Tekken 8 players divided as devs add “Tekken Shop” with microtransactions |UP| Tekken 8 players have reacted with anger at mtx.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1708181085341.png

In the modern era of gaming, microtransaction shops are common even in full-price releases. This is especially true of games like Tekken 8 that plan to release new content for years to come and have to be able to support those development costs.

According to an in-game message Tekken 8 players received upon logging in, the new “Tekken Shop” feature is getting added to the game. And, while some were optimistic that it’d be a new shop that uses the in-game Fight Money, the ESRB rating getting updated to say the game has “In-Game Purchases” killed that theory.

That said, the response has been mixed, with some excited to see what might be on offer. Fans of Tekken 8 seem willing to dish some extra money for skins as long as the price is right.

Tekken 8 devs confirm post-launch microtransations​

Tekken 8 top 5 best characters for beginners
BANDAI NAMCO
Tekken 8 certainly wouldn’t be the first of the modern fighting games to get in on a more modern business model when it comes to microtransactions; both Street Fighter 6 and Mortal Kombat 1 have a number of cosmetic items available for purchase with real money.

However, the pricing of these microtransactions hasn’t gone over well for either game. Between Street Fighter 6’s full collection of alternate costumes for base characters costing more than $100 and Mortal Kombat 1 selling Fatalities for more than $10, it’s easy to see why.

These prices aren’t all that outlandish when compared to something like Apex Legends or Call of Duty, but fighting game fans aren’t having it. This leaves us with the announcement that Tekken 8 will be introducing microtransactions via the Tekken Shop.

Updated 2/29/24

Tekken 8 players have reacted with anger at the addition of microtransactions to the game, via a premium currency.

Bandai Namco had previously told players that a mode called Tekken Shop would be coming to the game, and that it would contain cosmetic items like character costumes and avatar skins.

It also stated that costumes would cost 400 Tekken Coins, and that this would amount to around $4.

However, the game’s new version 1.02.01 patch has just rolled out, adding the Tekken Shop, and players are unhappy that – as with numerous other games which use a premium currency – Tekken Coins can only be bought in bundles.

As such, anyone wishing to buy a costume for 400 Tekken Coins would have to buy a bundle of 500 Coins for $5, leaving them with 100 Coins remaining.

The shop has launched with eight costumes, at a total price of 3200 Coins. The cheapest way to buy them all is to buy a 3210 Coin bundle costing $29.99.

In a lengthy tweet posted on X last week, Tekken director Katsuhiro Harada replied to a follower complaining about the use of microtransactions, by saying they were necessary to keep the game alive.

via VGC

Last edited:

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
That killed any interest I had in the game lol. Besides that who even buys this crap? Like I'm essentially just paying money to make my character look like a toaster or something lol. Idk I might just be out of the loop on this.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
That killed any interest I had in the game lol. Besides that who even buys this crap? Like I'm essentially just paying money to make my character look like a toaster or something lol. Idk I might just be out of the loop on this.
LOL like a "toaster"

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
I mean as much as everyone hates micro transactions myself included how else are they supposed to pay for the servers without forcing a subscription on every player? People need to just stop complaining and either support it or don't.
The devs aren't going to always do what the community wants.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
We'll see how it shakes out. Their in game customization is total garbage (hey Namco look at Soul Calibur) and I I would potentially buy a costume or two if they are well designed.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
tekken-8-pic7-1440x810.jpg

Tekken 8 players have reacted with anger at the addition of microtransactions to the game, via a premium currency.

Bandai Namco had previously told players that a mode called Tekken Shop would be coming to the game, and that it would contain cosmetic items like character costumes and avatar skins.

It also stated that costumes would cost 400 Tekken Coins, and that this would amount to around $4.

However, the game’s new version 1.02.01 patch has just rolled out, adding the Tekken Shop, and players are unhappy that – as with numerous other games which use a premium currency – Tekken Coins can only be bought in bundles.

As such, anyone wishing to buy a costume for 400 Tekken Coins would have to buy a bundle of 500 Coins for $5, leaving them with 100 Coins remaining.

The shop has launched with eight costumes, at a total price of 3200 Coins. The cheapest way to buy them all is to buy a 3210 Coin bundle costing $29.99.

In a lengthy tweet posted on X last week, Tekken director Katsuhiro Harada replied to a follower complaining about the use of microtransactions, by saying they were necessary to keep the game alive.

via VGC

Last edited by a moderator:
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
View attachment 4256

In the modern era of gaming, microtransaction shops are common even in full-price releases. This is especially true of games like Tekken 8 that plan to release new content for years to come and have to be able to support those development costs.

According to an in-game message Tekken 8 players received upon logging in, the new “Tekken Shop” feature is getting added to the game. And, while some were optimistic that it’d be a new shop that uses the in-game Fight Money, the ESRB rating getting updated to say the game has “In-Game Purchases” killed that theory.

That said, the response has been mixed, with some excited to see what might be on offer. Fans of Tekken 8 seem willing to dish some extra money for skins as long as the price is right.

Tekken 8 devs confirm post-launch microtransations​

Tekken 8 top 5 best characters for beginners
BANDAI NAMCO
Tekken 8 certainly wouldn’t be the first of the modern fighting games to get in on a more modern business model when it comes to microtransactions; both Street Fighter 6 and Mortal Kombat 1 have a number of cosmetic items available for purchase with real money.

However, the pricing of these microtransactions hasn’t gone over well for either game. Between Street Fighter 6’s full collection of alternate costumes for base characters costing more than $100 and Mortal Kombat 1 selling Fatalities for more than $10, it’s easy to see why.

These prices aren’t all that outlandish when compared to something like Apex Legends or Call of Duty, but fighting game fans aren’t having it. This leaves us with the announcement that Tekken 8 will be introducing microtransactions via the Tekken Shop.

Updated 2/29/24

via VGC

How about putting them in at release so the reviews can reflect the product accurately

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
I think this is the dumbest thing ever. Everyone just makes their character like Spongebob, who wants defaults???