The Gaming Press vs Fans! Who do you agree with when it comes to Resident Evil Games?

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
This is the second time I've seen you say this and I just don't get it?
Resident Evil 4 was praised for revolutionizing third person shooters while RE5 just followed in Gears of Wars steps? The literal default way of Playing RE5 uses a control style inspired by gears of war.
*RE5 turned the el gigante fight into a house of the dead like shoot out with out moving around
*RE5 censored the chainsaw decapitation
*RE5 severely limited the number of items you can carry and wasn't very well thought out (You mean to tell me a case of machine gun ammo takes up the same amount of space in your inventory as a H&K MP5 WITH AMMO IN IT???? An egg takes up the same space as an RPG?)
*RE5 was not made with single player in mind and was meant to be played co-op which makes it very different from RE4 with that alone
*RE5's overall atmosphere takes a backseat to the games story telling compared to RE4
*RE5 has an half as attempt at replacing the merchant by having you only being able to sell stuff between chapters
I get on the surface RE5 does a lot of what RE4 does but in practice just took what RE4 and dumbed a lot of it down a lot thanks to being built around with co-op in mind. RE5 felt like it was trying to take the action parts of RE4 and turn it into gears while RE4 felt like it was made to be an evolution of Resident Evil.
RE4 turned the series into a 3rd person shooter. It completely killed the atmosphere, it killed the survival aspect and completely changed the series' genre. And it was praised for it.

RE5 did all those things only to a higher degree. Bigger bosses, bigger setpieces and more action. It did the same things RE4 was praised for, only dialed up.

The one thing RE4 has over 5 is atmosphere. And even that is gone once you hit the island. RE5 has a better story because it actually ties it to the rest of the series and provides new info.

I've put RE4 before 5 in my rating simply because it had a better atmosphere and some more interesting enemies.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I only agree with myself :p

Joking asides that is the truth... I understand meta scores and even use it as a proper tool... the same for user comments or word of mouth of some games.
But at the end what matters is if I like it or not... so my personal score is the best for myself.

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
RE4 turned the series into a 3rd person shooter. It completely killed the atmosphere, it killed the survival aspect and completely changed the series' genre. And it was praised for it.

RE5 did all those things only to a higher degree. Bigger bosses, bigger setpieces and more action. It did the same things RE4 was praised for, only dialed up.

The one thing RE4 has over 5 is atmosphere. And even that is gone once you hit the island. RE5 has a better story because it actually ties it to the rest of the series and provides new info.

I've put RE4 before 5 in my rating simply because it had a better atmosphere and some more interesting enemies.
Again that isn't true.
The El Gigante wasn't even a boss fight in RE5, The turret jeep chase is more restrictive than the bulldozer part in RE4.
But the weird thing you seem to be glossing over is that RE5 gets both shat on and praised for it's focus on co-op
thats what makes the game play entirely different and designed differently than RE4.
That flashlight in the dark caves part in RE5 has no equivalent in RE4 because in RE4 they never designed it in a way where you have to rely on the ai to do half the work.
I'm starting to wonder if you even played thru the games all the way if you can't see why RE5 wasn't praised as well as RE4!

and that part about RE4 killing the atmosphere is just your opinion, There are many people who praised RE4 at it's release and even to this day for it's atmosphere

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
The period between RE4 and RE7 was full of shitty RE games
where there was no shitty RE game in 2005 so that is why I was wondering why 2005 was included in there.
But another thing I never understand about the logic about "RE4 leading to the disappointing sequels" narrative I see online all the time is that why is RE4 the starting point of shitty RE games?
The only reason we got the RE4 we got was that Code Veronica, RE1 Remake, and RE0 all were commercial failures.

why doesn't the blame for shitty RE games start there? had Code Veronica, RE1 Remake, and RE0 done great numbers and were big financial successes we would of had quite a different outcome of what was to follow for the series.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
where there was no shitty RE game in 2005 so that is why I was wondering why 2005 was included in there.
But another thing I never understand about the logic about "RE4 leading to the disappointing sequels" narrative I see online all the time is that why is RE4 the starting point of shitty RE games?
The only reason we got the RE4 we got was that Code Veronica, RE1 Remake, and RE0 all were commercial failures.

why doesn't the blame for shitty RE games start there? had Code Veronica, RE1 Remake, and RE0 done great numbers and were big financial successes we would of had quite a different outcome of what was to follow for the series.
They were commercial failure because GameCube itself was commercial failure and Nintendo gamers were less likely to buy this type of games. Capcom left their fanbase behind. Capcom was very stupid company back in 2000s.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Nostalgia purposes RE2 is my favorite. But it’s not what I think the best game is. Also REmake 2 effectively replaces the OG for me similar to how REmake 1 on GameCube did.

