The Order: 1886 Retrospective + PS5 60fps Gameplay - A Game That's Still Stunning Today. Deserves a 2nd Chance.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I loved my time with it. Decent cast and the setting was fun. The gunplay was on point and snappy even tho still a cover shooter.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Today is, yes. But The Order wasn't rushed.
Yes it was, it couldn't be more obvious. Sony thought the game was taking too long and didn't allow the additional year or so that they clearly needed.

That mistake was very costly for Sony who ruined a partnership that had worked many times before and lost a studio that had everything to overtime become one of their best.

If RaD had got the Bend treatment things would've turned out much better.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
No. Game was in development for more than 5 years. That isn't rushed. It was a short game. Also, games was very polished. So, not a single evidence of being rushed.
The game was rushed out because of a deadline and budget. RAD already said they had to spend years building their in-house engine as well. They didn't spend 5 actual years on the game itself. Even so the engine was a technical marvel and they launched one of the most polished games of that generation or just overall.

They had bigger plans for the games including co-op and online aspects too and was hoping they'd get a sequel for it.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Yes it was, it couldn't be more obvious. Sony thought the game was taking too long and didn't allow the additional year or so that they clearly needed.

That mistake was very costly for Sony who ruined a partnership that had worked many times before and lost a studio that had everything to overtime become one of their best.

If RaD had got the Bend treatment things would've turned out much better.

Game was announced in 2013 and it was delayed for almost a year in 2014. So much about Sony didn't allow them additional year

So, no, it wasn't. Go check Ready At Dawn video about the Order. Game was very polished from top to bottom. That isn't a rushed game.

Last edited:

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
The game was rushed out because of a deadline and budget. RAD already said they had to spend years building their in-house engine as well. They didn't spend 5 actual years on the game itself. Even so the engine was a technical marvel and they launched one of the most polished games of that generation or just overall.

They had bigger plans for the games including co-op and online aspects too and was hoping they'd get a sequel for it.

No, it wasn't rushed. Which deadline? Game was delayed for almost a year. Pretty big delay for such a short game. That's first evidence that game wasn't rushed. It was in development from early 2010 till release in 2015.

Ru Weerasuriya :
The genesis of this project happened many years ago, but it was not until 2010, when hearing of the upcoming PS4, that we as a studio decided it was time for us to bring this IP to life. We saw that the platform could finally give us the potential needed to achieve the vision we had for this game.
Rushed game isn't polished game and rushed game don't have a year delay, especially if it is so short

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Today is, yes. But The Order wasn't rushed.
It was and anybody that played it knows that.
It was an unfinished game.

Probably because the development has tons of issues that at the end Sony forced they release whatever they had (aka rushed).

That is the reason RAD lose Sony support.
They where incapable of making a whole package even with all the time and money they got from Sony.

At the end they could only release a demo.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022

Probably because the development has tons of issues that at the end Sony forced they release whatever they had (aka rushed).

That is the reason RAD lose Sony support.
They where incapable of making a whole package even with all the time and money they got from Sony.

At the end they could only release a demo.

Eh… compared to other action games at the time the length and scope were par for the course. Halo 5 was a worse offender and recycled the same trash boss fight 5x over and was 4 hours long.

Order had strong enough gunplay that a PvP mode would’ve given it some longevity.

But cover shooters can die off forever for all I care at this point. I’ve mentioned it many times before… but remnant 2 embarrasses every tps that came before it.

It would be a sequel in name. IPs without its creators ain’t worth shit.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Game was announced in 2013 and it was delayed for almost a year in 2014. So much about Sony didn't allow them additional year

So, no, it wasn't. Go check Ready At Dawn video about the Order. Game was very polished from top to bottom. That isn't a rushed game.
Additional year compared to when it was released, are you just playing dumb? Anyone that played the game knows it was rushed and the tech and ideas that were there could've been used to create a way more complete game if they had additional time and backing from Sony like a lot of their internal studio got.

Pretty much any game released since then that looks as good or better than that took about as much if not much longer to be develop.

Ninja Theory for example will have a 7 year gap between the first and second Hellblade games.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Additional year compared to when it was released, are you just playing dumb?

LOL. Game was slated for 2014 and delayed for a year in 2014. Read what i've said. @Gamernyc78 i was warned for name calling, do the same for others
Anyone that played the game knows it was rushed and the tech and ideas that were there could've been used to create a way more complete game if they had additional time and backing from Sony like a lot of their internal studio got.

I've played and it isn't rushed. Graphics, gunplay, everything was polished. But game was short and have a gameplay issues. That's why it scored low. It wasn't rushed at all.

Ninja Theory for example will have a 7 year gap between the first and second Hellblade games

Ninja Theory is a small team, even smaller that RAD it was at the time i think.

Of course, ending suggested a sequel. But game wasn't rushed. But game itself has a gameplay issues.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
LOL. Game was slated for 2014 and delayed for a year in 2014. Read what i've said. @Gamernyc78 i was warned for name calling, do the same for others

I've played and it isn't rushed. Graphics, gunplay, everything was polished. But game was short and have a gameplay issues. That's why it scored low. It wasn't rushed at all.

Ninja Theory is a small team, even smaller that RAD it was at the time i think.

