Super Mario Wonder Official Review Thread.

What will be the score?

• 60-70

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 71-80

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 81-90

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • 91 to goty contender

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
So I watched a bunch of gameplay. This game doesn't look like a 92 game. It looks like an 8/10. I don't know how Nintendo gets away with not being innovative at all. The art style is also hideous and lacks the charm of previous Mario games. What the hell?

Imo I'm not sure about the score, but I agree on the art style. The game looks like it was made at home by someone with just enough skills in unity.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
So I watched a bunch of gameplay. This game doesn't look like a 92 game. It looks like an 8/10. I don't know how Nintendo gets away with not being innovative at all. The art style is also hideous and lacks the charm of previous Mario games. What the hell?
Well I went and got it because of the reviews. And Spider-Man 2 didn’t unlock early enough for me so I played a bit of wonder tonight with the lady taking control of player 2.

I thought it was mostly fun though I have pretty low patience for most games these days. But I thought there were several moments in just the first few levels that surprised me and made me smile. I think it’s gotta be different playing vs watching. I don’t see how watching any game gives you a good idea on how it actually feels to play it. Kinda similar to watching sports vs taking part. Not the same at all.

I kinda agree on the graphics. Yes Wonder is more technically advanced but Super Mario World has much more character and “looks better.” And that’s a SNES game. It still looks too much like NSMB style to me, and I never liked those. I wish they would do this kinda thing as a great hand drawn title with amazing animation and art. The super clean and sterile 2.5d just feels cheap to me.

Will keep going on it as I feel like it, because it does feel creative. But yeah … imo it’s … fine. 😛 I’m only a few levels in though. Tomorrow I’ll do SM2.

Reactions: arvfab

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023
I think that with " previous Mario games" you are thinking at pretty old titles like Yoshi's Island, because all of the "New" Super Mario Bros games, starting from Wii, had a pretty awful artstyle, cold and stiff and this seems like a slight progress from those, to me

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think that with " previous Mario games" you are thinking at pretty old titles like Yoshi's Island, because all of the "New" Super Mario Bros games, starting from Wii, had a pretty awful artstyle, cold and stiff and this seems like a slight progress from those, to me
Even the 3d mario games like galaxy and odyssey are way better than this, it looks like someone hired interns to do this shit. the speech bubbles remind me of clippy from ms word.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Close to 92

1697790742-image.png

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Even the 3d mario games like galaxy and odyssey are way better than this, it looks like someone hired interns to do this shit. the speech bubbles remind me of clippy from ms word.
I love the 3D ones but sometimes I like to jump into a nice looking 2D game with good 3D backgrounds.

24 Jun 2022
Close to 92

1697790742-image.png

It WAS a 92 earlier with 84 reviews. One of the reviews that dragged the MC down a point was removed. Curious which it was and why it was removed.

For comparison, SM2's score went back up to 91 but that was after a review or two were added, nothing removed. MC is so inconsistent about why some reviews get taken down but others don't. By their metric the ArsTechnica review for SM2 should be considered an 8/10 or 8.5/10 if they 'recommended' the game, that would probably put its MC at a 92.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

TaySan

5 Sep 2022
One of the best and most polished 2D Mario games since Mario World imo. Gives me really classic gaming vibes. No large day-one patches or intrusive DLC. Just fun gameplay

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It WAS a 92 earlier with 84 reviews. One of the reviews that dragged the MC down a point was removed. Curious which it was and why it was removed.

For comparison, SM2's score went back up to 91 but that was after a review or two were added, nothing removed. MC is so inconsistent about why some reviews get taken down but others don't. By their metric the ArsTechnica review for SM2 should be considered an 8/10 or 8.5/10 if they 'recommended' the game, that would probably put its MC at a 92.
Interesting.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023
The 3D games are WAY more interesting stylistically of the sidescrolling ones since, I would say, Mario Sunshine on the Gamecube. They have become the main evolutionary line of line, while the sidescrolling were playing second fiddle and limiting themselves to reiterate the same stylistic feature with a minimum of variations.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Game is very fun. Reminds me of Yoshi’s Island in how much the art style and presentation slides away from traditional Mario.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Thia game has really surprised me. Not only does it have the best graphics in a game I've seen all year, but the game play is really fun.

I was afraid it would turn out to be another NSMB bs, but it's actually a great game.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
One of the best and most polished 2D Mario games since Mario World imo. Gives me really classic gaming vibes. No large day-one patches or intrusive DLC. Just fun gameplay
Who gives a fuck if a game has patches? You don’t want things fixed if they need it? Prefer the “good old days” where they’d just never fix problems?

Also, Super Mario World was where Mario became mediocre pablum that had no difficulty and just started recycling itself endlessly, so holding it up as some sort of highlight is pretty telling.