Otherwise my new top 3 are RE7, RE4 OG and REmake 1.

Haven’t played 8 yet. Don’t ever intend to play 6. 5 sucks big time. Revelations games overhyped by Nintendo fans and very mid. Nemesis was fun back then but always the weakest of the 3.

I bought a Dreamcast for Code Veronica… it’s still kinda mid and when they dropped CV and classic style for RE4. That was a very welcome and refreshing change at the time and saved Resident Evil.

Reactions: RE4-Station

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Nostalgia purposes RE2 is my favorite. But it’s not what I think the best game is. Also REmake 2 effectively replaces the OG for me similar to how REmake 1 on GameCube did.

Haven’t played 8 yet. Don’t ever intend to play 6. 5 sucks big time. Nemesis was fun back then but always the weakest of the 3.

I bought a Dreamcast for Code Veronica… it’s still kinda mid and when they dropped CV and classic style for RE4. That was a very welcome and refreshing change at the time and saved Resident Evil.
Camera prospective definitely needed to move on from fixed camera.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Camera prospective definitely needed to move on from fixed camera.

Maybe. Formula as a whole may have felt stale at that point. I just generally see it as a weaker game. I think it’s the atmosphere… something always was off to me. And yea I get that it should feel that way since it’s … horror but I dunno. Feels more empty than you’d like.

Then again… I actually really enjoyed Zero similar to how I did Nemesis; as action games. And no one really talks about Zero. It’s a good game 😎

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
They were commercial failure because GameCube itself was commercial failure and Nintendo gamers were less likely to buy this type of games. Capcom left their fanbase behind. Capcom was very stupid company back in 2000s.
First of all only Shinji Mikami was the stupid one here for thinking Dreamcast and gamecube were the future of gaming over the PS2 and Xbox. (He is a little justified as he and some developers at the time considered the PS2 to be a bit difficult to program for at the time.)
Capcom didn't have enough resources at the time to port all the resident evil projects they had at the time to multiple consoles so they left it up to Shinji Mikami to decide where to develop the games for.

However that doesn't change what I said. Resident Evil 4 only happened because of the failures of RE1 remake on Gamecube, RE0 on Gamecube, Code Veronica on Dreamcast, and Code Veronica X on PS2 (You know the system with a 155 million units sold!)

Even then they decided to port RE4 to PS2 because it didn't meet their expectations.
This is false, The PS2 port of RE4 was announced on October 31st/November 1st, 2004 over 2 months before RE4 released on Gamecube because they were losing money during this time and needed to fix their stock price. Not because of RE4's Gamecube sales performance which by the way is the second best selling Third Party Gamecube game only behind sonic adventure 2

Last edited:
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022

Haven’t played 8 yet. Don’t ever intend to play 6. 5 sucks big time. Revelations games overhyped by Nintendo fans and very mid. Nemesis was fun back then but always the weakest of the 3.

Revelations 2 didn't come to a Nintendo platform until November 2017 when it was nearly 3 years old.
Sony paid Capcom and a another studio to port the game to PS Vita so it was technically a handheld exclusive to PlayStation for 2 years

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Johnic

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Revelations 2 didn't come to a Nintendo platform until November 2017 when it was nearly 3 years old.
Sony paid Capcom and a another studio to port the game to PS Vita so it was technically a handheld exclusive to PlayStation for 2 years

Didn’t know that about the second game. I just remember the hype surrounding the first game after players felt disenchanted a bit after 6 clamoring for less action driven games… I think it was like that no?

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
First of all only Shinji Mikami was the stupid one here for thinking Dreamcast and gamecube were the future of gaming over the PS2 and Xbox. (He is a little justified as he and some developers at the time considered the PS2 to be a bit difficult to program for at the time.)
Capcom didn't have enough resources at the time to port all the resident evil projects they had at the time to multiple consoles so they left it up to Shinji Mikami to decide where to develop the games for.

