Stellar Blade is estimated to have sold over 1 million copies according to Shift Up | Developer Confirms they are looking into PC Version

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
And how would you know that? Do you have access to the budget documents? By your logic, a game like SF6 should've also been considered a failure because that game did ~ 2 million in a similar span of time across a lot of additional platforms (PS5, PS4, XBS, PC (Steam)).

You also seem to forget this game was part of SIE's China Hero Project; you've no idea what subsidizations were involved in the project, or things like tax breaks or special loans from South Korean banks, or funds provided by Chinese investment firms as part of the China Hero Project, etc. As well, the game is only two months old; it will have the rest of the generation to sell copies, it will have a PC port in the future, and its presence in the meantime on the console along with other games will help provide value proposition that interests more people to buy PS5s.

The idea that every single game, even if it's an exclusive, has to on its own be a mega-gangbuster sales behemoth to justify itself in the market is born from nonsensical and greedy shareholders who don't comprehend the non-tangible benefits exclusives bring to a platform for its platform holder. These types of people are shockingly short-term thinkers and lack the nuance of longer-term market outlooks or a historical understanding of the industry from multiple perspectives to extrapolate a polished long-term outlook thereof.

I don't know if you realize this, but you are inadvertently playing right into the rhetoric various games "journalists" and Xbox console warriors have been using the past few years to diminish various PlayStation exclusives in their pursuit to make exclusives (mainly 3P exclusives) look "anti-consumer"...but only when PlayStation does it. That's the only time it matters (apparently).

The fact that you would think a fighting game with a much smaller development team selling twice as much in the same time is somehow in line with this says everything...

Even with tax breaks, I was being conservative in suggesting that this game would take 50 million to develop. It was almost certainly more than that.

1127 people are credited in Stellar Blade... and the game was in development for 5 years.

What lacks nuance is your response, but no 1 million isn't going to be enough for this game.

I own a PS5, I'm not a Sony fanboy. I don't play into the rhetoric of anyone. I don't care if this game is a PlayStation exclusive or otherwise. I don't care if my favorite games sell well nor do I care if games that I don't buy sell well or not either. I, unlike you, Mr. VR streaming don't make my arguments based on my emotional ties to things.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
In its stock report, Shift Up noted that Stellar Blade posted revenues of ₩6.3 billion ($4.5 million in April and ₩15.7 billion ($11.3 million) in May. This means Sony has paid the studio ₩22 billion ($15.8 million) in royalties so far.
Seems sensible to say that shift-up is receiving a 20/80 royalty split if they're estimating 1 million sales from those royalty numbers. I think that does show that the game hasn't made its money back as usually these types of publisher-sided royalty splits only happen until the publisher recoups its investment. What we dont know is the digital/physical split, if it's 50/50 then the number of sales could be around 1.7m due to lower publisher revenue from physical.

Although @mibu no ookami I don't think it's very fair to talk about what a game cost based on credits size. Most of those credited did not work on the game for 5 years, they did localization, marketing, or some piecework. You need to look at the size of the core team and the salary in Korea to make an educated guess on what it cost to make.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
Lol, this guy is such a hypocrite 😂 He considers the PC port initiatives a success when they can barely generate 30 million profit after 3+ years. But Stellar Blade generating well over 30 million in 1 month is bad? 🤣

When the game goes to PC and sells 50k copies, he will say it's amazing 🤡 just like his corporate overlords.

Plus the 1 million for Stellar Blade (a new IP from a company unknown to console gamers prior its release) was over a 1-month period. The game has undoubtedly sold more since the end of that one month tracking period.

The fact that you would think a fighting game with a much smaller development team selling twice as much in the same time is somehow in line with this says everything...

So you know SF6's budget, huh? Link the documents.

Even with tax breaks, I was being conservative in suggesting that this game would take 50 million to develop. It was almost certainly more than that.

So you know Stellar Blade's budget, huh? Link the documents.

1127 people are credited in Stellar Blade... and the game was in development for 5 years.

By that logic the full dev size team for TLOU2 was in fact over 2,000 people...no most of that 2,000 were temp contract positions. Same with HiFi Rush...same with games like Spiderman 2...same with Stellar Blade.

You're pulling a classic game of conflation here.

What lacks nuance is your response, but no 1 million isn't going to be enough for this game.

1 million in four weeks for a new IP from a relatively unknown dev to most console gamers is a success no matter how you cut it. Your weird attempt to tongue-twist that into a failure or shortcoming is flawed.

I own a PS5, I'm not a Sony fanboy.

Already attempting to ascribe a negative connotation to a slice of a community because they have an opinion on the platform you don't agree with. Tsk-tsk.

I don't play into the rhetoric of anyone. I don't care if this game is a PlayStation exclusive or otherwise. I don't care if my favorite games sell well nor do I care if games that I don't buy sell well or not either.

When did I said YOU thought highly of this game because it's a PS exclusive? I merely said that there is a very real narrative that a lot of Western games media are trying to push when it comes to the idea of game exclusivity, mainly to the benefit of one platform holder and at the disadvantage of another platform holder.

Ironically, the one that narrative is targeted against is the same one you drool over when it comes to talking revenue and profits.

I, unlike you, Mr. VR streaming don't make my arguments based on my emotional ties to things.

Well in the case of games like this you haven't made a single portion of your argument based on facts, either. I mean, you don't even have the finance and budgeting documents for Stellar Blade or Street Fighter 6, yet state so assuredly that their budgets "must" be this or that.

That sounds very much like an emotionally (or better to say, ego) driven argument to me :/

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Seems sensible to say that shift-up is receiving a 20/80 royalty split if they're estimating 1 million sales from those royalty numbers. I think that does show that the game hasn't made its money back as usually these types of publisher-sided royalty splits only happen until the publisher recoups its investment. What we dont know is the digital/physical split, if it's 50/50 then the number of sales could be around 1.7m due to lower publisher revenue from physical.

Although @mibu no ookami I don't think it's very fair to talk about what a game cost based on credits size. Most of those credited did not work on the game for 5 years, they did localization, marketing, or some piecework. You need to look at the size of the core team and the salary in Korea to make an educated guess on what it cost to make.

I'm not saying that everyone who is credited worked on the game, but I hope you realize that localization, marketing, e.t.c. is part of a game's budget.

1000+ people, yeah, there is definitely cost associated with that.

The game wasn't just made by a team in Korea. They certainly had contractors and external vendors from around the world. This all costs money.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Plus the 1 million for Stellar Blade (a new IP from a company unknown to console gamers prior its release) was over a 1-month period. The game has undoubtedly sold more since the end of that one month tracking period.

So you know SF6's budget, huh? Link the documents.

So you know Stellar Blade's budget, huh? Link the documents.

Some people use common sense and deduction. What show was more expensive The Last of Us? Or Jeopardy?

The fact that you keep up bringing up the fact that it was a new IP doesn't change how much the game cost to develop.

Stellar Blade fell off the charts hard, just like rise of the ronin.

By that logic the full dev size team for TLOU2 was in fact over 2,000 people...no most of that 2,000 were temp contract positions. Same with HiFi Rush...same with games like Spiderman 2...same with Stellar Blade.

You're pulling a classic game of conflation here.

Yeah, contractors are free now... I'll let companies across the world know that from now on, they don't need to pay their contractors lol... Hope you realize that in many cases contractors are even more expensive than FTEs.

1 million in four weeks for a new IP from a relatively unknown dev to most console gamers is a success no matter how you cut it. Your weird attempt to tongue-twist that into a failure or shortcoming is flawed.

Here you go again with this new IP again or that the dev team was relatively unknown.

Your argument is that this is a success even if it isn't profitable, and I doubt Sony would see it the same way. They've deemed games that have sold way better than this failures, which before you twist it, isn't to say that any game that sells less is a failure, but these games are judged by P/L.

Already attempting to ascribe a negative connotation to a slice of a community because they have an opinion on the platform you don't agree with. Tsk-tsk.

No idea what you're talking about here. You were somehow claiming I should be defending Sony from rhetoric. That's the job of a fanboy. I own a PS5, but I'm not illogically loyal to a plastic box.

When did I said YOU thought highly of this game because it's a PS exclusive? I merely said that there is a very real narrative that a lot of Western games media are trying to push when it comes to the idea of game exclusivity, mainly to the benefit of one platform holder and at the disadvantage of another platform holder.

You're the one who brought up rhetoric and defending against it, like you're a warrior in a console war.

Ironically, the one that narrative is targeted against is the same one you drool over when it comes to talking revenue and profits.

Again, you're making no sense. What narrative do I drool over when it comes to talking revenue and profit?

Well in the case of games like this you haven't made a single portion of your argument based on facts, either. I mean, you don't even have the finance and budgeting documents for Stellar Blade or Street Fighter 6, yet state so assuredly that their budgets "must" be this or that.

That sounds very much like an emotionally (or better to say, ego) driven argument to me :/

Again, you can tell from their public statements that they aren't pleased with the sales. Which is why he is talking about a limited userbase to sell to and options to get their money back on PC.

Once again, you come into something with an agenda, and if it doesn't fit the agenda, you'll argue against it, regardless of reality. Again the same thing that got you in trouble with PSVR2 PC. You wanted it to be streaming, so you said it was definitely going to be streaming, when that didn't make any sense.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Just to put into perspective how bad PC is doing and how well consoles are going, here are stats from France. That's all PCs, not just gaming (note 7:1 console vs pc software sales).

Units Sales of audiovisual devices:

Categorie20222023+/-
Smartphones15.6M13.6M-12.8%
PC6.7M6.1M-9.3%
TV3.8M3.8M-2.8%
Consoles1.7M2.4M+41.9%
Including Nintendo Switch1.0M0.9M-10.2%
Tablets1.9M1.5M-18.4%
DVD/Blu-ray playbacks0.4M0.3M-12.9%
Sources: CNC, GfK.

Exact number for consoles units is 2426K (1710K in 2022)

Video game software:

Categorie20222023+/-
Units
Console21.5M21.7M+0.6%
PC3.8M4.3M+13.9%
Average price
Console€40.76€42.22+4.5%
PC€25.00€28.18+12.7%
Source: CNC, GSD

To give some perspectives about sales of audiovisual devices:
In units it's the worst year for Smartphones since 2012.
For tablets 2023 was the worse year since 2011 at the beggening of tablets introduction.
For TV it's the worse year in more than 15 years but it's a small decrease YoY.
PC are on decline since the end of pandemic but I don't have historical data.
Console are the only device increasing YoY thanks to end of shortages but sales remain bellow 2017 and 2018.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
SF6 just sold 2M? Ain't that pretty low? Seems Capcom is aiming for whales to keep their revenue up with DLCbd costumes.

I’d argue that SF6 is underperforming in the modern online environment in both sales and engagement.

However compared to street fighter historically it may be looking healthy. Compared to RE’s growth it’s disappointing to see SF not keeping up.

I preferred how SFV did unlocks and its economy. People whined but whatever… should’ve kept moving with the online driven model for that stuff.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
SF6 just sold 2M? Ain't that pretty low? Seems Capcom is aiming for whales to keep their revenue up with DLCbd costumes.

Street Fighter VI (PS5/PS4/PC/XS) Sales :
  • 1 million in 5 days
  • 2 million in 1 month
  • 2.4 million in 4 months
  • 3 million in 7 months
  • 3.3 million in 10 months

Street Fighter IV [Vanilla] (PS3/360)
  • 2 million in 10 days
  • 2.5 million in 2 months
  • 3.5 million in end of life

Street Fighter V (PS4/PC)
  • 1.4 million in just over a month
  • 2 million in 18 months
  • 4 million in 4 years
  • 5 million in 4 years and 9 months
  • 6 million in 5 years and 9 months
  • 7 million in 7 years
  • 7.4 million in 7 years and 8 months
  • 7.5 million in 8 years and 2 months

Last edited:
Reactions: mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Yes the 2 million I mentioned was a 1-month period to match the 1-month period for Stellar Blade's reported sales to debunk @mibu no ookami insanely poor rhetoric around the latter's sales.

First you're making the assumption that 2 million for one game is equal to 2 million for another, least of all to mention that one game has a completely different curve than the other.

But you're constantly wrong here. You'll forever be Mr. VR Streaming.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
So hellblade with multiple game awards reveals, multiple E3 shows, all the game shill networks, and an established name can’t make the top 100 in Europe but a new IP the media hated sells a million in 2 months?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
We really here comparing established franchises sales to a new IP, polished console entry from a mobile dev?
Bayonetta 3 sold over 1 million as well in the same timeframe and was the fastest selling in the series on Switch, I am just glad this has done well and hopefully continues to sell well since the CEO was talking about making it a franchise. Hopefully more people get to it, actions games have become more niche over the generations.

24 Jun 2022
First you're making the assumption that 2 million for one game is equal to 2 million for another, least of all to mention that one game has a completely different curve than the other.

Yeah, the one with 1 million sales in 4 weeks has already said it's their biggest success to date, being an unproven dev in the AAA console space and having only made mobile games up to this point.

The other with 2 million sales in 4 weeks had a marginally faster sales rate in same time frame vs. the previous game in a prolific AAA fighting game series that was console-exclusive last gen, despite its sequel now being on a platform that everyone swore would be such a massive boon for software sales (Xbox).

You're ignoring a lot of context to paint the former as a failure, and that is oddly conspicuous.

But you're constantly wrong here. You'll forever be Mr. VR Streaming.

Be that as you may think, at least I have interests in this industry beyond what profits a multi-billion or multi-trillion dollar conglomerate is making, especially when that money is doing absolutely nothing for me personally :/

So hellblade with multiple game awards reveals, multiple E3 shows, all the game shill networks, and an established name can’t make the top 100 in Europe but a new IP the media hated sells a million in 2 months?

One month. The period covered here was over the course of 4 weeks.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
the main consumer base for AAA games has been shifting to PCs? What a bunch of bullshit 😂

Yeah I saw that was said. That’s not true at all. Stellar Blade is new IP that is niche. Enjoy your 1M and STFU. It doesn’t help that they already mentioning a possible PC version that will now limit PS5 sales.

There’s been so much FUD about consoles lately.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
GQ6xGFwbEAAf2TV

Roadmap of Stellar Blade, DLC and sequel planned.

• Heart
Reactions: 2spooky5me