The future of console is very bright - Mark Cerny interview with Dring

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
It's just a continuation of the astroturfing campaign from the start of the gen. GamerNexus, Austin Evans and a few smaller channels were all in on it. First it was the PS5 specs suck, then it was the overheating issue. Now we're back to PC is cheaper because it's what MS is trying to push, since their hardware is dead.

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
It's just a continuation of the astroturfing campaign from the start of the gen. GamerNexus, Austin Evans and a few smaller channels were all in on it. First it was the PS5 specs suck, then it was the overheating issue. Now we're back to PC is cheaper because it's what MS is trying to push, since their hardware is dead.

Don't forget the screwdriver for the stand. They used to praise Xbox for going with proprietary SSD's. Funny how that turned out.

Most PC tech channels are a joke who live in their own bubble. In their minds, 500-600€ GPU's are great value.

Reactions: Sircaw

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I remember when gamersnexus made a video comparing the PS5 to a more expensive PC. And they were running games at 1080p while the PS5 was running it at 1800p and pretending like they were equal 🤦‍♂️ Most PC youtubers are disingenuous snobs. Jayz2cents and TechYesCity are the only 2 good ones, HardwareUnboxed is ok most of the time.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Sircaw and Johnic

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I remember when gamersnexus made a video comparing the PS5 to a more expensive PC. And they were running games at 1080p while the PS5 was running it at 1800p and pretending like they were equal 🤦‍♂️ Most PC youtubers are disingenuous snobs. Jayz2cents and TechYesCity are the only 2 good ones, HardwareUnboxed is ok most of the time.
That's the one.

15 May 2024
Console is basically a costume machines that uses technologies and ideas that already existed on consumer PC's and sometimes doesn't exist . And also sometimes use part that already exist but altered and tempered to be working differently for the purpose of gaming "only " to achieved energy efficiency, cost efficiency , and usability's.

It's wrong to call it a cheap PC's because the performance is still more than double if we want to to build the comparable specs on PC's. If I want to build the same specs it will cost 1000 USD for just the desktop tower Micro ATX not include legal software like windows .

If PC master race (self entitled PC gamer) want to call PS5 as cheap PC's, then we can also called Steam Deck as cheap PC's. Even Steam Deck run better compared to others portable PC's (Rog Ally etc) due it's costume design and costume API , even though raw hardware Rog ally is more than twice of Steam Deck .

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Console is basically a costume machines that uses technologies and ideas that already existed on consumer PC's and sometimes doesn't exist . And also sometimes use part that already exist but altered and tempered to be working differently for the purpose of gaming "only " to achieved energy efficiency, cost efficiency , and usability's.

It's wrong to call it a cheap PC's because the performance is still more than double if we want to to build the comparable specs on PC's. If I want to build the same specs it will cost 1000 USD for just the desktop tower Micro ATX not include legal software like windows .

If PC master race (self entitled PC gamer) want to call PS5 as cheap PC's, then we can also called Steam Deck as cheap PC's. Even Steam Deck run better compared to others portable PC's (Rog Ally etc) due it's costume design and costume API , even though raw hardware Rog ally is more than twice of Steam Deck .
The thing with consoles, or console-like hardware like the Steam Deck's Van Gogh, is that they're not designed to run unoptimized code really fast like the PC does, and even our smartphones as well.

Unlike the consoles, our PCs (ROG Ally included, because it uses the same AMD chip that goes into 7840U laptops) need to be competitive at running ridiculous single-threaded performance, meaning they need very large cores that must clock at 5GHz+ otherwise they'll lose in all those benchmarks that essentially measure hopelessly single-threaded JavaScript performance around which every single web browser and web app is built upon.

This puts an immense pressure on everything else that goes on the chip. To be able to clock higher, the CPU cores need to use performance-optimized transistors (that take more die area) instead of area-optimized transistors, meaning there's less die area available for what would help immensely on gaming workloads like additional GPU cache and RAM memory channels.
And making those CPU cores able to clock sky-high also means they get most of the chip's power budget, whereas in a console SoC the CPU is probably taking like 15% to 20%.

So it's not like there's some dark magic that makes consoles punch above their weight in videogames. They're just not competing for that single-threaded performance on JavaScript code, so they can get away with tinier CPU cores and put more transistors and die-area dedicated to something else.

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
PS5 is so good i honestly don't know what they can improve atm. Sure it can have more RT and native 4K/60, but that's still not enough and doesn't justify a new console imo, probably gonna be the upgrade of Pro PS5. PS6 can take time until 2030 i don't think it's a necessity anytime soon.

Reactions: YeezyDude

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
PS5 is so good i honestly don't know what they can improve atm. Sure it can have more RT and native 4K/60, but that's still not enough and doesn't justify a new console imo, probably gonna be the upgrade of Pro PS5. PS6 can take time until 2030 i don't think it's a necessity anytime soon.
DLSS-like AI inferencing-driven image upscaling

Reactions: SSfox

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
It's probably coming 2028... But yeah the PS5 Pro will make the wait easier and if it's more than 2028 (Which I doubt so far) so don't I mind that as long as there's a lot of good games and it doesn't feel like we need a new console ASAP. But yeah there's at least 3-4 years left of this current generation.

Reactions: SSfox and Umar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I hope the next PlayStation will use ARM architecture instead of x86-64.
No, they must keep x86-64 to have full BC with PS4 and PS5 and to have a higher horsepower.

PS5 is so good i honestly don't know what they can improve atm.
More horsepower means they'll be able to highly improve the lighting, shadowing and reflections, and to have more detailed, varied and dense scenes.

They may also use deep learning ('AI') for improving upscaling and to generate extra frames, to the point we'll get 4K 60fps/120fps without noticing the upscaling.

Thanks to the usage of deep learning in the dev side (not running on the console) we'll also have more quantity, more varied, more detailed objects, environments, enemies/npcs, animations, textures, materials, dialogs and pretty likely missions too.

All that stuff is coming and we'll start to see it at the end of this generation and the start of the next one.

Last edited:
Reactions: YeezyDude

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
To be more powerful, specially at console-like priced hardware level.

I don’t think x86 has any intrinsic horsepower advantage over ARM or any other RISC architecture. It does have a lot of instructions that are not even used in games and can do without to save save power or die space.

You can’t beat the compatibility or familiarity argument though.

Vergil

19 Jun 2024
I don’t think x86 has any intrinsic horsepower advantage over ARM or any other RISC architecture. It does have a lot of instructions that are not even used in games and can do without to save save power or die space.

You can’t beat the compatibility or familiarity argument though.
I think that Sony can make an emulator that will be able to run PS4 and PS5 games on the next PlayStation if it is based on ARM architecture. A clear example of this is Apple.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think that Sony can make an emulator that will be able to run PS4 and PS5 games on the next PlayStation if it is based on ARM architecture. A clear example of this is Apple.
Sony won't charge thousands of dollars for a console.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi