Switch 2 rumor |OT| launch at $400. |UP| Successor to switch will be announced at end of fiscal year.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Is there any other 3rd party AAA Switch exclusive?

Is there any other 3rd party Switch exclusive that sold let's say over 4 million units?

This list may be outdated, but the next best selling 3rd party exclusive game after MHR is Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa Mo Teiban! (not a AAA game at all, it's a board game), having sold 4M+ units.

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I'll buy it day 1 if it delivers 4K when docked and BC, but I don't think this is well positioned on the market. It'll be my first Nintendo device since the SNES/GBC (I can't remember if i actually owned a GBA).

400 dollars is just too much and this isn't going to be good enough for 3rd party, especially once the PS6 launches.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
"Switch 2" GPU vs (RTX 3050)
  • 1536 Cuda cores (2560)
  • 48 Tensors cores (80)
  • 12 RT cores (20)
  • 120 GB/s (224)

Based on this leak it's 60% of an RTX 3050

image.png
image.png
image.png

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
Is there any other 3rd party AAA Switch exclusive?

Is there any other 3rd party Switch exclusive that sold let's say over 4 million units?

This list may be outdated, but the next best selling 3rd party exclusive game after MHR is Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa Mo Teiban! (not a AAA game at all, it's a board game), having sold 4M+ units.
Over 2 million is well.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
That doesn't seem bad for a portable. It's like an RX 570 with DLSS. PS4 pro like performance before DLSS.

Looks adequate for a 1080p screen.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
  • Handheld: Right above PS4* before DLSS
  • Docked: Between PS4 Pro* & Xbox Series S* before DLSS with more modern hardware than the former
  • RAM: Slower than PS5 & XSX|S in
    the speed department, but more capacity than XSS. Should have 10.5-11 GB
    of RAM available to games going by the Switch 1's RAM allotment for its
    OS.
  • Storage: UFS 3.1's max speeds should be a hair under XSX|S (2.1 GB/s vs. 2.4 GB/s), still plenty fast even if not maxed out.Lines up with what Digital Foundry &
    NateDrake heard about decompression techniques & fast load times of
    the BotW tech demo (respectively for each source).

Source

Lynsen

18 Apr 2024
Yes, and was a timed console exclusive, Capcom went later to also release it where their previous Monster Hunter was released. Maybe because that previous MH, which wasn't available on Switch, did sell way better and is the best selling MH game ever.

Umm, not sure what the argument here? Yes, Monster Hunter World, a game released on all platforms except Switch, sold better than Rise, a title that Capcom themselves marketed as not being part of the mainline MH series and it was exclusive to single platform. Despite this, by January 2022 (before it was ported to PC) it had sold over 8 million copies

Name another AAA third-party title that launched on Switch day one

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I'd say it's quite a lot more powerful than a PS4. It's a portable PS4 pro with more modern architecture and DLSS.
It would be a shame if Nintendo doesn't find the way to boost resolution at least on those old switch titles. With the additional power of the new console they would be hitting their FPS caps with no drops.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Alright guys this sounds like pure cope.

Remember when that bs rumors surfaced, that Nintendo presented FF7R in 4K + 60fps? Nah son, FF7R is not even running on native 4K and 60 fps on PS5. 😭🤧

I swear Drones are the new Xbots.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I'd say it's quite a lot more powerful than a PS4. It's a portable PS4 pro with more modern architecture and DLSS.
It would be a shame if Nintendo doesn't find the way to boost resolution at least on those old switch titles. With the additional power of the new console they would be hitting their FPS caps with no drops.
I just think it won't be. I get what rumors are saying but I think it'll be around PS4 levels docked.

Reactions: Muddasar
24 Jun 2022
  • 1536 Cuda cores (2560)
  • 48 Tensors cores (80)
  • 12 RT cores (20)
  • 120 GB/s (224)

image.png
image.png
image.png

It's a lot more performant than many want to give it credit for.

120 GB/s LPDDR5, DLSS 3.1/3.2, somewhere between PS4 Pro and Series S in Docked Mode, 12 GB of RAM. I think it'll do pretty well with 3P ports even if some will require particular optimizations.

I also expect there'll be a lot more 3P support out of the gate for this one.

I just think it won't be. I get what rumors are saying but I think it'll be around PS4 levels docked.

No that's too conservative IMHO. If you look at Nintendo's history, even if just modern history, they've always aimed for their off-cycle system to be roughly on par with what the immediate last generation provided. At least, they they're coming off a relatively successful gen hardware-wise. The Wii U was a bomb and Nvidia's mobile GPU tech wasn't great at the time, so Nintendo had to take what they could get.

The Switch has been a massive success, and last gen not only saw the PS4 & XBO, but the PS4 Pro and One X. So Nintendo would have been looking at both of those for what to target for a Switch 2, not just the base consoles. You also can't underestimate what DLSS brings to the table, and whatever customizations have been added (like Sony, Nintendo aren't shy about using customizations in their hardware designs).

