Square Enix: Forspoken Sales Were Lackluster, Many Small and Mid Games Underperformed

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
One of the biggest issues I am seeing in the game it that leveling and loot seem completely meaningless. The sense of progression is just bad. Level scaling does not help that. Finding new gear is not exciting because you get something new literally every 10 seconds, and you're constantly having to purge old gear due to inventory limits in a MAGIC game. And yeah I know the Merlin Trials add space but that whole thing seems like a tacked on waste of time. It's just starting to get boring....

This just proves to me that sometimes reviews simply don't line up with my tastes these days and are starting to matter less and less to me. Forspoken had and has a ton of potential. I just hate that Luminous developed it. I love the game, but imagine if it was on UE5 or Decima? Also, I think they spent more time trying to get their proprietary engine working right that they missed out making a really good and polished game.

Edit:
Sucks you got perm'd on GAF. I decided to just ignore all the Forspoken trolls over there.
I hope this place ends up better than both R-ERA and Gaf.
Thank you for joining. It is definitely our goal to be better.

Reactions: CloudStrife

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
When's the last time an over-marketed AAA game was released so bad that it shut down the studio?

Daikatana back in 2000 ?
If Xbox didn’t have the backing of its parent company the entire ecosystem would no longer exist.

I’m sure that extends to their studios as well.

So this isn’t some “gotcha.” The game looked bad, turned out mediocre, and is suffering the business consequences that it should. Again, this is not ammo for warring. This game never looked like a big deal.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Tbh Ive been enjoying there games recently. Dragon Quest was great, 2020 gave us FF7 Remake. Mana series comeback. FF14 has been fire.

Games like Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy were old school fun. Loooove Triangle Strategy. Tactics Ogre getting the port treatment. Harvestella was good but Im a sucker for farm sims.

Dragon Quest - 2017
2018 - Tomb Raider, Dragon Quest builders 2, Octopath Traveler, Life is Strange 2
KH3 - 2019
FF7 Remake- 2020
2023 -FF16
2024- FF7 Part 2
And FF14 going strong.

Plus Stranger of Paradis, more Life is Strange, Nier, Valkyrie, Triangle Strategy etc etc
Not too bad. Yeah some of the AA games could be better but its been decent

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
So this isn’t some “gotcha.” The game looked bad, turned out mediocre, and is suffering the business consequences that it should. Again, this is not ammo for warring. This game never looked like a big deal.

It never looked good beyond the first Project Athia reveal, but they sure did try to market the hell out of it. Couldn't pass 10 minutes on the prime time 8 to 10PM TV slots without running into a TV spot or two.