Stellar Blade (previously Project EVE) - State of Play Sep 2022 Story Trailer | PS5 Games

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Oh wow.....didn't know they own Stellar Blade and Ronin. If the game does well, would be interesting if Shift up becomes an acquisition target (while they are still cheap).
With obviously exceptions of licenses like MLB or Spider-Man Sony owns all the game IPs they publish.

In recent years they did things like allowing 2nd party teams publish on PC with other publishers or even in a handful cases to buy them the IPs they made for Sony. In more recent times Sony even published their own stuff on PC, or funds indies that are selfpublished, so Sony doesn't publish them or own their IP, and only asks them timed console exclusivities.

So in a 99% Sony may own these IPs.

Sony also acquired several 2nd party teams in recent years like Housemarque, Bluepoint, Haven, Insomniac or Firesprite. So who knows, if they get happy with them they may buy them too.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
With obviously exceptions of licenses like MLB or Spider-Man Sony owns all the game IPs they publish.

In recent years they did things like allowing 2nd party teams publish on PC with other publishers or even in a handful cases to buy them the IPs they made for Sony. In more recent times Sony even published their own stuff on PC, or funds indies that are selfpublished, so Sony doesn't publish them or own their IP, and only asks them timed console exclusivities.

So in a 99% Sony may own these IPs.

Sony also acquired several 2nd party teams in recent years like Housemarque, Bluepoint, Haven, Insomniac or Firesprite. So who knows, if they get happy with them they may buy them too.
In the case of Ronin and Stellar Blade, I heard that Sony won't own these IPs. Otherwise, they'd be PlayStation Studios titles, not by SIE.

These two games are getting the same treatment as KOTOR. The IP doesn't belong to Sony, but they are publishing it. All three games will likely be console exclusives forever.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
In the case of Ronin and Stellar Blade, I heard that Sony won't own these IPs. Otherwise, they'd be PlayStation Studios titles, not by SIE.

These two games are getting the same treatment as KOTOR. The IP doesn't belong to Sony, but they are publishing it. All three games will likely be console exclusives forever.
The console game publishing label of SIE is PS Studios (and now Bungie too). If these games aren't going to be published by Bungie and Sony/SIE publishes them, then the publishing label is PS Studios.

KOTOR is a licensed game, like Spider-Man or MLB. Not a game IP that debuts with them, as it's the case of Detroit, Bloodborne, Death Stranding, Returnal, Stellar Blade or Rise of the Ronin.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Well I think I will need to compared that tower in Bayonetta 3 to see which one is better made.

Fcn-xXGaIAEGwyn

futurama GIF

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The console game publishing label of SIE is PS Studios (and now Bungie too). If these games aren't going to be published by Bungie and Sony/SIE publishes them, then the publishing label is PS Studios.

KOTOR is a licensed game, like Spider-Man or MLB. Not a game IP that debuts with them, as it's the case of Detroit, Bloodborne, Death Stranding, Returnal, Stellar Blade or Rise of the Ronin.
But the SOP trailers for both games didn't show PS Studios.

I don't think Sony owns these IPs right now. Will get more info on these closer to release.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
But the SOP trailers for both games didn't show PS Studios.

I don't think Sony owns these IPs right now. Will get more info on these closer to release.
They didn't show the PS Studios logo but did show the "SIE presents" logo (which means PS Studios publishes it) and mentioned they are console exclusive (which is the case of PS Studios published games).

We don't know if they will have PC version or not, and in case they have it, how many years they will wait to release it on PC after the original PS release, which as of now is around 2 years or more for (non Bungie) SIE published games.

Outside licensed games SIE owned all the IPs they published until now, so pretty likely will be the case of these ones too. But in recent years they did many things like being open to port old games to PC, to allow 2nd partys buy their IPs or publish them elsewhere with other publishers, or with small teams they fund now they give the indies the IP and only ask for timed console exclusive. So who knows.

Last edited: