The Gaming Press vs Fans! Who do you agree with when it comes to Resident Evil Games?

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
According to the gaming press on Metacritic These are the best Resident Evil Games:
Resident Evil 4 (GameCube)96 by 82 critics
Resident Evil 4(PlayStation 2)96 by 38 critics
Resident Evil: Code Veronica(Dreamcast)94 by 18 critics
Resident Evil 4 Remake (PlayStation 5)93 by 131 critics
Resident Evil 2 Remake(Xbox One)93 by 26 critics
Resident Evil 2 Remake(PlayStation 4)91 by 94 critics
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition(Wii)91 by 49 critics
Resident Evil Remake(GameCube)91 by 35 critics
Resident Evil 4 Remake(Xbox Series)91 by 29 Critics
Resident Evil 4 Remake(PC)91 By 24 Critics
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis(PlayStation 1)91 by 19 critic
Resident Evil (1996)(PlayStation 1)91 by 8 critics
Now here are the Best Resident Evil games on Metacritic according to the fans:
Resident Evil Remake(GameCube)9.7 from 1,996 user ratings
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis(PlayStation 1)9.5 from 860 user ratings
Resident Evil 4(PlayStation 2)9.4 from (About 2.800 reviews, Metacritic won't give the exact number)
Resident Evil(PlayStation 1)9.4 from 1,372 user ratings
Resident Evil 2 1998(PlayStation 1)9.3 from (About 1,100 reviews, Metacritic won't give the exact number)
Resident Evil 2 1998(Dreamcast)9.3 from 75 user reviews
Resident Evil 4(GameCube)9.1 from 2.243 user ratings
Resident Evil 2 1998(Nintendo 64)9.0 from 134 user ratings
Resident Evil 2 1998(PC)9.0 from 127 user ratings
Resident Evil 2 Remake(PlayStation 4)8.9 from 5,820 user ratings
Resident Evil: Code Veronica(Dreamcast)8.7 from 514 user ratings

It's weird to see how things can change in 6 years as in early 2018 The GameCube Version of Resident Evil 4 was the highest rated game ever on Metacritic user reviews but that is not the case anymore!

what do you think? Do you agree with the gaming sites? The Critics? or neither?

Last edited:

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Neither for me.

RE2 OG is the best.

RE2 Remake is the best of the new bunch.

RE4 might be the best game but a shit Resident Evil.
This, but would change the last line to "might be a good game".

Also happy there is no mention of the abominations called RE5 and especially RE6.

• brain
Reactions: Muddasar

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I genuinely hated RE4 one of the biggest gaming disappointments ever for me, up until that moment it was probably my favorite franchise.

The OG ones with tank control and pre-rendered backgrounds were much better for me but I liked the RE2 remake as well (never played RE3 remake).

I'm considering giving RE4 remake a shot to see if it hits differently this time but I doubt it. That Salazar guy and everything that happens once you go into the castle is when the franchise jumped the shark for me.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Mine

1st and 2nd place - RE2 Classic Or RE Remake

RE CV
RE 3
RE8
RE4 (Great game, not my favourite RE)

Last edited:

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Myself. That's why my opinions vary from the mainstream ones.

RE4 ruined the series.

RE2 remake isn't a good remake but is a very good RE game by itself. OG RE2 is still better because of A/B scenarios and more areas and enemies.

RE5 only does more of what people praised in RE4 and gets shat on.

Code Veronica is a great game.

Revelations 1 is better than Revelations 2.

As for actual ratings.

RE1 remake
RE2 OG
RE3 OG
Code Veronica
RE0
RE1 OG
Outbreak games
RE2 remake
RE4 remake
RE3 remake
RE4
RE5
RE7
RE8
RE6

Last edited:
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I genuinely hated RE4 one of the biggest gaming disappointments ever for me, up until that moment it was probably my favorite franchise.

The OG ones with tank control and pre-rendered backgrounds were much better for me but I liked the RE2 remake as well (never played RE3 remake).

I'm considering giving RE4 remake a shot to see if it hits differently this time but I doubt it. That Salazar guy and everything that happens once you go into the castle is when the franchise jumped the shark for me.
If you think RE4's castle part is the moment the series jumped the shark then you must of never played code veronica or RE0

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Myself. That's why my opinions vary from the mainstream ones.

RE4 ruined the series.

RE2 remake isn't a good remake but is a very good RE game by itself. OG RE2 is still better because of A/B scenarios and more areas and enemies.

RE5 only does more of what people praised in RE4 and gets shat on.

Code Veronica is a great game.

Revelations 1 is better than Revelations 2.

As for actual ratings.

RE1 remake
RE2 OG
RE3 OG
Code Veronica
RE1 OG
Outbreak games
RE2 remake
RE4 remake
RE3 remake
RE4
RE5
RE7
RE8
RE6
This is the second time I've seen you say this and I just don't get it?
Resident Evil 4 was praised for revolutionizing third person shooters while RE5 just followed in Gears of Wars steps? The literal default way of Playing RE5 uses a control style inspired by gears of war.
*RE5 turned the el gigante fight into a house of the dead like shoot out with out moving around
*RE5 censored the chainsaw decapitation
*RE5 severely limited the number of items you can carry and wasn't very well thought out (You mean to tell me a case of machine gun ammo takes up the same amount of space in your inventory as a H&K MP5 WITH AMMO IN IT???? An egg takes up the same space as an RPG?)
*RE5 was not made with single player in mind and was meant to be played co-op which makes it very different from RE4 with that alone
*RE5's overall atmosphere takes a backseat to the games story telling compared to RE4
*RE5 has an half as attempt at replacing the merchant by having you only being able to sell stuff between chapters
I get on the surface RE5 does a lot of what RE4 does but in practice just took what RE4 and dumbed a lot of it down a lot thanks to being built around with co-op in mind. RE5 felt like it was trying to take the action parts of RE4 and turn it into gears while RE4 felt like it was made to be an evolution of Resident Evil.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Some of the games are in the 90s and that is justified... Like in the case of RE2 and 4 and maybe 1 too.

However some games have very inflated scores.

• fire
Reactions: RE4-Station

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
RE4 has a lot of what makes a great Resident Evil (cautiously walking halls, conservation, backtracking for items) but it also has straight up action in it too. That’s naturally going to grab a critic who’s not necessarily looking for an RE game but nonetheless wants a fun experience.

For me the original game and the remake are the best. From there it’s just a battle of which adds the most without screwing with the formula. RE5 for example would be at the bottom of the list.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
None. Gears of Evil 4/5/6 can't be rated that high. And we are reaching an era where 7th generation kids will start having nostalgia for Gears 5/6 and gears revelations. It sends shivers down my spine.

My own rating

Remake
Code veronica X
Resident evil
Resident evil 2
Resident evil 3
Re2make
Gears of evil 4
Resident evil 0
Gears, revelations 2
Re3make
Gears of evil 5
Gears of evil 6
Gears revelations

Haven't played gears 4 remake yet.

Last edited:

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
RE4 has a lot of what makes a great Resident Evil (cautiously walking halls, conservation, backtracking for items) but it also has straight up action in it too. That’s naturally going to grab a critic who’s not necessarily looking for an RE game but nonetheless wants a fun experience.

For me the original game and the remake are the best. From there it’s just a battle of which adds the most without screwing with the formula. RE5 for example would be at the bottom of the list.

Honestly as bad as RE5 was, RE6 makes it look decent.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Audience score>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (x1000) >> Critic Score

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
All this RE4 hate got me looking out my house like
resident evil 4 GIF