The lack of indie games made the xbox showcase more enjoyable

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I’m not against indie games, i love them and I DO think they deserve their place amongst the big guys. The exception though is when you look at a show like Geoffs or any of the other smaller indie shows over the weekend almost no one has talked about them in any significant way. I think as much as the industry wants to pretend to care about smaller developers, all you hear is moaning and groaning when they start to get too much screen time.

Microsoft had the Mouse game but if you blinked you would have completely missed it. People come to these big platform showcases to be wowed and feel validated over their 500 dollar purchases. They don’t want to see steam early access tittles about farming, and cats, etc.

I think sony needs to consider cutting down on some of these smaller games and create a separate showcase for them, or do the blog thing. They just always end up ruining the pacing to a show as Microsoft proved a couple days ago

No one to this day has even questioned or brought up the fact that microsoft didn’t feature any smaller developers. They’re just so high on all the big game reveals as opposed to Geoff and Sony’s State of Play

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
People on forums pretend they want indies and small AAs ("Sony should make experimental games like Japan studios") but in reality they want the big AAAs and tentpoles only.

Kena or Stray is the indie-level they want, anything below that is indie trash no one cares.

Yeah, or something like ‘Mixtape’, things published by Annapurna or the bigger games from Devolver Digital.

It’s kind of like how people don’t truly love “independent films” unless they have a bunch of awards from Sundance, Cannes, or Tribeca film festival.

Stuff produced by A24

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Who is pretending, almost everything I have really really enjoyed in the past several years has been from small studios and not AAA games. AA innovates and AAA iterates on safe ideas

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
There was one Indie at the showcase

Harrison Ford GIF

Reactions: Zzero

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
That mixtape thing looked like fucking garbage but all I see is people praising it. Anyways, indie games can be good but they don't really show up good in conferences, with a very small amount of exceptions. The SGF stream is a great example of it, so much of the "janky, generic trash" shown off is the cream of the crop of Steam early access and probably either plays great or has tons of potential. But you wouldn't know by the look of it.

And honestly, there was some AA stuff in the Xbox conference, like Expedition 33, Flintlock, that other souls-like they showed, etc. But when they look good like that you don't tend to think of them as indie anymore.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Who is pretending, almost everything I have really really enjoyed in the past several years has been from small studios and not AAA games. AA innovates and AAA iterates on safe ideas
For me is the opposite.

Every time I play an indie or AA game the feeling is that lacks quality… it feels like these old games that everybody played.

Now good AAA game is where industry innovate and give player the goods.

That is why after I become father with the little time I have to games I don’t bother with indies or AA games anymore… the time I have I enjoy a good AAA game.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
BTW the show had indies.
From the few new announces 3-4 were indies… only one Xbox console exclusive.

The AAA announces where Gears and Doom… again only one Xbox console exclusive.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
This isn't politically correct but it's 100% true, Geoffs show was mostly indies and it was awful. Idk when it became cool to hate on AAA and worship indie games lmao, vast majority of them are junk.

Also, idk if we can even call Devolver Digital and Annapurna published games indie anymore. Those companies are huge now, even Sony has a small stake in Devolver.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
That mixtape thing looked like fucking garbage but all I see is people praising it. Anyways, indie games can be good but they don't really show up good in conferences, with a very small amount of exceptions. The SGF stream is a great example of it, so much of the "janky, generic trash" shown off is the cream of the crop of Steam early access and probably either plays great or has tons of potential. But you wouldn't know by the look of it.

And honestly, there was some AA stuff in the Xbox conference, like Expedition 33, Flintlock, that other souls-like they showed, etc. But when they look good like that you don't tend to think of them as indie anymore.

BTW the show had indies.
From the few new announces 3-4 were indies… only one Xbox console exclusive.

The AAA announces where Gears and Doom… again only one Xbox console exclusive.

Yeah theres a difference between Flintlock, Epedition 33, mixtape, and things like little kitty big city, killer bean, wanderstop, etc.

Having indies fill up your showcase is like inviting unpopular kids to the party so now the cool kids don’t show up or the cool kids that are there look lamer by association (astro bot, monster hunter)

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Gamepass is like 90% indies tho and the press was always going to give the Xbox showcase the win. Grub said out his own mouth before the showcase he would give it a 9 as long as it wasn't a disaster.

I know this is hypocritical to say pertaining to this thread but seeing all these outlets ‘grading’ the showcases is funny. Like its not somethign that goes on an aggregate site. There’s also not 3 big showcases for E3 anymore so no one is really winning anything with scores.

The only tangible metric of success is if more consoles are being sold because of it. If its still 3rd on NPD it really doesn’t mean anything

• fire
Reactions: The Icon

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I like SOME Indies but I feel we have a reached a point where it has also become a Grift. Being a game developer is now too accessible and a lot of Indies are just cheap knock offs trash or some whyte nerd trying to relive the 90's with their shitty rock music blasting away in the background 🙆🏽

• Cerny
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

daniel5043

Veteran
19 Jan 2023
Too many indies are basically the same style of game which doesn't help though one one thing that bugs me about the xbox showcase was all the updates for there GAAS games

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
After Fable, there was around 6 or so Indie games which were 6 too many for me. lol

I don't mind "indies" if they look like Kena, The Ascent or Expedition 33. But otherwise, they should all be saved for those Indie shows.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
People on forums pretend they want indies and small AAs ("Sony should make experimental games like Japan studios") but in reality they want the big AAAs and tentpoles only.

Kena or Stray is the indie-level they want, anything below that is indie trash no one cares.
I wouldn’t say pretend. I think those people do want those games. But those people are a very loud vocal minority.

Reactions: daniel5043

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
For me is the opposite.

Every time I play an indie or AA game the feeling is that lacks quality… it feels like these old games that everybody played.

Now good AAA game is where industry innovate and give player the goods.

That is why after I become father with the little time I have to games I don’t bother with indies or AA games anymore… the time I have I enjoy a good AAA game.
Their are plenty of indies and double A games that have quality.