Switch 2 will "be hybrid again" launch at $400. 8 inch LCD. use Nvidia chip & be BC. Nikkei says releases March 2025.Dev kit update.|UP| 4/26/24

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Update 4/26

Even though there hasn't been an official announcement from Nintendo themselves, we've been hearing rumors and leaks for a long time about Switch 2, the upcoming successor to the Nintendo Switch. Speculation grew at the end of last year, when Gamescom attendees claimed to have seen the new Nintendo console behind closed doors.

Today at Vandal we can share some exclusive details about the upcoming hardware from the Japanese company after hearing non-official information from manufactures that have had a first contact with Switch 2. Our colleague Rubén Mercado has been the one that has had access to these exclusive details during an accessory manufacturer fair, the same way it happened during the pre-launch period of Nintendo Switch OLED.

Some manufacturers have been able to "touch" the new Nintendo console, without the possibility of actually seeing it to avoid leaks. There are no concrete dates for its release, but they all agree that it won't release this year, even though the console is ready. This is just a strategic decision to have a better lineup, and they expect this Christmas period to be the last one for Switch, and Switch 2 to release Early 2025.

The information we've managed to get says the console is a bit bigger than the current Switch models, but still smaller than a Steam Deck. Another change is on the joy-con side, which will trade their current attachment system using rails for a magnetic system.

As of right now we don't have information on the specs of the console itself, but what we can confirm is that the current Pro Controller will be forwards compatible with Switch 2. However, it's possible that the current joycons won't be, whether for the change on how they attach to the console or if they have new functionalities.
Key points:

• Accessory manufacturers have been able to touch the console but not see it (i.e. the console was inside of a black box, so they could touch it but not see how it actually looks)
  • Every manufacturer agrees the console won't release this year and will release Early 2025.
  • A bit bigger than the current Switch models but nowhere close to the Steam Deck's size.
  • Joy-cons will change their attachment system from rails to a magnetic system, and the current ones won't be forwards compatible.
  • The current Pro Controller will work on Switch 2.
Report via Vandal

Update 4/22

The Nintendo Switch 2 may use Samsung 5th generation V-NAND, which would be a huge step up from its predecessor, judging from some recent findings.

As reported by Doctre81 in a new video shared on YouTube, the LinkedIn page of a former Samsung Electronics Device Solution Division Senior Director who's been at the company until 2019 lists among key qualifications and responsibilities having led the development of a NAND Flash Controller device for an unspecified Nintendo game card. Among the key achievements, the former Samsung employee also lists the development of Secure eMMC Card powered by Samsung Memory's 5th generation V-NAND Flash, which seems to line up not only with the NAND Flash Controller device for the unspecified Nintendo game card but also with some other information, such as innovating security for unspecified proprietary hardware and designing a new PUF IP (Physical Unclonable Function).
The Nintendo Switch 2 requiring faster read speeds than its predecessor isn't exactly surprising, but Nintendo using Samsung 5th Generation V-NAND is still great news, even though it is, by today's standards, somewhat dated tech, as Samsung is working on 9th and 10th generations V-NAND, with the latter planned to be released in 2025. Still, the up to 1.4 GB/s speeds featured by the 5th generation should be more than enough for the new console, and a major step up from its predecessor.

Very little is known about the Nintendo Switch 2, other than the fact that it will be powered once again by NVIDIA technology. The T239 chip will be a massive step up over the Tegra X1 chip powering the current Nintendo system, as it is said to support features such as NVIDIA DLSS upscaling and Ray Reconstruction that is will likely make it the best ray tracing capable gaming system on the market.

Source: https://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-2-samsung-v-nand/

Update 3/22/24

Leaker Nash Weedle has confirmation from a developer about a Switch 2 dev kit update

The developer told Weedle that the update now allows them to "go one step further". It is speculated that this is referencing an update to DLSS upscaling for the Switch 2 dev kit. This is just after NateTheHate heard that Nintendo was asking developers for footage/images of their "Switch 2" games.

https://twitter.com/NWeedle/status/1770926164023885950

1711101894643.png

Update 2/29/24 zubitech rumors

That’s according to Dr. Serkan Toto, CEO of Tokyo-based game industry consultancy Kantan Games, who contributed his forecast for 2024 in GamesIndustry.biz’s annual analysts predictions feature.

Although the company is yet to comment publicly, Nintendo’s next-generation console is widely expected to launch this year, after VGC reported that development kits are in the hands of developers as the platform holder prepares its plans.

According to Kantan Games’ Toto, the console could launch at $400 – $100 higher than the Switch launched at – and there’s a chance its games could adopt the $70 pricing of PS5 and Xbox Series X.

“The time is finally here for a Switch successor, even though I can say a ‘Pro’ model actually did exist and certain developers were already working with the dev kit,” Toto wrote. “I believe the next hardware will drop [in 2024] for $400. There is a high chance that games will cost more, too: $70.”

According to the industry consultant, Nintendo’s next console will again have portable functionality, as VGC reported last year.

“The next system is also likely to be an iteration rather than a revolution. Nintendo might add some bells and whistles to the device, but it will be similar to the current Switch.

“And because there is Pokémon, and Pokémon is associated with handheld gaming, there is no way on earth Nintendo will drop the portability feature for their next big thing.”

*credit thigh thighs GAF thread

Update 2/11/24 Nvidia chip bring used..

Nintendo‘s next console will reportedly feature a custom Nvidia chip when it launches later this year.

That’s according to Reuters, which is reporting that the Japanese console giant will implement a custom Nvidia chip to power the new console.

According to a source with knowledge of Nvidia’s plans,

“Nintendo’s current Switch handheld console already includes Nvidia’s Tegra X1 chip.”

It continues:

“A new version of the Nintendo Switch console expected this year is likely to include a Nvidia custom design”.

Also NateTheHate says:

EKp2LFj.png

"Back-compat is present to partners & testing is underway.

The major unknown seems to be the extent any such enhancements may provide."

Update 🧂🧂🧂

GGdr-xnW4AAGMF9
Journalist @/phluttilippe says he had 5 sources from 3 contintents tell him Switch 2 was within the first 3 months of 2025 and some sources suggest the launch had been delayed.

Source

Tweet

tR8hG7DyrKphyBC3SH_vy-transformed.jpg

Brazillian journalist PH Brazil who was the first to break the news on the Switch 2 delay says Nintendo is planning a direct for April ( unsure on if it's a mini ) and a indie world in March. Also believes the Switch 2 will be revealed in June.

Source

Last edited:
  • angry
Reactions: Deleted member 1154
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
As usual, Nintendo demands current gen prices while offering services at least a generation behind. I swear to god, Nintendo are going to show a degraded version of Cyberpunk and people are going to believe it's a current gen console.

Sub Steam Deck
My biggest gripe with them but if you speak about tht your automatically labeled a hater or troll. I get they do their own thing but the lack of advancement in their tech and the regurgitation of certain ips like Mario Kart 100000 really gets to me.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I read the original article and his interpretation of the word "iteration" just means he thinks it will be a hybrid and, yeah, show me the person who doesn't think that.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023

That’s according to Dr. Serkan Toto, CEO of Tokyo-based game industry consultancy Kantan Games, who contributed his forecast for 2024 in GamesIndustry.biz’s annual analysts predictions feature.

Although the company is yet to comment publicly, Nintendo’s next-generation console is widely expected to launch this year, after VGC reported that development kits are in the hands of developers as the platform holder prepares its plans.

According to Kantan Games’ Toto, the console could launch at $400 – $100 higher than the Switch launched at – and there’s a chance its games could adopt the $70 pricing of PS5 and Xbox Series X.

“The time is finally here for a Switch successor, even though I can say a ‘Pro’ model actually did exist and certain developers were already working with the dev kit,” Toto wrote. “I believe the next hardware will drop [in 2024] for $400. There is a high chance that games will cost more, too: $70.”

According to the industry consultant, Nintendo’s next console will again have portable functionality, as VGC reported last year.

“The next system is also likely to be an iteration rather than a revolution. Nintendo might add some bells and whistles to the device, but it will be similar to the current Switch.

“And because there is Pokémon, and Pokémon is associated with handheld gaming, there is no way on earth Nintendo will drop the portability feature for their next big thing.”

*credit thigh thighs GAF thread

Why this toto guy is still so salty about no Switch Pro version happening by mentioning about it 🤣🤣🤣. Switch Pro is not happening, deal with it. Next time we're jumping directly to Switch 2, get over it 🤣.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
My biggest gripe with them but if you speak about tht your automatically labeled a hater or troll. I get they do their own thing but the lack of advancement in their tech and the regurgitation of certain ips like Mario Kart 100000 really gets to me.
On the software end, the problem is Miyamoto. He's the circa 1988 Tom Landry of the gaming world.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
If it's not broke don't fix it and we all know Nintendo won't mess up something tht has been working for them hence Mario Kart 1,0000.
I think that comes down to Miyamoto's ego. He has final say on all Nintendo software, no doubt he has canned some things that would have been good.

Reading interviews with the guys from Argonaut, and talking to one of the Tetrisphere devs about dealing with Nintendo, he seems very insecure and rides his reputation to stifle others because the game has passed him by years ago but he still sees himself as the greatest.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I love how much this company makes people seethe.

It’s fun simply owning a Nintendo. It’s a factor no other platform has been able to replicate hence why they sell so much despite having the lesser hardware.

Reactions: Zzero

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Also I don't care how loved their games are by some, $70 for low-budget games developed by 50 people is a joke.
They have released one non-peripheral dependent game at 70 dollars, ever, and it was far from "a low budget game developed by 50 people."

Not to mention that, like most Japanese companies they do heavy outsourcing to ghost companies on most "EPD" games and have done so since the times of arcade Donkey Kong.

Reactions: BroodCorp

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
For me, the classic Nintendo era ended with N64. Switch is the first pretty good Nintendo hardware since 1996, but their game development as a whole is still stuck in the past.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Their arrogance in refusing to discount older titles is nauseating. Why should a 7-year old game still be full price?
Because people still buy it. Maybe other companies should design fewer games that people immediately resell after the first playthrough.

In theory their games should resell at heavy discount since a higher percentage of their sales are physical. But they don't because people love the superior experience that Nintendo's first party offerings usually provide.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Also I don't care how loved their games are by some, $70 for low-budget games developed by 50 people is a joke.
Yeah, I don't see an issue with a low budget as long as the game is good, but Nintendo are the only ones that the gaming community and media as a whole allow to get away with that. If Sony started making games with the same budget as Nintendo, they would be raked over the coals.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yeah, I don't see an issue with a low budget as long as the game is good, but Nintendo are the only ones that the gaming community and media as a whole allow to get away with that. If Sony started making games with the same budget as Nintendo, they would be raked over the coals.
Look at how Returnal was vilified for being full price.