The $70 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LED

Twitter Legend
26 Jun 2022
OK just wanted to start a small discussion thread about the price of $70 games especially those that are cross-gen.

I’ll start with my opinion: I have a PS5, but why would I have to pay $70 for GOW Ragnarok when PS4 users can only pay $60? When I have the stronger hardware why do I get taxed for using those features that my hardware can muster? Also the PS4 version (as Jason Schreier said) is having so many problems running the game so most development efforts went into the PS4 version, that makes the PS5 version even more undeserving of $70. By the way I am going to buy it day 1 ofc, it’s God of War.

Look for example Elden Ring from publisher Bandai Namco, the game is cross-gen, both PS4/PS5 versions are priced at $60, PS5 version has better graphics, runs better, much faster load times etc…, but a Sony game or an Activision game are at $70?

Here’s another example: PC players who have low-end PCs, they can play the same games as those with high-end PCs, one plays at lower FPS with low-mid settings, the other plays at maximum settings with Ray Tracing and all that, all of them pay the same price, which is at $60 MSRP, they’re the same games in the end with different graphical assets/lighting options.

Why do console players have to pay that extra $10 to use their features when PCs from all specs spectrums pay the same price?

Replies are gonna be interesting, I want your opinions especially @Bryank75 and @rofif 😍😍

OP
OP
LED

LED

Twitter Legend
26 Jun 2022
Also I made this thread to kinda keep this forum alive, to support it in a way and I’m in interested in y’all’s replies.

• thisistheway
Reactions: rofif and Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
OK just wanted to start a small discussion thread about the price of $70 games especially those that are cross-gen.

I’ll start with my opinion: I have a PS5, but why would I have to pay $70 for GOW Ragnarok when PS4 users can only pay $60? When I have the stronger hardware why do I get taxed for using those features that my hardware can muster? Also the PS4 version (as Jason Schreier said) is having so many problems running the game so most development efforts went into the PS4 version, that makes the PS5 version even more undeserving of $70. By the way I am going to buy it day 1 ofc, it’s God of War.

Look for example Elden Ring from publisher Bandai Namco, the game is cross-gen, both PS4/PS5 versions are priced at $60, PS5 version has better graphics, runs better, much faster load times etc…, but a Sony game or an Activision game are at $70?

Here’s another example: PC players who have low-end PCs, they can play the same games as those with high-end PCs, one plays at lower FPS with low-mid settings, the other plays at maximum settings with Ray Tracing and all that, all of them pay the same price, which is at $60 MSRP, they’re the same games in the end with different graphical assets/lighting options.

Why do console players have to pay that extra $10 to use their features when PCs from all specs spectrums pay the same price?

Replies are gonna be interesting, I want your opinions especially @Bryank75 and @rofif 😍😍

Hey Bro, yeah.... I mean 70 dollars is fine IMO.... my issue is here in europe where we pay 80 euro for the basic version of the game.
If it was 70 euro, I wouldn't really complain.

I recently saw F1 2022 for 60 euro on PC and 80 euro for the same version on PS5. It's the exact same game!!!! I just do not understand it...
Plus we pay for online on top of all that.

I used to buy EVERY exclusive day 1 or as soon as possible but I have now skipped or delayed many exclusives, I didn't buy any of the Bethesda exclusives for PS5, I didn't buy Returnal and I probably won't get TLOU Part 1 on release either....

Only GOWR is a 100% day 1.

I don't see how this benefits PlayStation, especially with Steam / PC offering better prices all round and PS exclusives eventually going there and so feeling less unique, special and valuable to be worth the extra asking price.

SO it's definitely something I feel strongly about.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
The reason is simple, they do it because they can get away with it.

They know that the PS5 audience has a bigger drive to buy games than the people that are still on the PS4 and a $10 tax won't stop them from doing so. They also want to set the $70 as the new standard for this gen.

It makes me happy when there is a game that exists that I want to spend $60 or $70 on, in fact I can't wait for more of them. Most games ain't worth my time or money regardless of the price.

Another reason why I'm not bothered by it is that games drop in price really fast, with very few exceptions (Nintendo games for example). If I'm willing to spend $40 on a game but not $70, fine, it will be available for that price soon enough.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Here's an idea.....dont buy it at launch.

But also, I understand that it feels like just owning PS5 you pay more for a PS5 version. I think its more or less they dont want to piss off PS4 customers. PS5 customers are already paying more for the console, and understand its a premium experience.

I wish it were $60 still I honestly do. But also I dont buy a ton of games at full price. I literally bought Kena couple months back for $23. Returnal goes on sale a good amount same with Demons Souls remake.

And now they are available via the service. If people had made a big stink, Playstation may had reverse its prices. But $70 games is not new. Go back a couple gens.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: LED
D

Deleted member 13

This is a very very interesting take on the game pricing. I simply have to agree with 100% of it. You stated the reason why they are doing it and that can't be debated. The question is, is that good business practice? I would say no. I understand their logic with keeping games at a lower price for lower end hardware because those people probably can't afford the higher end hardware. BUT I think it's wrong. If a game is going to be $70 it should be $70 across the board.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This is a very very interesting take on the game pricing. I simply have to agree with 100% of it. You stated the reason why they are doing it and that can't be debated. The question is, is that good business practice? I would say no. I understand their logic with keeping games at a lower price for lower end hardware because those people probably can't afford the higher end hardware. BUT I think it's wrong. If a game is going to be $70 it should be $70 across the board.

This is no different than how Nintendo went from $49.99 games to $59.99. Different generational hardware, different prices. Playstations issue is they dont want to wall off those 117 Million PS4's.

Thats the biggest difference. Wii and Wii U had some cross over for titles, but Wii U titles were $59.99.

This is no different, I think the key difference is Playstation had no cut off, they wanted to serve both new and existing customers. And this is the backlash you get when you try to do this.

D

Deleted member 13

This is no different than how Nintendo went from $49.99 games to $59.99. Different generational hardware, different prices. Playstations issue is they dont want to wall off those 117 Million PS4's.

Thats the biggest difference. Wii and Wii U had some cross over for titles, but Wii U titles were $59.99.

This is no different, I think the key difference is Playstation had no cut off, they wanted to serve both new and existing customers. And this is the backlash you get when you try to do this.
To add to that, it's probably up to the developers on how they price their games. Only a small amount of games go for $70 for all new platforms (like COD, FF7 Remake). Or is the final decision based on Sony/MS corporate? COD/FF7 doesn't care about hardware for the PC world. No matter your hardware, it'll be $70 across the board. So there are some inconsistencies here.

Reactions: Rivet

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I don't agree with the price increase. Sure game development costs more and you have to add inflation, but games sell mostly digital nowadays. Publishers especially Sony gets that full $70 in their pocket. In the past they would usually sacrifice $30 out of it for physical.

• they're_right_you_know
  • brain
Reactions: Hobbygaming and LED

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
New ps5 games used to be 90usd/80eur here(what I pay including vat) but polish PLN lost it's value. So now, even though the price is the same, games come up to exactly 70usd.
It's a lot of money but I am absolutely fine with paying 70$ for a premium, single player game. But GAAS? gtfo.
The only part I am not exactly fine with is just like you say - 60 on ps4 and 70 on ps5... why? Makes you feel like an idiot for playing on ps5.
But that is coming to an end soon together with cross-gen..

It's still hard to justify 70$ on any other game when Elden Ring was standard 60 but OK, 70 is fine as long as the quality is there.
With Horizon FW, I got ps5 version just because I wanted a "ps5 box" and ps5 game on the disc. That's why I buy games on discs!
With Returnal, I was not sure on the game and got it moth later for 40 new. Great deal for that game!

Just btw - I don't want to come up as some rich asshole. I am kinda poor AF compared to you modern western guys lol.

edit: One mor thing - 70$ might also be a tactic to push people into PS Extra/Premium... which... oh man, I don't want physical to die.

Rivet

25 Jun 2022
I understand why they try raising prices, but I think it's the wrong move on the long run. They risk alienating their fan base.

Game budgets can't balloon indefinitely while they hope gamers will find the money to fund them. They must keep the budget in check. Average Joe doesn't get richer these days.

Now remember for people in Europe, you don't have to pay those prices. For example, you can use a US PSN account with a fake address in Portland and buy all your games cheaper with that account, then play with your main PSN EU account on the same console. It's pretty easy to do.

It used to be extremely profitable, it is a bit less so now that 1 euro is basically worth only 1 usd. I guess you could do the same with even cheaper countries.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75 and LED

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
I understand why they try raising prices, but I think it's the wrong move on the long run. They risk alienating their fan base.

Game budgets can't balloon indefinitely while they hope gamers will find the money to fund them. They must keep the budget in check. Average Joe doesn't get richer these days.

Now remember for people in Europe, you don't have to pay those prices. For example, you can use a US PSN account with a fake address in Portland and buy all your games cheaper with that account, then play with your main PSN EU account on the same console. It's pretty easy to do.

It used to be extremely profitable, it is a bit less so now that 1 euro is basically worth only 1 usd. I guess you could do the same with even cheaper countries.
Budget got nothing to do with it. Game price was never based on budget.

Also, if you are worried about saving money digital is the worst option. The cheapest way to play is to buy used and then resell it. As long as physical games exist nothing will beat their value if you are trying to get the most out of your $ while still choosing the games you want to play.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: LED

Rivet

25 Jun 2022
Budget got nothing to do with it. Game price was never based on budget.

That's the reason they give in the interviews. Increasing game costs... And mathematically it's true if your game costs $100 million instead of $50 million, the customer is the one paying the difference, or your profit drops...

And it's true game costs are increasing, look at GTA5, God of War 2018,The Last if US 2... These games cost more than the ones of the past.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
That's the reason they give in the interviews. Increasing game costs... And mathematically it's true if your game costs $100 million instead of $50 million, the customer is the one paying the difference, or your profit drops...
That reason is a lie, they don't give a proportional discount to games based on budget, nor do they charge more for games that cost more to make like RDR2 or TLoU2. They only put a lower price if they think it isn't going to sell well with the standard $60 (now $70) price.

Do you get a discount when you go to the movies to watch an indie film? I don't, costs the same as the biggest blockbuster.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Rivet

25 Jun 2022
That reason is a lie, they don't give a proportional discount to games based on budget, nor do they charge more for games that cost more to make like RDR2 or TLoU2. They only put a lower price if they think it isn't going to sell well with the standard $60 (now $70) price.
There are other factors for sure, but game costs must be ultimately paid by the customers, like in any business...

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
There are other factors for sure, but game costs must be ultimately paid by the customers, like in any business...
So how much is GTA6 going to cost $350? Nope, it's going to make it's money back by selling a ridiculous high number of copies, assuming it will work out for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.