Stellar Blade developer Shift Up to go public at projected valuation of $2.3 billion

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Madness if you ask me.

This is all Tencents doing.

They got a massive stake on the cheap and now they go public at a hefty price.

Same happened with Epic.
Honestly before I created the post I had forgotten Tencent was even a stake holder. They have their hands in everything.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They can't just throw money left and right like their competitor they have to see how things shape up first. If they just start throwing money out they'll easily go bankrupt or we will see more studios close or potentially get sold out. People need to look at both pros and cons here. Judging by your mindset you'd easily sink a company in no time flat. If you're not trolling right now.
And yet Tencent had enough money to invest in Epic, Larian, From and Shift Up way before Sony ever did and now they're raking billions from small investments. Sony have a console and they even fund and publish some of these games 🤡

Tencent makes more money than them as the publisher. This is clown world for Sony.

Zeno

28 Jun 2023
What a surprise, Tencent is already invested. No chance for Sony to get in there or other Asian developers, Tencent seems to be a step ahead, always

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Maverick

1 Sep 2023
Never thought they were that big studio. Missed opportunity for Sony but I expect more partnership between Korean studios and Sony in the future.

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
Sony or ps division s run by morons. Nothing strange.

Also thats overvalued. But let them try

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Tencent invested in them long ago.

No way are they worth 2.3 billion.

Makes Bungie look like a bargain at 2.4 billion.
They make a LOT of gacha money on Nikke, I wouldn't be surprised if they were more profitable than Bungie especially as of late.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
And yet Tencent had enough money to invest in Epic, Larian, From and Shift Up way before Sony ever did and now they're raking billions from small investments. Sony have a console and they even fund and publish some of these games 🤡

Tencent makes more money than them as the publisher. This is clown world for Sony.
Isn't tencent an extension of the Chinese government they'll have plenty of money to burn lol

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Isn't tencent an extension of the Chinese government they'll have plenty of money to burn lol
They invest small money years before the companies get big. They are not burning anything. Sony already has these relationships, they fund the games but they don't invest beyong the actual game. Tencent gets all the rewards with no risk.

Fortnite is big on PS but Tencent makes more profit. They paid 330 millions for 40% of Epic while Sony paid 2 billions for 4.9% 🤡

They also lost Marvel and Spider-Man when they were cheap as fuck. Rocket League, Fall Guys and many more.

Tencent could get Arrowhead and Square tomorrow and nobody would be shocked.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Danja and Puff

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Pretty surprised they are valued that highly, but I forget they have mobile experience which probably factors into it.

Sony've already announced a strategic partnership with Shift-Up; if that doesn't involve buying some sizable amount of shares (especially with how good Stellar Blade looks like it's turning out to be), that'll be a supremely idiotic blunder.
This is the reason PS is going hard w live service & there missing on mobile they have no true experience, only 1 studio they should make mobile studio/publisher acquisition in 2024/2025 if I where them.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
What's going public even mean ,is it related to the stock exchange lol
I might buy 1 share just so I can say I'm an investor 🧐
Going public means this company will be included in the stock exchange market. So investors and people will be able to buy shares of the company.

I don't know how it works in terms of paperwork, taxes, requirements, etc. but yes, you should be able to buy shares. Not sure how it works in other places, but here I can go to my local bank and tell them to buy me a certain amount of shares (or certain amount of money) of whaterver company.

Each share of the company will be initially valued at 200 won ($0.15). Not sure about the fees your bank would ask for, if you have to a minimum.

But pretty likely you can ask your bank to help you spend $10 or $50 dollars acquiring shares of "Shift Up Corporation", mentioning them that the company is listed in the Korean Stock Exchange. You may even be able to do it via your bank smartphone app.

I just checked my case, they offer a dozen comission free operations during the half year and a $1-3 fee per operation.

In China they have public companies (owned by the government) and private companies (not owned by the government). Tencent is a private company.

But like in any country, a local tech company that is top tier worldwide means it's an strategical asset, so they have it pretty much controlled and protected.

On top of that, in China they have a single political party with different factions that have minor differences between them, they basically vote individal people to represent them at a neighborhood, city, province, region and national level. Each one of these steps of government have a lot of direct or indirect presence everywhere via public companies.

Meaning, a huge portion of the people there belongs to the party, to some kind of these steps of government or in a public company related to them. So even private companies have a lot of people from the party/government or that is somehow related to the government.

So technically isn't controlled by the goverment, but indirectly is pretty much controlled. But being a huge company important for their country, the government also does several things to help them.

These huge companies do things like in addition to pay their taxes to make a "donation" to the government to fund a new top tier tech public university, whose best students later will work for them.

On top of that, in China they have super strict regulations for a ton of things, like in this case videogames. Which means they constantly fuck companies like Tencent. To partly avoid this fuckery and prevent harder fuckery, these big private companies invest elsewhere outside their country diversifying their stuff and chasing win/win relationships.

They don't ask to change anything to the acquired/invested company, just the normal share of divends/profits from any other investment. Maybe they help them with other companies they acquired, or help them to enter China in this case publishing their games in their Tencent store and marketing it in the Tencent social networks to boost the value of the acquired/invested company.

This is the reason PS is going hard w live service & there missing on mobile they have no true experience, only 1 studio they should make mobile studio/publisher acquisition in 2024/2025 if I where them.

Half of the gaming revenue is made on mobile games, where basically everything is GaaS:
Global-games-market-revenues-in-2023-per-segment-1536x864.png

Addons (dlc+microtransactions+passes, mostly from GaaS) are the biggest and fastest growing revenue source even in consoles:
image.png

image.png

Sony already had very successful GaaS like LBP, PS Home or GT Sport, and now MLB, GT7, Destiny 2 and Helldivers 2. They acquired or hired expert and successful GaaS devs like Bungie, Firewalk or Haven, or rehired the Rainbow Six Siege director for the Horizon MP game.

Regarding mobile, they acquired a dedicated team, Neon Koi (previously know as Savage), who arre people who worked in top tier mobile companies like Supercell or Rovio, and also top console+PC GaaS devs like Rockstar or Wargaming. Sony also made strategic partnerships with top mobile companies, top worldwide but specially in Asia like Tencent, Netease, NCSoft, Shift Up, MiHoyo or a company who is top 1 in mobile for Japan whose name I forgot but makes Genshin Impact-like games.

They are obviously focusing on their traditional console business, but also growing in GaaS and PC. They have been working to grow in mobile too, but results from that will take a little longer, maybe a year or two.

Last edited: