The $70 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodMod

Fear the Old Blood
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I don't personally think most games are worth $70, therefore I wait until their price drops to what I think each game is worth before buying them.

It is rare for me to actually buy a game day one, and have not yet bought a single PS5 game for $70 or more.

Market will ultimately dictate to publishers how to price their products appropriately

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sackboy was $59 and Spider-man was $49 if I'm not mistaken.

Miles had a lot of the stuff already built dev wise, so dev time was shorter and Insomniac is super efficient Sumo is not as efficient and is across the pond. Also longer dev time.

There are many factors that go in. Dev time/Team size/Logistics of studio/contract price for rate. All that. SACKBOY had online netcode/co-op multiplayer. So I assume dev time for that was longer. Systems had to be built by scratch. Sumo used their own tools and engine they themselves developer.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Miles had a lot of the stuff already built dev wise, so dev time was shorter and Insomniac is super efficient Sumo is not as efficient and is across the pond. Also longer dev time.

There are many factors that go in. Dev time/Team size/Logistics of studio/contract price for rate. All that. SACKBOY had online netcode/co-op multiplayer. So I assume dev time for that was longer. Systems had to be built by scratch. Sumo used their own tools and engine they themselves developer.
The big factor is: "how much can we price this game to maximize our profits?"

How much you spent on the game only matter to the extent that it shows on the product.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The big factor is: "how much can we price this game to maximize our profits?"

How much you spent on the game only matter to the extent that it shows on the product.

Why does it cost more to go to the movies?

Would you say movies now cost less or more to make?
Why did Microsoft throw money away with buying a publisher? Why is a lot of what they do subsidized?

To mitigate what it costs to operate such a huge endeavor.
Game budgets on Microsofts side are offset that they are subsidized because they are put on a subscription that continues to show growth. More people sub the more the spending of budgets gets offset. If you see growth in a sector, more people invest, when more people invest that means more money to be added which offsets costs of spending on budgets.
Sony is not Microsoft where they can write off years of losses because the rest of the company is still growing in Enterprise sector.

Go re-read what I posted I feel like you are not getting it. It's like you dont believe what Shawn was saying about budgets/game prices staying stagnate for a long time ect.

Last edited:

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Why does it cost more to go to the movies?

Would you say movies now cost less or more to make?
Depends on the movie, like I said before you pay the same thing to see a massive Hollywood blockbuster that you pay to watch some indie movies that was filmed in a week.

The more expensive movies (if they succeed) make their money back by appealing to more people and selling more tickets, that is sort of how it is with games (but the price is a little more flexible, if you think you won't be able to attract enough people charging $70 you can go lower).

Reactions: Deleted member 13

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Disney has been cutting corners on CGI lately, I would argue.

True but sets, talent all are at a all time high. Budgets are still 150Million or more.

Depends on the movie, like I said before you pay the same thing to see a massive Hollywood blockbuster that you pay to watch some indie movies that was filmed in a week.

The more expensive movies (if they succeed) make their money back by appealing to more people and selling more tickets, that is sort of how it is with games (but the price is a little more flexible, if you think you won't be able to attract enough people charging $70 you can go lower).

Not all movies cost full price? They have matinee's, indie films a lot of the time are cheaper at large venues because there are not as many time slots, and its only going to be there for a limited time.

Seriously i feel like im talking to a wall that doesn't want to listen to a previous president of the said company who charges $70 for most of their "internally produced titels?

Sharinghack

21 Jun 2022
Lisbon, Portugal
www.pushvfx.com
Well, I grew up with games costing way over 100$.

On Sega Genesis the average price was 85$ and some games like Virtua Racing cost over 120$.

SNES games were even more expensive. And back then the games cost to make was just a tiny tiny fraction of what they cost today.

So yes, 70$ is fair in my book, at least if you want games without MTX.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Well, I grew up with games costing way over 100$.

On Sega Genesis the average price was 85$ and some games like Virtua Racing cost over 120$.

SNES games were even more expensive. And back then the games cost to make was just a tiny tiny fraction of what they cost today.

So yes, 70$ is fair in my book, at least if you want games without MTX.
Well sorry to say NBA2k and MLB the show want to talk to you.......

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Sharinghack

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
I'm ok with games costing $70 but that is the limit

And God of War having problems running on the PS4 says to me that the game is taking a little advantage of the PS5's power

EightC

11 Jul 2022
I'm ok paying $70 for games but when I see all this DLC and season passes announced before the game even comes out and that cost almost as much as the game I usually won't buy the game because it just feels like I'm paying $70.00 as an entry to pay more. I live in Canada so with taxes our games are already costing $100 and deluxe editions reaching as high as $130.00 it gets a bit much at times.

1 Jul 2022
Sony saw how much scalpers were selling PS5's for and decided PS5 owners were good for it. If you don't buy day one you're not paying $70, but I've no doubt the people complaining about paying $70 are the same people that preorder digital games and blind buy season passes as well.

Reactions: Papacheeks

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
With the price of food, gas clothing, etc going up, I don't see why gaming (a hobby) should be the exception. I just wait for sales and only buy day one occasionally.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I mean thats the good thing about Sony's close relationship now with Steam, PS4 generation they started doing steam sales. Then regular you saw a lot of things go on sale more frequent.

Now feels like there's huge deals every month.

I saw Demons souls remake and returnal for less than $40. For the quality of those titles and the worth of gameplay thats a great price IMHO.

We have no evidence whatsoever that $70 game increase has led to better games.

It is greed pure and simple, but they do it because we'll still buy it. Can't blame them, can only blame ourselves.

We have evidence in this thread by previous president of Playstation that even during his tenure games were getting more expensive during tale end of PS4. And they are more expensive to make just like films. But difference is now there are ways to possible mitigate high prices, I believe and this is just me, once GAAS titles start rolling out more, you will see more titles like Returnal go on sale more regularly.

P

peter42O

Publishers know that their games will still sell for the most part and until people stop buying them, it won't change. Like the saying goes, put your money where your mouth is but that rarely if ever happens.

For me personally, I was expecting $80 going into this generation so for games to only be $70 was already a positive for me and im not a collector so once I complete a game that I bought physically, I trade it in so a $70 day one game becomes $35-$40 day one which im not going to complain about as that's a steal for me. Also, I try to not to wait for any game especially a game im 100% all in on because first and foremost, I really want to play the game and second, I don't want a backlog because I know that if this happens like previous generations, im simply never ever going back to play them.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Game development increased.
Inflation increased.
And games are at the same price since well…

So what is the issue for playing $70 for a good game experience?

If you don’t like $70 then buy it cheaper sometime after launch.

saintjules

Forum Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Game development increased.
Inflation increased.
And games are at the same price since well…

So what is the issue for playing $70 for a good game experience?

If you don’t like $70 then buy it cheaper sometime after launch.

This is the answer for me pretty much. Wait for a sale as per usual.

The question is, is it FOMO that people have when they don't play at launch? Are they afraid of spoilers while waiting for a price drop?

GOW releases on November 9, 2022. If you save $4.3/week starting today for 16 weeks, you would have $70USD (before tax) by the release date. Hurts much less than paying it all up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.