Considering this is a system that'll have to see things through to at least the end of the decade, and knowing Nintendo would be aware of future PC handhelds to come, there's no reason they'd only aim for base PS4 performance. I say base PS4 in handheld mode, somewhere close to Series S when docked. Also, if Sony/SIE are indeed considering their own portable companion for PS6, we should want the Switch 2 to hit around Series S when docked because otherwise that won't spell good news for a PS6 handheld performance-wise, IMO.

Alright guys this sounds like pure cope.

Remember when that bs rumors surfaced, that Nintendo presented FF7R in 4K + 60fps? Nah son, FF7R is not even running on native 4K and 60 fps on PS5. 😭🤧

I swear Drones are the new Xbots.

What exactly is unbelievable about these Switch 2 specs for a device launching in early 2025 for a mass market? Switch 2 could probably definitely runs VII Remake at 4K60 albeit reconstructed 4K with DLSS 3.1 or 3.2.

Remember, Remake came out and was designed around the base PS4 (and PS4 Pro). Both systems the Switch 2 seems to be performing roughly equal to but with modern GPU & CPU features. Y'all gotta stop underestimating Nintendo on this kind of stuff 😂

Last edited:

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
Umm, not sure what the argument here? Yes, Monster Hunter World, a game released on all platforms except Switch, sold better than Rise, a title that Capcom themselves marketed as not being part of the mainline MH series and it was exclusive to single platform. Despite this, by January 2022 (before it was ported to PC) it had sold over 8 million copies

Name another AAA third-party title that launched on Switch day one
Because?

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Oh crap, I guess it's hype season for Nintendo again, the kind of hype that always makes fans fall harder than ever.

Guys, don't do this to yourselves. You'll only need to cope harder and cry a lot more when the day comes.

• 1536 Cuda cores (2560)
  • 48 Tensors cores (80)
  • 12 RT cores (20)
  • 120 GB/s (224)

I don't know where that GPU arrangement is coming from (12 SM sounds too large for a 5W chip from Nintendo but ok) but even if it's real, it's absolutely not 60% of a desktop RTX 3050 like the one you posted.

That graphics card consumes 130W (just GPU, no CPU) and the Switch 2 will consume ~10x less than that while having to power the CPU as well. The iGPU in the Switch 2 isn't going to clock all the way up to 1940MHz. It'll probably be 1GHz in docked mode. Maybe even less if it has 12 fully functioning SM. Not to mention the halved memory bandwidth that also needs to feed the CPU.

At best, we're looking at half the compute performance of the RTX 2050 Mobile (Ampere 2048 shaders @1400MHz, 112GB/s just for GPU) which is Steam Deck levels of performance when docked.

• Handheld: Right above PS4* before DLSS
  • Docked: Between PS4 Pro* & Xbox Series S* before DLSS with more modern hardware than the former
  • RAM: Slower than PS5 & XSX|S in
    the speed department, but more capacity than XSS. Should have 10.5-11 GB
    of RAM available to games going by the Switch 1's RAM allotment for its
    OS.
  • Storage: UFS 3.1's max speeds should be a hair under XSX|S (2.1 GB/s vs. 2.4 GB/s), still plenty fast even if not maxed out.Lines up with what Digital Foundry &
    NateDrake heard about decompression techniques & fast load times of
    the BotW tech demo (respectively for each source).

Source
The original source for those performance numbers is actually a guy from Resetera who calls himself a "Diversity Analyst".
The dude hasn't the faintest idea about actual performance numbers because no one's seen anything about CPU and GPU clocks (as he himself reveals later in the thread). The thing isn't coming out in another 11 months so there's a good chance no one knows because there are no production units available yet.

Later in the thread he says he took the performance numbers by assuming the same GPU clocks as the Switch 1. If it's the same 384MHz hand / 768MHz docked clocks then the raw performance is:
- Handheld 1.18 TFLOPs FP32 (2.36 TF dual issue)
- Docked 2.39 TFLOPs FP32 (or 4.8TF dual-issue like RDNA3 vs RDNA2)

Neither is 1.18 TFLOPs much faster than the PS4's 1.8TFLOPs, nor is the 2.39 TFLOPs much faster than the PS4 Pro's 4TFLOPs.
And then he decides to put that "before DLSS" crap, as if there hadn't been any temporal upscaling tech used in the PS4 and PS4 Pro. DLSS takes a lead over those but it's not like it comes for free on a small GPU.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Oh crap, I guess it's hype season for Nintendo again, the kind of hype that always makes fans fall harder than ever.

Guys, don't do this to yourselves. You'll only need to cope harder and cry a lot more when the day comes.

I don't know where that GPU arrangement is coming from (12 SM sounds too large for a 5W chip from Nintendo but ok) but even if it's real, it's absolutely not 60% of a desktop RTX 3050 like the one you posted.

That graphics card consumes 130W (just GPU, no CPU) and the Switch 2 will consume ~10x less than that while having to power the CPU as well. The iGPU in the Switch 2 isn't going to clock all the way up to 1940MHz. It'll probably be 1GHz in docked mode. Maybe even less if it has 12 fully functioning SM. Not to mention the halved memory bandwidth that also needs to feed the CPU.

At best, we're looking at half the compute performance of the RTX 2050 Mobile (Ampere 2048 shaders @1400MHz, 112GB/s just for GPU) which is Steam Deck levels of performance when docked.

The original source for those performance numbers is actually a guy from Resetera who calls himself a "Diversity Analyst".
The dude hasn't the faintest idea about actual performance numbers because no one's seen anything about CPU and GPU clocks (as he himself reveals later in the thread). The thing isn't coming out in another 11 months so there's a good chance no one knows because there are no production units available yet.

Later in the thread he says he took the performance numbers by assuming the same GPU clocks as the Switch 1. If it's the same 384MHz hand / 768MHz docked clocks then the raw performance is:
- Handheld 1.18 TFLOPs FP32 (2.36 TF dual issue)
- Docked 2.39 TFLOPs FP32 (or 4.8TF dual-issue like RDNA3 vs RDNA2)

Neither is 1.18 TFLOPs much faster than the PS4's 1.8TFLOPs, nor is the 2.39 TFLOPs much faster than the PS4 Pro's 4TFLOPs.
And then he decides to put that "before DLSS" crap, as if there hadn't been any temporal upscaling tech used in the PS4 and PS4 Pro. DLSS takes a lead over those but it's not like it comes for free on a small GPU.
I remember we had all diff types of architecture rumors and ppl saying it was going to be this powerful due to the new chips Nintendo might use and of course we got the Switch levels of nothing 🤣 They added one more pixel to Mario's hat 😎😂

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Its 2024.

Some drone releases wishfull dreams. Every1 gets hyped.
Nintondo releases 40% weaker machine.

Evry1 quickly forgets it. Its all about mario. Juat like we did 30 years ago. Who cares.

That rumored machine s not hapening for 399. And with mobile batery.

And more interesting s how will N deal with hd development. I assume drones re not going to accept 720p, 20 fps, no voice acting, reading walls of text, textures from 2014 in 2025?

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
It's a lot more performant than many want to give it credit for.

120 GB/s LPDDR5, DLSS 3.1/3.2, somewhere between PS4 Pro and Series S in Docked Mode, 12 GB of RAM. I think it'll do pretty well with 3P ports even if some will require particular optimizations.

I also expect there'll be a lot more 3P support out of the gate for this one.

No that's too conservative IMHO. If you look at Nintendo's history, even if just modern history, they've always aimed for their off-cycle system to be roughly on par with what the immediate last generation provided. At least, they they're coming off a relatively successful gen hardware-wise. The Wii U was a bomb and Nvidia's mobile GPU tech wasn't great at the time, so Nintendo had to take what they could get.

The Switch has been a massive success, and last gen not only saw the PS4 & XBO, but the PS4 Pro and One X. So Nintendo would have been looking at both of those for what to target for a Switch 2, not just the base consoles. You also can't underestimate what DLSS brings to the table, and whatever customizations have been added (like Sony, Nintendo aren't shy about using customizations in their hardware designs).

Considering this is a system that'll have to see things through to at least the end of the decade, and knowing Nintendo would be aware of future PC handhelds to come, there's no reason they'd only aim for base PS4 performance. I say base PS4 in handheld mode, somewhere close to Series S when docked. Also, if Sony/SIE are indeed considering their own portable companion for PS6, we should want the Switch 2 to hit around Series S when docked because otherwise that won't spell good news for a PS6 handheld performance-wise, IMO.

What exactly is unbelievable about these Switch 2 specs for a device launching in early 2025 for a mass market? Switch 2 could probably definitely runs VII Remake at 4K60 albeit reconstructed 4K with DLSS 3.1 or 3.2.

Remember, Remake came out and was designed around the base PS4 (and PS4 Pro). Both systems the Switch 2 seems to be performing roughly equal to but with modern GPU & CPU features. Y'all gotta stop underestimating Nintendo on this kind of stuff 😂

With all due respect, you need to stop overestimating Nintendo.

Many of us weren’t born yesterday.

Nintendo hasn’t released a powerhouse console this century.

Close to Series S when docked?

What a load of horseshit.

The most powerful handheld costing 1000 dollars doesn’t beat the 4TF Potato S.

Unless Nintendo wants to sell at a loss or charge extortionate prices it is not happening.

At best it will be Steamdeck performance with DLSS. Which is barely base PS4 level. Handheld or docked.

Reactions: Systemshock2023