Steam Deck OLED burn in test (Burn in after 750 hours)

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

This isn't normal use, but this user did a burn in test, and it's very noticeable after 750+ hours. This could happen earlier, as I believe he didn't check until the 750 hour mark.

• Surprised
Reactions: John Elden Ring

Arc

5 Sep 2023
This is why I can’t see myself buying an OLED TV without, I don’t know, some long-term replacement plan or something.

It will probably never happen. At the same time, it would suck so much to just notice some burnt in UI, and just be stuck with a TV from that point which is going to get worse and worse.

I had a similar attitude towards plasmas. Again, it will probably never happen but the worry is there.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
This is why I can’t see myself buying an OLED TV without, I don’t know, some long-term replacement plan or something.

It will probably never happen. At the same time, it would suck so much to just notice some burnt in UI, and just be stuck with a TV from that point which is going to get worse and worse.

I'm sure newer models are probably safe for normal use compared to Gen 1-2 OLEDs but these things are so expensive that you're often left with the thought that you can just wait a little bit more until you take the plunge, then you end up saying that for a couple years, juuust to be sure.

I had a similar attitude towards plasmas. Again, it will probably never happen but the worry is there.

I still mostly use a 2009 1080P Plasma TV for console gaming, still pristine image quality with great colour reproduction and almost no input delay.

Reactions: Arc

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
I think this is why switch won't have an oled. Imagine the backlash when it burns out in a month.

Arc

5 Sep 2023
I think this is why switch won't have an oled. Imagine the backlash when it burns out in a month.
For what it’s worth, despite being paranoid on the issue, I have a Switch OLED, almost since release with moderate gaming time, and it looks as good as the day I got it.

There’s also the infamous 7000 hours on experiment posted above.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
For what it’s worth, despite being paranoid on the issue, I have a Switch OLED, almost since release with moderate gaming time, and it looks as good as the day I got it.

There’s also the infamous 7000 hours on experiment posted above.
I got a switch OLED too but I can't compare as I rarely use my switch.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Not sure.

Most OLED TVs (from food bands) today are really hard to get burn-in.
Phones (at least the ones I use) never had burn-in) even with my ears of constant use.
My CX is probably was used way over 759 hours and no burn-in.

This I had a high-end PLASMA from 2012 to 2020 (it finally broke) without one single burn-in… and that I can be sure that was used over 10k hours (he’ll only Destiny first year it was 1.5k hours).

BTW all my TVs have mixed use… from TV Shows, Movies to gaming sessions… with my kids now I believe steaming cartons will more used than gaming.

Last edited:

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Hopefully that will help dropping the price of the OLED Deck here in Brazil, the price is insane.

I don't understand, what does burn in have to do with LCD Deck?

zero-two-idk.gif

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don't understand, what does burn in have to do with LCD Deck?
Most people don’t know but LCD can burn-in… it really have low chances in today LCD but in very past it was like OLED.

But I agree that with the actual LCD we don’t need to be worried because it is like win a lottery and in most cases in years used LCD.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I can't speak to the Steam Deck OLED screen, but I've had an OLED laptop for over a year now and it doesn't show any traces of retention or even less burn in. I don't enable any OLED protection features, but I do use dark mode.

My 32in Samsung 4k IPS monitor does have a serious image retention problem (not burn-in). So I know what this is.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Most people don’t know but LCD can burn-in… it really have low chances in today LCD but in very past it was like OLED.

But I agree that with the actual LCD we don’t need to be worried because it is like win a lottery and in most cases in years used LCD.
Yes, even if you look at rtings image burn-in tests many TVs show worse problems than the OLED ones.

Reactions: ethomaz

Kehaan

28 Jan 2024
Denmark
kehaan.me
I have a Steam Deck OLED, i hope it does not get burn-in. I did expect it could be at some point, but 700 hours seems pretty low... Hopefully if it happens Valve is fast with fixing it :)

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I have a Steam Deck OLED, i hope it does not get burn-in. I did expect it could be at some point, but 700 hours seems pretty low... Hopefully if it happens Valve is fast with fixing it :)
Probably won't.