Square Enix Planning To Release Multiple Blockchain Games Next Fiscal Year

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Forspoken_MarchTrailerScreen_03.jpg

Square Enix CEO, Yosuke Matsuda has said that the publisher will be launching its new blockchain games in FY23/24.

The statement comes following a disappointing result for Square Enix’s latest release, Forspoken, of which the game’s performance was described as “lackluster”. Despite the lackluster performance, Square Enix is still hoping that its blockchain games will be more of a success.

The information comes via a Financial Results Briefing that was published today but dates back to February 3, 2023. During a Q&A segment, Yosuke Matsuda was asked about Square Enix’s forecasted growth for FY2024/3, to which he responded:

“Major title launches will not be concentrated solely in FY2024/3. We have organized our pipeline so that we will have a good spread of new releases in FY2025/3 and beyond as well. We also hope that you will look forward to the blockchain games we plan to launch in FY2024/3 and thereafter.”

Several game companies have explored NFT and blockchain technology in the past, with Ubisoft being the most public when it comes to its NFT exploration and subsequent failures. Ubisoft Quartz, announced in early 2022 was the first major announcement when it came to publishers exploring NFT technology, however, that idea seemingly dwindled following its first NFT release with Ghost Recon Breakpoint.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Square Enix what are they doing? I wonder if they are trying to understand the current landscape of the industry but they failed to see how those trends are not aligned with what the consumers want/need.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Lol, imagine if they infected DQXII with it. They'd burn akiba down in the riots.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Blockchain can die. I think it’s something that’s more of a thing in asian markets.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Square enix needs better management, pronto.

I remember when capcom was burning down during the ps3 generation and recovered during ps4. Thats what square enix needs, they need a vision and a plan.

They need completely lost and relying on platform holders to do their work for them and get rich quick schemes

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
This is crazy, if we take Spain as an example:

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion - 15,000 (7,500 PS4, 4,000 Switch)
Triangle Strategy - 9,000
Live A Live - 6,600
Octopath Traveler II - 6,000 (5,000 Switch)
Tactics Ogre: Reborn - 5,000 (4,000 Switch)
NieR: Automata - The End YoRHa Edition - 4,000
Forspoken - 4,000
Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - 2,000 (1,200 PS5)
Valkyrie Elysium - 1,500
Dragon Quest Treasures - 1,000
Harvestella - under 1,000
Chocobo GP - under 1,000
The DioField Chronicle - under 1,000
Star Ocean: The Divine Force - 500
Babylon's Fall - 50 (PS5 version only)

PS5 and Xbox development is simply killing square-enix. There's simply no market for middle of the road 3d JRPGs, the console users just don't buy them. Switch owners will atleast show up to support the HD2D stuff. Octopath traveller 2 is selling >5:1 on Switch, even something with Playstation heritage like Tactics Ogre is is 5:1 in favour of Switch.

They need to look closely at Nintendo's marketing and the Nintendo 'exclusive bump' moving forward. If it weren't for Nintendo they'd really be in big trouble right now.

Forspoken as well must have cost them a lot of money. here it is with a meagre 4,000 copies matching the years-late Nier autmoata switch port. wow.

Octopath II also suffering because it's on PS5. Had it have remained a prestigious switch exclusive, i think more switch owners would have showed up. + better Nintendo exclusive marketing would have helped.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
What's the best blockchain game from a big publisher? I want to try one for the lulz. I don't have any bitcoins or whatever tho.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Octopath II also suffering because it's on PS5. Had it have remained a prestigious switch exclusive, i think more switch owners would have showed up. + better Nintendo exclusive marketing would have helped.
Octopath is a weird case. It should have been exclusive for 6 months and then sold as a bundle with the first one free on PS5.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I think Octopath 2 is underperforming because a lot of people who brought in to the first one felt burned. I know I did and have no plans to pick up the sequel because of it.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It can be weird but why I will care for a sequel if I can’t play the first one?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It can be weird but why I will care for a sequel if I can’t play the first one?
Well, in true JRPG fashion the characters are all different so it doesn't matter. Everything I've heard is that it fixes the "problems" that 1 had, though I get feeling that the people saying that didn't include the game's obnoxious war of attrition style fights in that.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Well, in true JRPG fashion the characters are all different so it doesn't matter. Everything I've heard is that it fixes the "problems" that 1 had, though I get feeling that the people saying that didn't include the game's obnoxious war of attrition style fights in that.
A still wanted to play the first game before the second one :(

I brought Tatics Ogre instead 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
lol maybe this is why sony hasn't bought them yet.
probably because nintendo's got first dibs and S-E knows where the money's at?

46:13-47:00 is comedy gold. the biggest PS fanboy in the world crying and begging for Switch Square Enix games, hahahaha. Really eats these guys up to see Square Enix come home to Nintendo.

The mental picture of Colin furiously refreshing the PSN store for an hour to see if Octopath 1 would drop is great. :LOL:

Reactions: Papacheeks

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
probably because nintendo's got first dibs and S-E knows where the money's at?

46:13-47:00 is comedy gold. the biggest PS fanboy in the world crying and begging for Switch Square Enix games, hahahaha. Really eats these guys up to see Square Enix come home to Nintendo.

The mental picture of Colin furiously refreshing the PSN store for an hour to see if Octopath 1 would drop is great. :LOL:
Colin was a huge Nintendo fanboy earlier as well.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
As long as they’re móbile game and the revenue goes directly into funding AAA console games, I couldn’t care less. Let the whales support SQEX.