first 10 hours, where as forspoken you’re still getting new abilities by the end of the game. The whole levitating and zapping people with spells gets tedious in hogwarts

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Whats funny is the magic in forspoken is far more interesting and fun than hogwarts.

Hogwarts turns into such a slog after the first 10 hours, where as forspoken you’re still getting new abilities by the end of the game. The whole levitating and zapping people with spells gets tedious in hogwarts
And the annoying lock picking. At level 3 lock picking honestly it should just auto unlock when you get tht ability lol. It was annoying asf.

Reactions: Entropi

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

yeah, Forspoken all those powers, traversal and combat smokes out the Hogwarts Legacy. bosses too.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Quit Two Weeks Notice GIF by Saturday Night Live
I see you've been permed, lol, they're perming old users like crazy.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022

I was literally just thinking this today. First 8ish hours in I thought HL was amazing. Now at ~14ish hours I turned it on this morning and then turned it right back off. Its just no longer interesting and I cant see how it gets any better. Seriously. I love Forspoken but it deserved so much more. It deserved a better team than Luminous, better marketing early on and a whole lot less fanboy gamer rage.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I was literally just thinking this today. First 8ish hours in I thought HL was amazing. Now at ~14ish hours I turned it on this morning and then turned it right back off. Its just no longer interesting and I cant see how it gets any better. Seriously. I love Forspoken but it deserved so much more. It deserved a better team than Luminous, better marketing early on and a whole lot less fanboy gamer rage.

A sequel could have been really good, more time and money and don’t let SE do the marketing. Far more interesting of a concept, just need more meat on the bone. Especially with the whole war arc set up from the past

Hogwarts to me kind of feels tapped out. Theres things they can do to improve it but you’re still gonna be at the same school doing the same stuff.

There was a point in hogwarts where i turned it off and just didn’t want to ever turn it back on again

Reactions: CloudStrife

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
A sequel could have been really good, more time and money and don’t let SE do the marketing. Far more interesting of a concept, just need more meat on the bone. Especially with the whole war arc set up from the past

Hogwarts to me kind of feels tapped out. Theres things they can do to improve it but you’re still gonna be at the same school doing the same stuff.

There was a point in hogwarts where i turned it off and just didn’t want to ever turn it back on again

One of the biggest issues I am seeing in the game it that leveling and loot seem completely meaningless. The sense of progression is just bad. Level scaling does not help that. Finding new gear is not exciting because you get something new literally every 10 seconds, and you're constantly having to purge old gear due to inventory limits in a MAGIC game. And yeah I know the Merlin Trials add space but that whole thing seems like a tacked on waste of time. It's just starting to get boring....

This just proves to me that sometimes reviews simply don't line up with my tastes these days and are starting to matter less and less to me. Forspoken had and has a ton of potential. I just hate that Luminous developed it. I love the game, but imagine if it was on UE5 or Decima? Also, I think they spent more time trying to get their proprietary engine working right that they missed out making a really good and polished game.

Edit:
Sucks you got perm'd on GAF. I decided to just ignore all the Forspoken trolls over there.
I hope this place ends up better than both R-ERA and Gaf.

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
One of the biggest issues I am seeing in the game it that leveling and loot seem completely meaningless. The sense of progression is just bad. Level scaling does not help that. Finding new gear is not exciting because you get something new literally every 10 seconds, and you're constantly having to purge old gear due to inventory limits in a MAGIC game. And yeah I know the Merlin Trials add space but that whole thing seems like a tacked on waste of time. It's just starting to get boring....

This just proves to me that sometimes reviews simply don't line up with my tastes these days and are starting to matter less and less to me. Forspoken had and has a ton of potential. I just hate that Luminous developed it. I love the game, but imagine if it was on UE5 or Decima? Also, I think they spent more time trying to get their proprietary engine working right that they missed out making a really good and polished game.

Edit:
Sucks you got perm'd on GAF. I decided to just ignore all the Forspoken trolls over there.

Yeah, a lot of shitty loot in hogwarts, tedious inventory management

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Edit:
We are better! Welcome :)

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Inventory management is completely garbage. 40 max for all armor if you do all challenges and spend our for that. It is like a bad joke

I didn’t even bother with doing the Merlin stuff after a while, its all just so tedious lol

The game does a lot of things right and a lot of things wrong. im glad its successful because we need big single player games to succeed (especially in terms of selling next gen consoles) and im glad it pissed some people off in the process but hogwarts is not my ideal magic game.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I didn’t even bother with doing the Merlin stuff after a while, its all just so tedious lol

The game does a lot of things right and a lot of things wrong. im glad its successful because we need big single player games to succeed (especially in terms of selling next gen consoles) and im glad it pissed some people off in the process but hogwarts is not my ideal magic game.
Me either, it wasn't rewarding enough. It's like the bs gazillion shrines in BOTW. I don't understand how these ppl don't understand to stop giving us filler/bs rewards and give us meaningful things. That's why I love Souls games, thy do it right and when you find a treasure, armor, magic, etc it's rewarding and worth it!

Reactions: Remember_Spinal

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
When's the last time an over-marketed AAA game was released so bad that it shut down the studio?

Daikatana back in 2000 ?

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
When's the last time an over-marketed AAA game was released so bad that it shut down the studio?

Daikatana back in 2000 ?
Halo. Sure 343 still exists... but after 25% of its workforce getting laid off and every single executive given the boot...it's pretty much shut down anyway.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Halo. Sure 343 still exists... but after 25% of its workforce getting laid off and every single executive given the boot...it's pretty much shut down anyway.

Nah, if they completely shitcanned 343 and absorbed all the assets back into XGS, that'd be the same. But it ain't, not yet at least.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022

wow. new update dropped and some HUGE changes.
I loved the game as it was but now they fixed some gameplay stuff, lighting, graphics, grass, viewing distance, performance. Some very good comparison shots in their update article.
DF should revisit it now as they unfairly smeared it in release and I think it looked pretty good already.