Steamdeck sold 1.6 million in 2022, sell another 2 million in 2023, report

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I am just laughing from your coping.
It bombed, fact.
It is on track to sell more this year than last year, more last year than the year before despite no price drop, since it doesn't have to support its own game development ecosystem and sells at a profit that sounds successful, if niche, to me.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Nintendo folded the market where they succeeded (portable)... into the market where they failed (console).

Sony won't do that... because they don't want the market they failed (portable).. to fuck up the market where they actually succeeded (console).

There's a market for portables... but Sony has never succeeded there. Vita failed hard and they gave up... and they're not about to fuck up their console business trying to make a portable business work on the side again.
Now you reached the point of the post you quoted... congratulations (y)

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It sold more this year than last year, more last year than the year before despite no price drop, since it doesn't have to support its own game development ecosystem and sells at a profit that sounds successful, if niche, to me.
It is launched last year... this is the first year sales.
Steam Desk made 1 year in Feb 25, 2023.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Now you reached the point of the post you quoted... congratulations (y)
No... that only proves my point. The Switch... not the Steam Deck... proves why Sony ain't fucking with handhelds again...

You got it wrong breh!

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
No... that only proves my point. The Switch... not the Steam Deck... proves why Sony ain't fucking with handhelds again...

You got it wrong breh!
Steam Desk failure just shows why Sony is not investing in portable market anymore after Vita failure.
It is not worth to invest in a portable that will sell like less than 10 million lifetime.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Steam Desk failure just shows why Sony is not investing in portable market anymore.
No. The Vita's failure shows why Sony isn't investing in the portable market anymore.

You say the Deck proves there isn't a market for portables... yet ignoring the Switch which would overwhelmingly prove there's a market for portables.... yet Sony ain't fucking around with one, are they? And that's because the Vita was a failure and their successful business revolves around console.. and they know that. Nintendo's now revolves around portables.. and they know that. And Steam's revolves around PCs... which is why the Deck is smartly a hybrid PC... and they know that.

• haha
Reactions: ethomaz

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
It is on track to sell more this year than last year, more last year than the year before despite no price drop, since it doesn't have to support its own game development ecosystem and sells at a profit that sounds successful, if niche, to me.
handheld is not niche. PSVR 2 is a system of the other system, that is niche.
PSVR 2 fail or will succeed, at least, it is something fresh and untapped compared to handhelds.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
handheld is not niche. PSVR 2 is a system of the other system, that is niche.
PSVR 2 fail or will succeed, at least, it is something fresh and untapped compared to handhelds.
Its a portable gaming PC, not a true pocket-sized handheld.

D

Deleted member 223

BSing clown caught with the numbers game hypocrisy getting clowned yet still acting like it isn't happening or the room isn't all in on it.

:ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Cope cage.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Massive failure, just like the steam machines was. All it's made for is to entrench Steam's monopoly of PC gaming by bundling in their atrocious OS with it.
You should be happy that steamOS is a thing, it's the only thing that's giving pc an alternative to move away from windows.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
I don't think either of them are flops. I also don't think valve was expecting to sell >10mil steam decks a year.
I'm just saying. That user don't waste time call psvr2 a flop when the majority of sales comes from Sony direct. In uk no one is selling it literally. Now his excuse is the hardware not available everywhere?

Double standards

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Where is the same energy when you talk about psvr2?

It's a flop deal with it
It doesn't get the same energy because PSVR2 is its own platform with its own library... unlike the Steam Deck.

PSVR2 lives and dies with how much of a market it can create.... Steam Deck doesn't. PSVR2 is exactly like the Vita... and it will fail like it too.

Jesus you guys are terrible at basic logic and reasoning.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Man now we are spinning a handheld being more niche than a VR device.

PSVR2 will probably sell these 1.6 million this quarter that shows how much Steam Desk flopped.

• haha
Reactions: Remij

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Deck is indeed a big failure... numbers don't lie.
As far as I remember at least during launch they were selling the units they made and Valve already mentioned future versions, meaning they are happy and plan to continue with it.

This is a first version, a very expensive portable for early adopters, so very likely they didn't expect to go mainstream and always has been considered as something niche. I mean, the fact that they only sold it in their website already hints that they didn't consider it as something that they planned to go mainstream because if that would be the case it would be available in any digital and retail store.

I think their plan is to have released it as a first iteration that they'll keep improving its software, and in future versions hardware and pricing to get somewhere in the future where it can be a not that niche product, something maybe even viable for the mainstream. Their main business and profit source is Steam, so this is more likely a side pet project for them.

Hope you keep that same energy with the PSVR2 :ROFLMAO:
We don't even have the launch weekend or month sales for PSVR2, so even less first year sales. Sony got happy with PSVR1 numbers and expect PSVR2 to outperform it, and Valve seems happy with Steamdeck.

Sometimes when companies introduce a new technology that they know will need many years to properly get in the market have realistic, low expectations and don't need massive numbers to be happy.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
It doesn't get the same energy because PSVR2 is its own platform with its own library... unlike the Steam Deck.

PSVR2 lives and dies with how much of a market it can create.... Steam Deck doesn't. PSVR2 is exactly like the Vita... and it will fail like it too.

Jesus you guys are terrible at basic logic and reasoning.
Oh yeah PSVR2 is its own platform and steam is the add on.

Lmfao

Reactions: Gediminas

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Oh yeah PSVR2 is its own platform and steam is the add on.

Lmfao
Sweetie... PSVR2 requires developers to build games specifically for it... or it's useless junk... just like the Vita was.

That's not the case with the Steam Deck... The Steam Deck is a handheld PC.. which doesn't even require you to use Steam. ;)