Stellar Blade developer Shift Up to go public at projected valuation of $2.3 billion

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
They invest small money years before the companies get big. They are not burning anything. Sony already has these relationships, they fund the games but they don't invest beyong the actual game. Tencent gets all the rewards with no risk.

Fortnite is big on PS but Tencent makes more profit. They paid 330 millions for 40% of Epic while Sony paid 2 billions for 4.9% 🤡

They also lost Marvel and Spider-Man when they were cheap as fuck. Rocket League, Fall Guys and many more.

Tencent could get Arrowhead and Square tomorrow and nobody would be shocked.
Who cares if Tencent invest in companies

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
And yet Tencent had enough money to invest in Epic, Larian, From and Shift Up way before Sony ever did and now they're raking billions from small investments. Sony have a console and they even fund and publish some of these games 🤡

Tencent makes more money than them as the publisher. This is clown world for Sony.
Agreed. Sony seems really tight with there money. I mean Tencent is loaded but Sony isnt exactly poor, they miss there chances alot with buying/investing in publishers and studios.
Invest in the likes Capcom, Namco, Take2, Sega, Epic, FromSoft more. They dont have to buy them, but they can certainly afford to invest to acquire 10% of them at least. Which would give them more profits.

They literally are number 1 in video games, start acting like it before it really is too late. They’ve cancelled alot of games, which should make them understand not all there games are gonna be hits like Ghosts of Tsushima, Spiderman or Horizon 1

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony already had very successful GaaS like LBP, PS Home or GT Sport, and now MLB, GT7, Destiny 2 and Helldivers 2. They acquired or hired expert and successful GaaS devs like Bungie, Firewalk or Haven, or rehired the Rainbow Six Siege director for the Horizon MP game.

Regarding mobile, they acquired a dedicated team, Neon Koi (previously know as Savage), who arre people who worked in top tier mobile companies like Supercell or Rovio, and also top console+PC GaaS devs like Rockstar or Wargaming. Sony also made strategic partnerships with top mobile companies, top worldwide but specially in Asia like Tencent, Netease, NCSoft, Shift Up, MiHoyo or a company who is top 1 in mobile for Japan whose name I forgot but makes Genshin Impact-like games.

They are obviously focusing on their traditional console business, but also growing in GaaS and PC. They have been working to grow in mobile too, but results from that will take a little longer, maybe a year or two.

Lets hope we see the fruits of there afforts soon.
Im mostly a singple player gamer, and I hope they always carry that on, Im sure they will. But Im also all for them trying Gaas and mobile to improve there profits. They need it to carry on stronger.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Lets hope we see the fruits of there afforts soon.
Im mostly a singple player gamer, and I hope they always carry that on, Im sure they will. But Im also all for them trying Gaas and mobile to improve there profits. They need it to carry on stronger.
Yes.

As they did with GaaS or PC ports, mobile games or adaptations won't be made by the people who makes their non-GaaS SP games. Mobile games will be handled instead by different teams of experts in this area they will hire, partner with or acquire.

In case of GaaS or PC ports, they acquired Bungie, Haven, Firewalk (originally these 2 were only 2nd party partners but should be particularly promising if acquired), Bungie or Nixxes, hired GaaS experts for their MP teams in San Diego, Polyphony, Guerrilla, ND or London while they kept doing their SP stuff. And also partnered with Deviation or Arrowhead. As normal some games succeded, others didn't work out, others are in the works.

They are preparing a similar thing for mobile: are partering with top tier experts (Tencent, Netease, NC Soft, MiHoyo, Shift Up etc), acquiring (Neon Koi), hiring people to create some internal mobile gaming teams with mobile gaming experts, maybe inside existing 1st party teams or in new studios.

Non-GaaS SP games teams will continue doing their console games as before. They also grew their investment there and plan to continue doing so minimum for the next couple fiscal years.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yes.

As they did with GaaS or PC ports, mobile games or adaptations won't be made by the people who makes their non-GaaS SP games. Mobile games will be handled instead by different teams of experts in this area they will hire, partner with or acquire.

In case of GaaS or PC ports, they acquired Bungie, Haven, Firewalk (originally these 2 were only 2nd party partners but should be particularly promising if acquired), Bungie or Nixxes, hired GaaS experts for their MP teams in San Diego, Polyphony, Guerrilla, ND or London while they kept doing their SP stuff. And also partnered with Deviation or Arrowhead. As normal some games succeded, others didn't work out, others are in the works.

They are preparing a similar thing for mobile: are partering with top tier experts (Tencent, Netease, NC Soft, MiHoyo, Shift Up etc), acquiring (Neon Koi), hiring people to create some internal mobile gaming teams with mobile gaming experts, maybe inside existing 1st party teams or in new studios.

Non-GaaS SP games teams will continue doing their console games as before. They also grew their investment there and plan to continue doing so minimum for the next couple fiscal years.
Im not a fan of the singple player PC ports, but the rest I agree with

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Mobile gaming is the future, this easily proves it

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I wouldn't bet the farm on this game or this team. How are they worth 10x more than Insomniac with no game?

You realise they have multiple successful mobile games, and the director used to design characters for ps2 games way back.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
You realise they have multiple successful mobile games, and the director used to design characters for ps2 games way back.
PS2 character designer means multi billion dollar valuation?

What have you been smoking

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
PS2 character designer means multi billion dollar valuation?

What have you been smoking

Why did you purposefully ignore the part about multiple successful mobile games?

You know even Sony's most profitable game is a mobile game called Fate/Grand Order.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Why did you purposefully ignore the part about multiple successful mobile games?

You know even Sony's most profitable game is a mobile game called Fate/Grand Order.
I didn't I pointed out how odd it was to include that they have a PS2 character designer like that means anything

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I didn't I pointed out how odd it was to include that they have a PS2 character designer like that means anything

To point out how long his been in the industry, his a respected and famous artist in Korea.

It's not really hard to deduce