Starfield is the "starting gun" for first-party Xbox games

24 Jun 2022
You can make the same list with PlayStation...

Spider-man 2
Helldivers II
Convallaria
Stellar Blade
Marvel's Wolverine
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake
Firewall Ultra
Fairgame$
Concord
Rise of the Ronin
Lost Soul Aside
Marathon

Maybe there are more but what is the point?
It just MS trying to strikes a winner with his fanbase with their usual spin.

I'm not sure what are you comparing here but Sony has more published games announced than Microsoft.
But to be fair announces means nothing.
That is why the foverer waiting games meme exists.... always promises... never delivery.

I was talking about internally-developed 1P content, and non-GaaS. In that sense, yes, Sony have published more the past three years than Microsoft, but that doesn't mean it'll continue to be that way.

With the list you just gave, how many are internally developed by a Sony 1P studio? How many are actual exclusives, vs. timed exclusives or being PC Day 1 releases? You mentioned KOTOR Remake when the last we heard, that game was in dev hell and limbo, and has either been quietly scrapped or restarted. The only non-GaaS 1P-developed titled on that list is Wolverine :/

Yeah I know when it comes to Microsoft, a lot of their upcoming slate are from devs and pubs they literally spent out the wazoo to purchase, and now they're claiming them as 1P even if those games had no input from Microsoft dev-wise. But it doesn't change the fact they are now MS 1P content, does it? And yeah we know games like Everwild and Perfect Dark are in pretty bad states, but on the flipside of that we have Sony teams like Naughty Dog that have literally internally gone back to the drawing board with their own GaaS title (Factions 2), stuff like Pixelopus's game getting canned, the Deviation game either canned or back to the drawing board, etc.

There doesn't seem to be much different from them in that respect. Hell, Sony are even relying super-hard on a recent acquisition to carry them 1P-wise (Insomniac) in the way Microsoft are with Bethesda. Just so many parallels the more I think about it and step back to see the wider picture.

Reactions: Puff

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I was talking about internally-developed 1P content, and non-GaaS. In that sense, yes, Sony have published more the past three years than Microsoft, but that doesn't mean it'll continue to be that way.

With the list you just gave, how many are internally developed by a Sony 1P studio? How many are actual exclusives, vs. timed exclusives or being PC Day 1 releases? You mentioned KOTOR Remake when the last we heard, that game was in dev hell and limbo, and has either been quietly scrapped or restarted. The only non-GaaS 1P-developed titled on that list is Wolverine :/

Yeah I know when it comes to Microsoft, a lot of their upcoming slate are from devs and pubs they literally spent out the wazoo to purchase, and now they're claiming them as 1P even if those games had no input from Microsoft dev-wise. But it doesn't change the fact they are now MS 1P content, does it? And yeah we know games like Everwild and Perfect Dark are in pretty bad states, but on the flipside of that we have Sony teams like Naughty Dog that have literally internally gone back to the drawing board with their own GaaS title (Factions 2), stuff like Pixelopus's game getting canned, the Deviation game either canned or back to the drawing board, etc.

There doesn't seem to be much different from them in that respect. Hell, Sony are even relying super-hard on a recent acquisition to carry them 1P-wise (Insomniac) in the way Microsoft are with Bethesda. Just so many parallels the more I think about it and step back to see the wider picture.
I just listed what is published by SIE... I didn't even checked the titles.
And yes I believe KOTOR is in a bad state or changing developers at least.

BTW Rise of the Ronin is non-GAASS, no?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Starfield
Everwild
Fable
The Outer Worlds 2
Avowed
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II
Clockwork Revolution
Perfect Dark
South of Midnight
Weird to don't see Elder Scrolls VI in that list. Maybe it's because they don't ever consider the possibility of releasing it in this generation. Which is weird, because some of these if released this gen will be released at the end of it.

BTW Rise of the Ronin is non-GAASS, no?
Rise of the Ronin and a lot of other upcoming Sony exclusives aren't GaaS.

Knowing 2023 Microsoft only Avowed and Senua are ocming out next year with high chances of a delay.
In E3 2021 they were in preproduction working on a vertical slice before moving into full production. Being optimistic and assuming that what they shown in December 2021 was the vertical slice completed, means that they could have moved to full production in late 2021-early 2022. I highly doubt that they could release a game of the size of Hellblade 1 in 2024, and Hellblade II is supposed to be bigger.

I don't see realistic the 2024 they mentioned. If the game is really going to be larger than the first one and with more gameplay than cutscenes/movies I see more realistic to expect a late 2025 or 2026 release.

Sony will continue getting more multiplatform games, more exclusives, more first party games than and more non-GaaS first than MS. With the difference that Sony will announce them maximum a year or a year and a half from release, instead of announcing them like 7 years before release, when games aren't sometimes even in preproduction and are almost only a CG and a powerpoint.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puff

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023

"This is the beginning of something that's going to be really special," Xbox CMO says

Starfield_GdQO7eb.jpeg

Starfield
Everwild
Fable
The Outer Worlds 2
Avowed
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II
Clockwork Revolution
Perfect Dark
South of Midnight

Unfortunately I have to agree with him. Currently Xbox has announced more Interesting Single-player games for next gen than Sony.
afkgaming%2Fimport%2Fmedia%2Fimages%2F64144-5f5d9b481fe5863c196d3441322ab983.jpeg

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Refreshing they're talking about games. Meanwhile Sony's gearing up for a crapload of accessories and going MIA at these (admittedly lame) gaming events.

If we're talking purely 1P software developed in-house, MS's slate looks more intriguing if only because Sony have nothing announced 1P-wise that's non-GaaS after Spiderman 2, outside of Wolverine. Everything else is either a timed 3P exclusive, or 3P (console) exclusive, or 1P GaaS/live-service.

Oh, and tons of peripherals and accessories. But sales charts and fiscal reports tho, get hyped!
You have to be joking about the accessories line considering two of the latest Xbox related releases I can think of are plastic wrap for consoles and Pizza scented controllers. If you're an Xbox fan, you've had Halo, Redfall, and pizza scented controllers up until this point.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Why? So you nerds can complain about Sony announcing games too early. Isn’t that what they did in the past, and ya’ll still complained that the games were taking too long? Let them announce and show the games, when they’re ready.
Except they've already announced a bunch of live service games... Why not announce them 'when they're ready' 🤣

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
it's not even the most important RPG of this year, or this quarter

*edit* importance to the existence of xbox doesn't mean it's important to the gaming space
is the next Bethesda game. is their redemption game after Fallout 4/76.

If you are going to tell me Skyrim was not massively important to the gaming space...i dunno what to tell you.

Starfield could be the next Skyrim.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
is the next Bethesda game. is their redemption game after Fallout 4/76.

If you are going to tell me Skyrim was not massively important to the gaming space...i dunno what to tell you.

Starfield could be the next Skyrim.
skyrim was important because of how it pushed the medium forward with the ambition of its scale and scope
starfield is copying shit other games have already done before and arguably doing it worse

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Xbox has struggled for consistency with its first-party titles over the last 18 months. 2022 featured few exclusive releases, while its most notable game so far this year, Redfall, was reviewed poorly. However, the firm’s summer showcase in June was received positively from the media.
So just wait a bit more, this is real this time.
Palm Tree Art GIF by Pi-Slices