the money spent on Bungie could've acquired more than 55% of Square Enix

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
making Sony be the majority owner, Square Enix has been primordial to PS5, in 2023, a year we only had Spiderman 2 from first party, Square Enix were there with Final Fantasy 16, and Forspoken (with proper management and quality control from SIE would've been a great title), in 2024, a year we have nothing from first party yet, SE were there with the most critically aclaimed title of the year so far, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, with SE moving to AAA titles now, they would be PERFECT to integrate with PS Studios, but it's too late, now they completely embraced multiplatform, Xbox and Nintendo will see main FF titles again... Kingdom Hearts exclusivity? also lost.
lgFVhRm5BfoX02pRUt3lSmLV.png

ff7rebirth-1705691603436.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 2spooky5me
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
all of this for a title which is not even as popular as genshin impact (which Sony will also end up losing exclusivity) nowadays and continues on rival platforms like Xbox, hating modern playstation is a civic right at this point

Last edited:

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Bungie make good games or used to make good games, Sony basically paid 1st pick draft price for a player that peaked in high school. The next two years will determine if this acquisition gives returns or will be written off as a money pit but taking a cursory glance bungie is still a better acquisition than firewalk, haven, firesprite

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Sony can put Bungie to work on an SP FPS that is not a GaaS but has standard multiplayer. That’d be great.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Sony can put Bungie to work on an SP FPS that is not a GaaS but has standard multiplayer. That’d be great.
well, they need to have staff for it, they'll be busy working on destiny and marathon, both multiplatform, doesn't benefit playstation as a platform in nearly anything, if marathon flops... well, i don't even want to think about it

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Bungie make good games or used to make good games, Sony basically paid 1st pick draft price for a player that peaked in high school. The next two years will determine if this acquisition gives returns or will be written off as a money pit but taking a cursory glance bungie is still a better acquisition than firewalk, haven, firesprite
for me, both are wrong acquisitions, the model in which Concord and Helldivers have themselfs is not even the same model of Destiny/Marathon of free to play with battle passes and DLCs, i think Bungie didn't even had a hand on these titles, if they had a hand on Concord, we know the possibilities of Marathon flopping are huge...

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
making Sony be the majority owner, Square Enix has been primordial to PS5, in 2023, a year we only had Spiderman 2 from first party, Square Enix were there with Final Fantasy 16, and Forspoken (with proper management and quality control from SIE would've been a great title), in 2024, a year we have nothing from first party yet, SE were there with the most critically aclaimed title of the year so far, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, with SE moving to AAA titles now, they would be PERFECT to integrate with PS Studios, but it's too late, now they completely embraced multiplatform, Xbox and Nintendo will see main FF titles again... Kingdom Hearts exclusivity? also lost.
lgFVhRm5BfoX02pRUt3lSmLV.png

ff7rebirth-1705691603436.jpg
🙄 I don’t get this obsession with square. There games aren’t selling and their management is worse than bungie. If Sony bought square they would have to gut the company. Square has hardly created a new ip worth crap in like a decade and it seems like they got nothing planned but more ff they actually own.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Vertigo

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I mean they got what they wanted out of them. FF16 and 7 Rebirth filled in the years when needed. And FF7-3 is under development probably targeting the series 30th anniversary in 2027 on. Totoki talking about profit margins and financial discipline, I don't think they want more overhead and bloat. The way Xbox is going I think the necessity and urgency is gone to secure publishers for Sony. Maybe if Square falters and are cheaper they will swoop in.

We don't know how DQ12 is turning out but being UE5, PS5 (Pro) is going to have the best version. Same applies for KH4, I do think they should go after Nier, a deal with Yoko Taro to fund his game with perhaps Platinum, that said Taro is a freelancer so that could be done outside of Square. He is a bit underrated and fits the auteur personality prestige Sony has/goes for.

26 Nov 2023
🙄 I don’t get this obsession with square. There games aren’t selling and their management is worse than bungie. If Sony bought square they would have to gut the company. Square has hardly created a new ip worth crap in like a decade and it seems like they got nothing planned but more ff they actually own.

In no way is Square's management worse than Bungie lol Nobody's out here on Twitter calling Matsuda or Kiryu a liar and asking for their resignation. That said, I also don't see the obsession with Sony buying Square. Things are cheaper the way they are now and even if they're more focused on multiplat Sony won't be losing out on their games.

2 Jun 2024
square already good partners your never finale mainline games maybe Nintendo will see some square enix games but not Xbox been selling like dog shit theirs no urgency with publishers for Xbox and gamepass

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
if marathon flops... well, i don't even want to think about it
Any game can flop, Sony and Bungie havent made many that do, so I wouldnt worry about it.
Marathon seems to be popular and highly anticipated

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
As a square fan, better if they remain independent, as if they were bought by anyone, things would be scrapped, many layoffs and changed to the publisher.
Best fot Sony to invest in them and buy the individual teams they have in history like ND, suckerpunch, that had longstanding relations

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Sony will have no exclusive jrpgs at all soon. That's not good.

Who cares, JRPGS in case you haven’t noticed don’t even sell that well these days unless they’re named pokemon.

Horizon FW outsold both FFXVI and FF Rebirth combined, and those games are the top of their class. The most valuable game SE has is FFXIV and its only valuable a multiplatform title

They did well in filling in gaps but jrpgs have become niche gaming experiences for boomer-gamers.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Bungie wanted to be brought, did S-E? Because I'm betting they didn't.

Edit: And Square's been making flop after flop this gen, if Sony had purchased them then you would be complaining about what a bust they were instead.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Remember_Spinal

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
In no way is Square's management worse than Bungie lol Nobody's out here on Twitter calling Matsuda or Kiryu a liar and asking for their resignation. That said, I also don't see the obsession with Sony buying Square. Things are cheaper the way they are now and even if they're more focused on multiplat Sony won't be losing out on their games.
If you haven't seen people talking about Square lying about, for example, the financial success of S-E JP vs Eidos titles then you obviously haven't been looking.