Square Enix Planning To Release Multiple Blockchain Games Next Fiscal Year

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
This is crazy, if we take Spain as an example:

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion - 15,000 (7,500 PS4, 4,000 Switch)
Triangle Strategy - 9,000
Live A Live - 6,600
Octopath Traveler II - 6,000 (5,000 Switch)
Tactics Ogre: Reborn - 5,000 (4,000 Switch)
NieR: Automata - The End YoRHa Edition - 4,000
Forspoken - 4,000
Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - 2,000 (1,200 PS5)
Valkyrie Elysium - 1,500
Dragon Quest Treasures - 1,000
Harvestella - under 1,000
Chocobo GP - under 1,000
The DioField Chronicle - under 1,000
Star Ocean: The Divine Force - 500
Babylon's Fall - 50 (PS5 version only)

PS5 and Xbox development is simply killing square-enix. There's simply no market for middle of the road 3d JRPGs, the console users just don't buy them. Switch owners will atleast show up to support the HD2D stuff. Octopath traveller 2 is selling >5:1 on Switch, even something with Playstation heritage like Tactics Ogre is is 5:1 in favour of Switch.

They need to look closely at Nintendo's marketing and the Nintendo 'exclusive bump' moving forward. If it weren't for Nintendo they'd really be in big trouble right now.

Forspoken as well must have cost them a lot of money. here it is with a meagre 4,000 copies matching the years-late Nier autmoata switch port. wow.

Octopath II also suffering because it's on PS5. Had it have remained a prestigious switch exclusive, i think more switch owners would have showed up. + better Nintendo exclusive marketing would have helped.
No dude, they’re suffering because their AA games are bad.
Also, they don’t market the games for whatever reason and people don’t know they exist.

Last edited:

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
These numbers on PlayStation and PC are causing the company to face bankruptcy... unreal how much Sony has hurt S-E...

Japan
OT1: 109,579
OT2: 75,486 (72% on Switch)

Spain
OT1: 11,700
OT2: 6,000 (83% on Switch)

UK (rough estimates)
OT1: ~10,000
OT2: ~4,000 (75% on Switch)

Colossal mistake putting OT2 on PlayStation. Just like it was a mistake to put OT on Xbox gamepass. Both fanbases can cry about missing one of the games, but the fact is, neither fan base deserved either.

They should be grateful for getting any of Nintendo's scraps at all.

Real JRPGs have found atheir home on Switch and nowhere else.

Square-Enix is an honorary Nintendo First party, as far as I'm concerned.

Welcome Home!

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Babylon's Fall at 50 (FIFTY!) copies in the whole of Spain 😲 is hard proof at what Platinum games and Square-Enix would face if they were acquired by Sony.

Really puts all the bayonetta/live a live/ trainagle/octopath begging into perspective...

Japanese games aanywhere except on nintendo Switch... yikes

luckily, S-E's latest banger just dropped this week, Switch exclusive of course

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
These numbers on PlayStation and PC are causing the company to face bankruptcy... unreal how much Sony has hurt S-E...

Japan

Spain

UK (rough estimates)

Colossal mistake putting OT2 on PlayStation. Just like it was a mistake to put OT on Xbox gamepass. Both fanbases can cry about missing one of the games, but the fact is, neither fan base deserved either.

Welcome Home!

Japan

Spain

UK (rough estimates)

Welcome Home!
They didn't market Octopath Traveler 2 nearly as hard as they did OT 1.

Doesn't sound like anyone's fault except for square enix. I actually bought a switch for OT1. Have barely heard anyone talking about OT2.

Reactions: Swift_Star

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

I actually bought this yesterday on Switch. I heard it was like 999. I started playing on TV but the font is weird with some kind of chromatic aberration and it was hurting my eyes. Bad start for a VN, I'll have to play on handheld mode 😖

Another game SE just dumped on store shelves with zero marketing and then they wonder why it's not selling.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022

Best on PC and Steam Deck :cool:

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

Japan

Spain

UK (rough estimates)

Welcome Home!
lol that makes no sense at all

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
PS5 and Xbox development is simply killing square-enix. There's simply no market for middle of the road 3d JRPGs, the console users just don't buy them.
Goddamn they got fucked up real good by recent disasters.

What are you talking about? Square Enix is making more revenue and profit than they ever did. These are the worldwide numbers including all platforms, physical and digital:

image.png

image.png

square-enix-operating-income.jpg

P.S.: I assume the MMO portion is basically the PlayStation and PC game Final Fantasy XIV.

What's the best blockchain game from a big publisher? I want to try one for the lulz. I don't have any bitcoins or whatever tho.
Ubisoft was the first big publisher to bet on blockchain, the second one will be Square Enix. It's too new, until now there are only dedicated game devs for blockchain, the big publishers still didn't move there.

Square Enix what are they doing? I wonder if they are trying to understand the current landscape of the industry but they failed to see how those trends are not aligned with what the consumers want/need.
Square Enix is one of the most successful game pubishers in the world and they keep improving their results, they perfectly understand the gaming market and the user needs. And in addition to this, they also understand the needs of a big company like them.

As budgets of AAA games increase the big publishers need to grow expand to new markets to get new revenue sources to afford them and keep being profitable. The gaming and tech keeps evolving every few years so companies invest in new stuff to research, test and innovate on potential new markets to position themselves in the best position in these future new markets.

Traditional consumers like you, like most human beings, reject and demonize the new and different, and are afraid of change. That happened before in games with the addition of game consoles, 3D visuals, analog sticks vs dpad, online multiplayer vs local, digital games, indie games in console, DLC, IAP, GaaS, F2P, mobile games or now cloud gaming and soon blockchain/pay to earn.

They will keep researching, testing and iterating the technology and market, which will slowly grow. They'll succeed in some cases and will fail in other ones until they'll learn the most optimal way for everybody.

In the same way that the current landscape of the industry indicates that the majority of the players play on mobile, and that the majority prefer GaaS and to play for free than to pay for playing, like many people may have realized that potential players may also prefer to earn money by playing than to don't earn money by playing or reselling unwanted in-game items to other players.

Blockchain is the technology that allows to do that in a secure way solving many issues that until now existed in 2nd hand digital market and provides them a potential new revenue source, so as part of their research and innovation they'll start to explore that new market with some small projects as tests.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters