The Doomers and Gloomers, Sony is dying thread.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
In a way, you're lucky that you weren't alive for the PS1 and PS2 gens. If the transition from PS4 to PS5 has pissed you off, you would have gone postal at the change from PS2>PS5

BUT DON'T LISTEN TO ME OR OTHER OLD SCHOOL SONY FANS. SONY IS DOING THE BESTEREST EVEREST!!!

Bro he was alive during PS1 & 2 🤣 but he we probably too young for them. Maybe could've gotten a PS1 as a young kid but that's about it.

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
Highschool for yanks is 18, right?

PS1 launched 1994 in America. PS4 launched in 2013. Bro was swimming in his daddy's nutsack when the PS1 launched.
A relative gave me their PS1, along with Spyro the Dragon and some other games, around 1999 and I played my cousins' PS2s until I got one for Christmas around 2002 or 2003. I definitely played them, but I wasn't a hardcore gamer at the time.

feiozzo

18 Jan 2024
Consoles will always have a place in the market as a low cost competitor, which are specialized for gaming. At least so long as people continue to use local devices, instead of streaming the games through things like GeForce Now, etc.
I dont know about low-cost... PC has free multiplayer and cheaper games

Reactions: toadsage44

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
So, is pc dominating the gaming space? Is this the death of consoles?
Consoles have to redefine what they were by ironically becoming what they used to be; affordable plug and play hardware.

While consoles are costing £500+ while offering a very restricted line up of games, PC will become more and more attractive.

Steam big picture mode on a prebuilt PC is easier to manoeuvre than a modern day console.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
I'm referring to the cost of the hardware.

PS5's only seen price increases over the course of the gen, unless to do sales promos in markets where the higher price might be causing sales to lag. If the trend continues, I think PS6 will face a very real situation where more casual & mainstream gamers decide that cheaper PC alternatives are "good enough" for the performance they want or would be willing to tolerate for gaming.

If we see another wave of Steam Machines, for example, that address the flaws of the first generation and are basically as plug-and-play as a console, a company like Valve could really take a decent chunk of install base market share from PlayStation among the less hardcore/more price-conscious cores, casuals & mainstream if pricing options are right and cover the lower end (and of course, higher end options as well).

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
If we see another wave of Steam Machines, for example, that address the flaws of the first generation and are basically as plug-and-play as a console, a company like Valve could really take a decent chunk of install base market share from PlayStation among the less hardcore/more price-conscious cores, casuals & mainstream if pricing options are right and cover the lower end (and of course, higher end options as well).
I agree with this perspective. While I said "consoles" will always have a place in the low cost gaming market, I think it's important to remember that gaming consoles are, fundamentally, very streamlined personal computers.

I think they still have a competitive advantage in the market, due to established manufacturing pipelines, and the economies of scale they command from a standardized unit. However, you're correct, if Valve or some other hardware manufacturer made an aggressive push to manufacture "consoles" they might experience market pressure.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
PS5's only seen price increases over the course of the gen, unless to do sales promos in markets where the higher price might be causing sales to lag. If the trend continues, I think PS6 will face a very real situation where more casual & mainstream gamers decide that cheaper PC alternatives are "good enough" for the performance they want or would be willing to tolerate for gaming.

Sony is really throwing itself into a slippery slope here.

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
We need a "The Doomers and Gloomers, PC is dying thread." to be more accurate with the reality.

😂
I've noticed with some of the doom and gloom posts for consoles on this forum, they're often associated with an implicit blame or dissatisfaction directed at the company.

As a PC gamer, how would I best emulate this rage? Do I wave my fists at hardware manufacturers, like Nvidia, or software providers, like Microsoft? I built my PC, so is perhaps the best course of action to hate myself?