Of course, ending suggested a sequel. But game wasn't rushed. But game itself has a gameplay issues.
Listen I do not need you to tell me how to mod. When I see it it gets a warning and/or a convo. We are not omnipresent.

And yes @Nhomnhom be careful how you word tjinhs because although I know you "aren't" calling him a name ppl get offended by remarks such as those.

Thanks.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Eh… compared to other action games at the time the length and scope were par for the course. Halo 5 was a worse offender and recycled the same trash boss fight 5x over and was 4 hours long.

Order had strong enough gunplay that a PvP mode would’ve given it some longevity.

But cover shooters can die off forever for all I care at this point. I’ve mentioned it many times before… but remnant 2 embarrasses every tps that came before it.

It would be a sequel in name. IPs without its creators ain’t worth shit.
I'm not sure what you guys saw in The Other at all because it was like a rushed demo.
It only introduced the game to the player and cut everything else.

- There is just a single boss big wolf with laughable mechanics.
- Enemy variety is non existent.
- The history doesn't move until the end when it start and well the game end.
- There is no character development (well it doesn't have time for that).

It was clearly an unfinished game and that is why I call it a Demo with only the intro of the game.

FFXVI demo is more of game with begin, middle and ending with enemies variety and bosses than The Other.
And it is that.. the chapter 1, intro, demo.

RAD didn't create a game but they were so fucked with their own management issues that delivered a tech demo.... and people ask why Sony was mad?
I'm sure RAD had planned a lot more for The Other but could not reach their own goals.
There is really something very interesting in the game if it continued after the introduction of the story.

What it could have been is a consolation prize I don't drink... for me it is what it is... a good presentation demo that introduces the game... but really bad as game... 4/10 as game.

PS. And I was disappointed even paying $8 for the game lol I thought it was not worth after end it.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Ending suggested that it was only an introduction / chapter 1... and lacked a lot of chapters... so unfinished.
It needed to be a game to suggest a sequel.

In simple terms it didn't lack a sequel but the rest of the game.

It had way more issues than just gameplay.
BTW in gameplay terms the gunplay was fine, the weapons too... it needed more enemies, situations (environments and places) and bosses that used that gunplay.
It needed to be more than a intro / demo.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
a Director's Cut remade in the Decima Engine or in Unreal Engine 5 for the PS5 with hours of additional story and a multiplayer mode, this has the potential to be one of Sony's main singleplayer franchises, the lore and the universe of this game is insane
order1886_zag3.1280.jpg
Their engine is probably much better than Decima

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Ending suggested that it was only an introduction / chapter 1... and lacked a lot of chapters... so unfinished.

Of course it is unfinished. Story was set for a sequel. You know, there is a story roadmap when developers are planning how to turn a IP into franchise. :/ Same you can say that first Horizon is unfinished because OBVIOUS ending. The Order 1886 as a game itself is finished, not rushed.

BTW in gameplay terms the gunplay was fine, the weapons too.

I've said in few of previous posts gunplay is fine. But game has a gameplay issues. QTE was one of them, it is so flawed, especially during one boss battle.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I'm not sure what you guys saw in The Other at all because it was like a rushed demo.
It only introduced the game to the player and cut everything else.

- There is just a single boss big wolf with laughable mechanics.
- Enemy variety is non existent.
- The history doesn't move until the end when it start and well the game end.
- There is no character development (well it doesn't have time for that).

It was clearly an unfinished game and that is why I call it a Demo with only the intro of the game.

FFXVI demo is more of game with begin, middle and ending with enemies variety and bosses than The Other.
And it is that.. the chapter 1, intro, demo.

RAD didn't create a game but they were so fucked with their own management issues that delivered a tech demo.... and people ask why Sony was mad?
I'm sure RAD had planned a lot more for The Other but could not reach their own goals.
There is really something very interesting in the game if it continued after the introduction of the story.

What it could have been is a consolation prize I don't drink... for me it is what it is... a good presentation demo that introduces the game... but really bad as game... 4/10 as game.

PS. And I was disappointed even paying $8 for the game lol I thought it was not worth after end it.
I saw great gameplay when there was some, great graphics/atmosphere and dope weapons. It's drawback was lack of gameplay and QTE repetitive wolf fights but it definitely had some good moments and I enjoyed playing it.

Easily a 7.5/10 for me which could have easily been a 9/10 had they added more gameplay and dope boss fights.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
The lore is there along with the world building sadly they lacked in the gameplay as well as the length. If they even try to resurrect the IP it can no longer be a cover shooter, the setting and theme is absolutely fantastic and they can incorporate the Cthulhu and other Lovecraftian myths too. Someday a competent CEO will take over and realize that they do have a blockbuster IP on their hands reboot this

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
The lore is there along with the world building sadly they lacked in the gameplay as well as the length. If they even try to resurrect the IP it can no longer be a cover shooter, the setting and theme is absolutely fantastic and they can incorporate the Cthulhu and other Lovecraftian myths too. Someday a competent CEO will take over and realize that they do have a blockbuster IP on their hands reboot this
yes, but that's something they can correct with a Director's Cut, The Order has potential not only in gaming but on TV Show/Adaptations too

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
yes, but that's something they can correct with a Director's Cut, The Order has potential not only in gaming but on TV Show/Adaptations too
I'm with you on the TV show adoption, it would be great if done right.