However that doesn't change what I said. Resident Evil 4 only happened because of the failures of RE1 remake on Gamecube, RE0 on Gamecube, Code Veronica on Dreamcast, and Code Veronica X on PS2 (You know the system with a 155 million units sold!)

This is false, The PS2 port of RE4 was announced on October 31st/November 1st, 2004 over 2 months before RE4 released on Gamecube because they were losing money during this time and needed to fix their stock price. Not because of RE4's Gamecube sales performance which by the way is the second best selling Third Party Gamecube game only behind sonic adventure 2

It sold 1.6 million on GC ( remake and zero each sold 1.35 million). I don't think that e,tra 0.25 million made RE4 success and saved the franchise.
At the end it's the PS2 port that saved the franchise

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
It sold 1.6 million on GC ( remake and zero each sold 1.35 million). I don't think that e,tra 0.25 million made RE4 success and saved the franchise.
At the end it's the PS2 port that saved the franchise
I'm not saying the gamecube release saved resident evil but the gamecube version of Resident Evil 4 did save capcoms ass in 2005.

go to page 12 of Capcoms shareholder report for April 1st, 2004 - March 31st, 2005

Resident Evil 4 in a little over 2 months had already outsold RE1 remake and RE0 on gamecube despite those titles being released over 2 years (Nearly 3 years for RE1 remake) before RE4 released.

And RE4 on Gamecube got these sales despite being announced for the PS2 already. Imagine how bad RE1 remake and RE0 would of sold on GameCube if a PS2 port was announced before those games released.

Now don't forget RE1 remake and RE0 on Gamecube got a sales boost thanks to RE4!
In December 2004 Capcom put out the pure evil 2 pack on Gamecube and included the RE4 demo with it in North America and Japan

Then in 2006 Capcom put out another collection on Gamecube for the 10 year anniversary of the franchise that had RE4, RE1 remake, and RE0 included. So RE1 remake and RE0 got another boost thanks to RE4

Lastly look at Capcom's profit margins from 2003 to 2005
RE4 releasing on Gamecube before the end of Fiscal year 2004 helped them from losing as much money as the year before.
Then RE4 releasing on PS2 the next fiscal year helped put them in a profitable place again.

go to page 7 of Capcom's annual fiscal report for 2006: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/2006annual/Annual2006e.pdf
right there RE4's PS2 release put them back in a profitable place again.

Also the PS2 version of RE4 also helped boost sales for Code Veronica X and Resident Evil Outbreak with the PS2 triple pack called "Resident Evil Essentials"

Resident Evil 4 helped save the series by getting more eyes on the franchise and helping out sales of the older games that underperformed

Anyway RE1 and RE0 would get rereleased on wii in Japan in 2008 and everywhere else in 2009 to 010 and those ports bombed hard while RE4 on Wii sold really good for a port of a two year old game and to a much smaller install base than what RE1 remake and RE0 on Wii had.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Again that isn't true.
The El Gigante wasn't even a boss fight in RE5, The turret jeep chase is more restrictive than the bulldozer part in RE4.
But the weird thing you seem to be glossing over is that RE5 gets both shat on and praised for it's focus on co-op
thats what makes the game play entirely different and designed differently than RE4.
That flashlight in the dark caves part in RE5 has no equivalent in RE4 because in RE4 they never designed it in a way where you have to rely on the ai to do half the work.
I'm starting to wonder if you even played thru the games all the way if you can't see why RE5 wasn't praised as well as RE4!

and that part about RE4 killing the atmosphere is just your opinion, There are many people who praised RE4 at it's release and even to this day for it's atmosphere
Yeah, not a huge fan of co-op. In general when it's shoved into a SP game. Ashley was annoying as hell but at least you could tell her to hide at times. Sheva just eats ammo and gets killed.

The point of this entire discussion is to point out that it was RE4, not 5, that almost killed the series. I find 4 to be a better game but it;s not some perfect masterpiece when compared to 5. 5 went hardcore on all the stuff people praised RE4 for. And then people are disappointed. Of course they'll go hardcore COD route, because people liked where RE4 took the series. And they did more of it in 5, to the point that it's the biggest seller in the franchise. Not correlating sales to quality here, though.

And of course I played the games. RE is my second favorite franchise. Sure, a lot of people liked the atmosphere but a lot of people also liked RE6 so they're just opinions.

Speaking of saving the franchise, there's a nice video putting things into context.

The series DEFINITELY needed a change but to me, RE4 wasn't it. I think Evil Within was what RE4 should have been. It's also an action horror game but much more focused on survival.

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Yeah, not a huge fan of co-op. In general when it's shoved into a SP game. Ashley was annoying as hell but at least you could tell her to hide at times. Sheva just eats ammo and gets killed.

The point of this entire discussion is to point out that it was RE4, not 5, that almost killed the series. I find 4 to be a better game but it;s not some perfect masterpiece when compared to 5. 5 went hardcore on all the stuff people praised RE4 for. And then people are disappointed. Of course they'll go hardcore COD route, because people liked where RE4 took the series. And they did more of it in 5, to the point that it's the biggest seller in the franchise. Not correlating sales to quality here, though.

And of course I played the games. RE is my second favorite franchise. Sure, a lot of people liked the atmosphere but a lot of people also liked RE6 so they're just opinions.

Speaking of saving the franchise, there's a nice video putting things into context.

The series DEFINITELY needed a change but to me, RE4 wasn't it. I think Evil Within was what RE4 should have been. It's also an action horror game but much more focused on survival.
I just don't know what to tell you man. someone must of surgically planted the thought that "RE5 did more of what RE4 did" because you keep repeating when you literally say in this reply that quality doesn't correlate to sales. RE4 reviewed well because of how quality it is but I don't think you have the ability to think beyond "RE5 did more of what RE4 did"
I can't believe you cannot think about what you are saying for one second?
what parts of RE4 feel like Call of Duty?
RE5 goes the COD route and get lowers scores and you just don't get it?
I feel stupider and stupider just constantly replying to you about this so I'm gonna let you be you and just move on.
My only advice is just get a tattoo on your arm that says "RE5 did more of what RE4 did", make it your profile picture so you don't ever have to waste time typing it out again.

Also that video gets a lot of things wrong.
It forgets the context that RE4 on GameCube might of only outsold the game cube version of RE1 Remake and RE0 by only about 300k but the GameCube versions of RE1 and RE0 would of sold a lot worse if there was a ps2 port of those games announced before the GameCube versions released like what happened with RE4!

Also the RE1 and RE0 on GameCube got a late life boost thanks to being bundled with RE4 for a little bit there: https://www.ign.com/games/resident-evil-10th-anniversary-collection/

He also forgets to mention that from 2000 to 2005 Resident Evil sales were in the gutter.
Code Veronica Dreamcast (2000)
Resident Evil Gun Survivor PS1 (2000)
Code Veronica PS2 (2001)
Resident Evil Remake GameCube (2002)
Resident Evil 0 GameCube (2002)
Resident Evil Gun Survivor 2 PS2 (2002)
Resident Evil: Dead Aim PS2 (2003)
Resident Evil Outbreak PS2 (2003/2004)
Resident Evil Outbreak File 2 PS2 (2004/2005)
Also RE2 on Dreamcast/GC and RE3 on Gamecube all bombed as well.

It doesn't matter if RE1 - RE3 sold well on the PS1 in the late 90s
Those games released at the perfect time when the PS1 had no real competition and were cheap and fast to make
also as said earlier those games stop welling well in later ports so those games didn't stop the franchise from hitting a sales slump in the early 2000s

That video also forgets how RE4 saved Capcom from having another bad year financially and helped turn the company around
Monster Hunter in 2004, Devil May Cry 3 in 2005 didn't compare to RE4 in sales

Last edited:

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I remember a section of gears of evil 4 that looked like the fire temple from Zelda. It's a good dumb action game (maybe a bit long)

But it almost killed the survival horror were not for Amnesia and penumbra. And even then, those first person games lack the finesse of the fixed camera games.

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I remember a section of gears of evil 4 that looked like the fire temple from Zelda. It's a good dumb action game (maybe a bit long)

But it almost killed the survival horror were not for Amnesia and penumbra. And even then, those first person games lack the finesse of the fixed camera games.
earlier you called the revelations games gears of evil? do you really think those games are anything like gears?