Stellar Blade is estimated to have sold over 1 million copies according to Shift Up | Developer Confirms they are looking into PC Version

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

xgr7jd7jbo8d1.jpeg

In its stock report, Shift Up noted that Stellar Blade posted revenues of ₩6.3 billion ($4.5 million in April and ₩15.7 billion ($11.3 million) in May. This means Sony has paid the studio ₩22 billion ($15.8 million) in royalties so far.​

ShiftUp discussed Stellar Blade sales at its IPO press conference today. Stellar Blade was released as a PS5 exclusive on 26 April, and ShiftUp estimates that it has sold over one million copies.

"Since launch, Stellar Blade has achieved and maintained a 9.2 user rating on Metacritic, the highest ever for a PS5 title," said Jaewoo Ahn, CFO of ShiftUp. Since launch, it has been the number one selling game in major console markets such as the US and UK, and we estimate that cumulative sales have exceeded one million copies. It's been a great first step for a major global IP."

A PC version of Stellar Blade is being “looked at”, but developer ShiftUp claims it can’t comment further due to its “contractual relationship”.

Speaking at the company’s IPO press conference on Tuesday (reported by GameMeca, translated by VGC), ShiftUp CFO Jaewoo Ahn said that the company is “currently looking at a PC version of Stellar Blade, which we believe would be a great way to monetise the IP once again”.

The company’s CEO Kim Hyung-Tae echoed this, saying:

“We are considering a PC version of Stellar Blade, but we cannot comment on the exact timing or whether or not it will be released due to the contractual relationship.”

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I was actually hoping for a larger volume of sales by now, but all things considered this coming from an unheard-of developer outside mobile games from South Korea and being exclusive to one console, it's still an impressive number for full-price sales.

I also think this game will be a massive success if/when it comes to PC.

Reactions: Gods&Monsters

GachaMadeMeBroke

26 Nov 2023
For an exclusive it’s pretty good. Lies of P managed to do that while being multiplat. Glad to see it did well. Game is awesome

Reactions: Kyoji

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I was hoping for more but it's still early in the release window. Lots of future opportunities for sales.

It's on par with Bayonetta and the Atlus RPGs who are supposed to be huge success when they sell 500,000 across 9 platforms 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: JAHGamer

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Good news, this is almost what Bayonetta games sold on their entire lifetime, not in only a month or two.

This means that pretty likely is on track to end outselling any hack & slash outside DMCV and the GoW games.

Last edited:

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
"The game is a PS5 exclusive, which hasn't seen the same level of penetration and activation as PS4, and the main consumer base for AAA games has been shifting to PCs. We are currently looking at a PC version of Stellar Blade, which we believe would be a great way to monetize the IP once again."

In fact, Shiftup revealed in a securities filing that it is considering a PC version of Stellar Blade and a sequel. However, Shift Up CEO Kim Hyeong-tae said, "We are currently reviewing a PC version of Stellar Blade, and since we are in a contractual relationship, please understand that we cannot tell you about the exact timing or availability."

the main consumer base for AAA games has been shifting to PCs? What a bunch of bullshit 😂

voke

Banned
10 Jan 2023
I’m guessing it’ll top out at 2-3 million once ported, hopefully enough for a sequel. If it did a mill in 2 months on ps5… I can see PC doing maybe half of that.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
the main consumer base for AAA games has been shifting to PCs? What a bunch of bullshit 😂
He's probably talking about the Korean market and comparing what PS4 and PS5 sold there? The AAA market in general is extremely small in Korea.

Its true. At least for me. So in YOUR case it's bullshit. Not generally. :)
But I mostly play indies but that's not the point. :p
No data supports that at all. We have the numbers from all the western publishers and consoles are the biggest source of income. PC looks big because of the Chinese and Korean market (mmos and gachas, not AAA)

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
was hoping for more sales but it's decent for new ip. deserves 3-5m sales imo, i bet it'll get there over lifetime

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
So basically similar sales numbers to gravity rush 2? It also sold a million in the same window, and then just stopped seling. I wonder how long the legs are for this game.