Square Enix to Double Down on Xbox Releases, Final Fantasy 14 Producer Says

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
From the purple place:

I honestly don't think Jez knows one way or the other. XVI is obvious. Remake is not. I only say that because Square has had 4 years to get that ready and they haven't. It clear to me we won't be seeing that on Xbox Series. I think they're waiting until they finish the trilogy, because they don't wanna spare the folks to port it right now.

"I'll go ahead and just outright say that to my knowledge, there is presently no active development on an Xbox version of Remake or Rebirth. They will obviously eventually do it. But as far as being in active port development now, to my understanding, which I am quite confident in, they are not. People can believe that or not, obviously, but I'd argue I'm pretty trustworthy/on the money with SEJ stuff.

If I had to guess (and this part is speculation), they will likely focus on completing & shipping part 3 as a priority and then look at Xbox (and maybe Switch 2, who knows). What is true is that the SE attitude of judging exclusivity on a per-game basis (where PS/SW is the default and Xbox is an option) has softened and I'd expect most new stuff going forward to be on Xbox unless there's a good argument (or cash incentive) against it. But you build that into your development plan, whereas a late port of an existing game you need to find and allocate separate resources to do the legwork, which potentially takes away from other ongoing dev.

We also all need to understand that a policy shift like this takes time to trickle down -- IE there will be unannounced SE games that have been in development for ages that are on 'everything but Xbox' because their inception predates the new CEO and the strategic changes, and it doesn't necessarily make financial sense to pivot them late in the game. When these are announced it doesn't mean SE has abandoned its new Xbox parity thinking... though people inevitably will say it does. But the way we learn about things is not linear, ultimately -- so we learn about the strategy shift before we learn about some games that had their parameters set in the midst of the old strategy, etc.

This stuff obviously moves all the time, and things could've changed really recently and I could be wrong. Or Jez could be! But as it stands, I've heard absolutely zero about anyone on Xbox, anyway.

16 I think is more obvious and clear-cut... you only need to look at Yoshida's comments over the last six or so months. It's clear that will happen sooner rather than later."-

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com​

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
This is the same person that denied FF7 remake was being ported to Xbox when all those rumors started up. So he knows what he’s talking about.

Yeah exactly.

And with Xbox basically a retired platform, Square Enix won’t even waste their time starting work on ports of their major AAA games.

Like I said before, they can say what they want. Doesn’t mean they’re going to actually do it. It was just PR talk.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
This is the same person that denied FF7 remake was being ported to Xbox when all those rumors started up. So he knows what he’s talking about.

Yeah exactly.

And with Xbox basically a retired platform, Square Enix won’t even waste their time starting work on ports of their major AAA games.

Like I said before, they can say what they want. Doesn’t mean they’re going to actually do it. It was just PR talk.
Bingo. Once Xbox declines even further, the point of being on the verge of discontinuation, with multiple publishers dropping it, this move by Square Enix will be quickly reversed.

Reactions: On Demand