Stores are bundling Starfield with an Xbox Series X for free

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
starfield-hits-10-million-players-in-less-than-three-weeks_gect.jpg

Multiple stores are bundling Starfield and other Xbox Series X games with the console for a limited time.

Multiple online retailers are offering a special limited-time bundle that includes a free copy of Starfield--or in the case of Target, a game of your choice--when you buy a new Xbox Series X console.

Verizon's version of the deal includes a free copy of Starfield and the Xbox Series X for $500 (normally $570). The offer is only available online, but it's open to everyone, even if you're not a Verizon customer. You can grab the deal over on Verizon's online store. Verizon offers free two-day shipping.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Serious question how does this help them achieve game pass subscription numbers if they’re bundling just the game with the console? I think that tells you how desperate they are and how bad it probably underperformed. One of the 2.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
This is laughable. Starfield was supposed to be the pitch for getting Game Pass now that they're doing console bundle with the game included, folks can just ignored Game Pass. Lol.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS and Dabaus

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
This is laughable. Starfield was supposed to be the pitch for getting Game Pass now that they're doing console bundle with the game included, folks can just ignored Game Pass. Lol.
Trying to thread the needle of "we shipped a lot of copies" and "it grew Game Pass" by giving subsidising the game out of Microsoft's deep pockets.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Wait, why is Verizon selling consoles?
I think they were selling series S last year too. some sort of deal with microsoft, but they ended up not being able to clear inventory and had to run a really deep sale for a while

• Informative
Reactions: Zzero

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Serious question how does this help them achieve game pass subscription numbers if they’re bundling just the game with the console? I think that tells you how desperate they are and how bad it probably underperformed. One of the 2.
They need to sell more consoles for third party publishers to even consider them a viable platform to publish their games on. I mean, right now they probably sell less than 1/3 series consoles compared to what PS 5 is selling and less than half of what the Switch sold in August.

Do that for a little while longer, maybe it will get even worse, and you're going to be completely irrelevant. Especially given the fact 3/4 of their "next gen" machines are essentially ps4 pros with SSDs.

There are very few series X in the hands of actual gamers.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
24 Jun 2022
Yeah this game will struggle to break Top 5 in September's NPD/Circana at this rate. Would be one thing if the bundle factors the price of the game itself with maybe a small discount; this is basically them trying to move units (physical and digital) of the game.

Too new a release to be doing this for it to be otherwise.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
They need to sell more consoles for third party publishers to even consider them a viable platform to publish their games on. I mean, right now they probably sell less than 1/3 series consoles compared to what PS 5 is selling and less than half of what the Switch sold in August.

Do that for a little while longer, maybe it will get even worse, and you're going to be completely irrelevant. Especially given the fact 3/4 of their "next gen" machines are essentially ps4 pros with SSDs.

I was also thinking this. I wonder if at what point third parties start to ask for better splits (80:20, 90:10?) like Activsion did? At what point to third parties start make ultimatums that they need to hit a certain threshold sold i wonder? I think THATS what these bundles are more about than actually getting starfield out there?

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

It’s 1/3 of the install base for this gen, and declining. Sales are wildly tilted in Sony’s favour and momentum is building in that direction.