Switch 2 rumor |OT| launch at $400. |UP| Successor to switch will be announced at end of fiscal year.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
A sequel would be much preferred but a remaster gets another 100+ hours from me too. That game single handily made the Wii U worth it for me. Was my fav JRPG OAT until Rebirth hit.
I need to try Xeno.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Huh?
They dominate Japan.
Yes with their first party IPs. They claim Japanese software (3rd Party) sells better on Switch, sbd that's not correct. For example the preorders for YS X: Nordics where higher on PS5 at big Retailers in Japan. 3rd Party Japanese games sell as good on PS as Switch, sometimes even better.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
Yes with their first party IPs. They claim Japanese software (3rd Party) sells better on Switch, sbd that's not correct. For example the preorders for YS X: Nordics where higher on PS5 at big Retailers in Japan. 3rd Party Japanese games sell as good on PS as Switch, sometimes even better.
You said Nintendo and Japan weren't the place for AAA games.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
You said Nintendo and Japan weren't the place for AAA games.
Read my post agai, I did write somethingcompletelydifferent. AAA Japanese games are not traditionally home on Nintendo systems. DQ is the only exception which do perform well. Japanese AAA never sold well on Switch. YS is was an example, that's not AAA.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
Read my post agai, I did write somethingcompletelydifferent. AAA Japanese games are not traditionally home on Nintendo systems. DQ is the only exception which do perform well. Japanese AAA never sold well on Switch. YS is was an example, that's not AAA.
Nintendo alone only spits out AAA games.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Nintendo alone only spits out AAA games.
The only Nintendo game released on Switch that may qualify as AAA is Zelda BotW/ToT. Regarding Japanese 3rd parties, I'd say maybe MH Rise.

The rest are basically AA and small/indie games.

As a reference, Mario Odyssey has 280 people in proffesional credits + 61 under thanks. Nowadays AAA games have like 10 times that, or even way more.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
The only Nintendo game released on Switch that may qualify as AAA is Zelda BotW/ToT. Regarding Japanese 3rd parties, I'd say maybe MH Rise.

The rest are basically AA and small/indie games.

As a reference, Mario Odyssey has 280 people in proffesional credits + 61 under thanks. Nowadays AAA games have like 10 times that, or even way more.
Xenoblade games
Metroid games
Mario games
I know I am missing some.

• haha
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
People in professional roles in their game credits according to Moby Games:
  • Monster Hunter Rise: 1,108
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 1,034
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3: 1,016
  • Mario Wonder: 399
  • Mario Odyssey: 280
  • Metroid Dread: 217
I'd say they are far from titles like Diablo IV, Skull & Bones, Far Cry 6 or Fortnie but these Xenoblade Chronicles games qualify for AAA size budget, yes.

Last edited:

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
People in professional roles in their game credits according to Moby Games:
  • Monster Hunter Rise: 1,108
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 1,034
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3: 1,016
  • Mario Wonder: 399
  • Mario Odyssey: 280
  • Metroid Dread: 217
I'd say they are far from titles like Diablo IV, Skull & Bones, Far Cry 6 or Fortnie but these Xenoblade Chronicles games qualify for AAA size budget, yes.
Those 3rd party examples minus D4 don't meet the critic criteria of a AAA game.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
AAA is more what a budget is.
That's what I said.

Budget and manpower usually define AAA. Budget being number 1 factor which points to its high quality or should.

"a casual classification for video games that are produced or distributed by well-known publishers and have high budgets for development and marketing"

It's always been classified as such.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Nintendo games are polished for the most llpart but AAA games on PS, Xbox and PC are held to a higher standard.

Nintendo is the WNBA of gaming. Just look at the reviews. They all praise the games because iof looking "well enough" for a Nintendo console. And you can have as much "Nintendo magic" as you like (questionable) but if your game runs at 640x480 20 fps stretched on a big ass TV it's unacceptable.

If PS shifted it's pipeline to release Nintendo like games, fans would be mad. A game like recore would be a highlight on Nintendo if it were an exclusive.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Nintendo games are polished for the most llpart but AAA games on PS, Xbox and PC are held to a higher standard.

Nintendo is the WNBA of gaming. Just look at the reviews. They all praise the games because iof looking "well enough" for a Nintendo console. And you can have as much "Nintendo magic" as you like (questionable) but if your game runs at 640x480 20 fps stretched on a big ass TV it's unacceptable.

If PS shifted it's pipeline to release Nintendo like games, fans would be mad. A game like recore would be a highlight on Nintendo if it were an exclusive.
Yes, I would probably stop gaming. I only bought a Switch bcus I wanted to be surprised but I wasn't and my switch has caught dust since three weeks after I bought it :(

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Those 3rd party examples minus D4 don't meet the critic criteria of a AAA game.
AAA refers to the size of the budget (which indirectly implies big team), not sales or critical reception.

Means "very big budget", like "super-production" (not sure if also applies for English) for movies.

The examples I mentioned are some of the games with the biggest amount of workers, so pretty likely also the games with the highest budgets. They are so high that sometimes they are also mentioned as AAAA, like a step beyond AAA.

There aren't precise numbers or definitions, but:

AAA normally is applied to games with aprox. above around 1000 people or budgets of above $100M aprox. The average AAA nowadays has 2000-3000 people in their staff.

AA is normally applied to games that range from a handful dozen people to some hundred people.

"Low budget game" or "indies" are normally applied to games made by maximum around a handful dozen people. Even if indie means "independent" meaning, not made / published / funded by a major publisher, so a AA title could be indie too.

Last edited:

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
AAA refers to the size of the budget (which indirectly implies big team), not sales or critical reception.

Means "very big budget", like "super-production" (not sure if also applies for English) for movies.

The examples I mentioned are some of the games with the biggest amount of workers, so pretty likely also the games with the highest budgets. They are so high that sometimes they are also mentioned as AAAA, like a step beyond AAA.

There aren't precise numbers or definitions, but:

AAA normally is applied to games with aprox. above around 1000 people or budgets of above $100M aprox. The average AAA nowadays has 2000-3000 people in their staff.

AA is normally applied to games that range from a handful dozen people to some hundred people.

"Low budget game" or "indies" are normally applied to games made by maximum around a handful dozen people. Even if indie means "independent" meaning, not made / published / funded by a major publisher, so a AA title could be indie too.
That's one factor but in its origins AAA things were also called Blockbusters as part of the reason was how they fared with critics.

Many shitty games have big budgets.
I will never refer to them as AAA.