SSD prices are crashing, for everyone except Xbox fans

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
As I said, a lot of people are not enthusiasts like people on this forum, they don't know all the technical jargon that the vast majority of gamers know or understand.

Wishing them basically ill is not a good look.

Be better Kiry, Slap.
Microsoft has a LONG history of being as nickel-and-dimey as it gets when it comes to accessories and storage for their consoles. People should know what they're buying when they drop a few hundred dollars. MS didn't exactly hide that the Series take a custom storage format, it even says so on the product packaging of the Series machines, so yeah, fuck anyone whining about it now. Go slap those idiots.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Lmao windows central.
They got the raw deal because they bought the product that made it clear they were going to get fucked. It's like buying a Kia and expecting it not to be a piece of shit.
You got some outdated views btw

K5NqcB.jpg 2022010a.JPG

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Lmao windows central.

You got some outdated views btwView attachment 798
I owned a Rondo. I knew it would not be a great car, and I was STILL underwhelmed.

And trotting out JD Power, well, let me put it this way. Dependable and a good driving experience are two different things, entirely. I never had mechanical issues, but fuck, that thing was an unpleasant hunk of crap as far as driving goes, and the stereo system and other things worked, but were completely devoid of any kind of grace notes. I bought a cheap car that would work reliably, but there's no denying it was a SHITTY car.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I owned a Rondo. I knew it would not be a great car, and I was STILL underwhelmed.

And trotting out JD Power, well, let me put it this way. Dependable and a good driving experience are two different things, entirely. I never had mechanical issues, but fuck, that thing was an unpleasant hunk of crap as far as driving goes, and the stereo system and other things worked, but were completely devoid of any kind of grace notes. I bought a cheap car that would work reliably, but there's no denying it was a SHITTY car.
No question Kias used to be absolute ass but in the last 5 years they've turned it around.

OP
OP
Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Sony and Nintendo would do the same if they had official licensed SSDs for storage expansion.
This is the point.

Understand Sonic The Hedgehog GIF by Mashed

OP
OP
Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
EDIT: Case in point, WD slashed 50% off this monster NVME M.2 SSD, making it cheaper to get 2TB for PS5 than it is to get 1TB for Xbox Series X|S.

This is just truly awful for the Xbox consumer.
4TB will be mainstream pretty soon, it's almost the same price as the xbox 1TB (but you need to add a heat sink).

The situation will be the same as the xbox 360 with its HDD attachment.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Is this first article ever on this?

Cause I remember the hundreds of articles from western media about the evils of proprietary memory on PS Vita. So much FUD it basically killed the platforn

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Sony have done proprietary storage in the past with the psp and ps vita, and it didn't go well.

They've learnt there lesson.
vita!!!! :(
Yeah propriety things are not that consumer friendly. Sony and Nintendo learned that lesson, even Apple right now is learning it - the hard way.

Microsoft, why they thought that was a good idea after so many examples it wasn’t?

Options are better than no options, so anyone who says otherwise is being a fanboy.
Is this first article ever on this?

Cause I remember the hundreds of articles from western media about the evils of proprietary memory on PS Vita. So much FUD it basically killed the platforn
I think so.
There’s been a trend on the gaming media since 2013 - everything Sony does is evil, Nintendo is irrelevant and niche and Microsoft is always coming with great ideas.

I can link you to articles saying how changing the HDD on the PS4 was “bad” and complicated, basically implying consumers are too stupid to have options and choices.

OP
OP
Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I can link you to articles saying how changing the HDD on the PS4 was “bad” and complicated, basically implying consumers are too stupid to have options and choices.
I recall those articles, then I tried it anyway and almost bled to death because I accidentally stabbed myself with the screwdriver. Damn Sony, who do they think we are?

D

Deleted member 417

sorry for the OT but reading this article has made it dawn on me that this generation Microsoft made:

An under powered console (all except Wii have failed)
two conflicting consoles (32x and saturn)
split ram (Ps3, Xbox One)
Proprietary storage (Too many to name, all failed)

lol. Did someone in the office say to Phil "i'll bet you a million dollars you can't take the worst examples of tech and put them together to make them work".

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
I'm still using the old tried and true SSD called removing what you no longer play. Has worked for 3 generations now. Instant speed and results. Pound for pound best price to performance ratio.

But yes, Xbox fans are getting milked. Someone has got to pay for Gamepass.

OP
OP
Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Proprietary storage (Too many to name, all failed)
I think memory cards for the ps1 and 2 worked at the time (obviously these days standard memory cards would be a better option, but I don't think that was an option back then).

The rest is kind of true, but I don't think that the series X is so bad... It just lacks a good reason to get it. Obviously, it doesn't meet the expectations that MS had set for their product, for that Xbox fans should feel cheated.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I think memory cards for the ps1 and 2 worked at the time (obviously these days standard memory cards would be a better option, but I don't think that was an option back then).

The rest is kind of true, but I don't think that the series X is so bad... It just lacks a good reason to get it. Obviously, it doesn't meet the expectations that MS had set for their product, for that Xbox fans should feel cheated.
When the PS1 and PS2 came out, the only flash formats were PCMCIA full-size in the PS1 timeframe and Compact Flash in the PS2’s launch window, and they were more expensive than the PlayStation cards and had interfaces that were too easily damaged to be a wise choice for a console.