The PS1 Launched in North America 27 Years ago today!

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
September 9th, 1995 PlayStation made their Debut in North America a whopping 27 years ago. I was only 1 at the time.
i make s sometimes sony playstation GIF

What were your favorite memories from not only the PS1 but PlayStation as general as this was the debut of the brand over here!
20 days later on September 29th, 1995 The PS1 would release in EU and exactly 5 years later the PS One launched on that same day in 2000 in EU as well.
The system would last in production until 2006!
Also earlier in 1995 the system would be famous for this one line

Today is also the 8 year Anniversary of the White PS4 Destiny Bundle in North America! On September 9th, 2014 The white PS4 would debut in North America with the destiny bundle!

Also it is one year since the last PlayStation Showcase on September 9th, 2021 so the today is also the one year anniversary for the reveal of Spider-man 2 and Wolverine!

Also What's a Dreamcast?
Sonic The Hedgehog Sanic Hegehog GIF

Last edited:
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
(bonus question) is 2022 just a repeat of 2013?
GTA V on PS5
The Last of Us on PS5
A new God of War
A new Saints Row
A new Pokémon
A new Fire Emblem
A new Gran Turismo
Guerilla games release a game on a new Sony console (Killzone on PS4, Horizon on PS5)
a possible rerelease of Wind Waker HD on Switch?

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I was 7 at that time and my father bought it for me with my brother early 1996.
nice, I was an N64 kid since my parents got my brother an N64 in 1997 when I was 3 but I have been replaying a lot of PS1 classics I missed on my vita!

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
the fact that the PSP is 17 and a half here in North America is pretty mind blowing. I can remember that when it first released
True! I got it on release date :) incredible little console!

Then my brother proceeded to destroy it... I had it with custom firmware, played a lot of Gameboy and Snes Roms there!

Reactions: RE4-Station
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
True! I got it on release date :) incredible little console!

Then my brother proceeded to destroy it... I had it with custom firmware, played a lot of Gameboy and Snes Roms there!
The psp was just ahead of its time, one of the most mind blowing experiences I have ever had was seeing gta liberty city stories running on this little machine

24 Jun 2022
I forgot the PS1 and Dreamcast share the same birthday!

Anyway, amazing console, then and now. The influx of once Japan-only games that have finally been getting translated (e.g Planet Laika, which I demand EVERYONE play at least once or at least try to, the PoPoLocrois games, Racing Lagoon, Ilbard, etc.) are just opening up the library that much more for both people already in love with the library and those who are interested in the hidden gems.

Sony may've benefited to some extend from the balls-out bad decisions from Nintendo and especially Sega that generation, but I think even if both did things correct, PS1 likely would've still taken that gen, albeit maybe not as runaway a gap. It was generally the easiest of the three to program for, had the lowest licensing fees, and a parent company with the best global distribution network out of the bunch as well as the best SDK support out of the gate.

That was always going to be a winning combination in one way or another, I do just wish Nintendo and Sega had more of their ducks in order. Regardless, for me PS1 is definitely the best console of that gen all things considered, and I'd put the Saturn a comfortable 2nd and N64 somewhere in 3rd when looking at how the libraries of the systems hold up today. And PS1's easily in my Top 5 consoles of all time (joining the SNES/SFC, Saturn, PS2 & PS3).

My favorite console of all time

It was my 1st jump from 2D gaming to 3D gaming. It was a whole new world

Happy Fresh Prince GIF by Nick At Nite

Same here, tho I didn't get a PS1 till '98. But I went to a friend's house to ply DB GT, Tekken 2 and other games the year before, so that's when I first actually played one regularly.

It's probably not my first time playing 3D games in total tho because my dad would take me to an arcade earlier on and of course there were 3D games there. But all of that was a huge jump up from Genesis, and PS1 was the first time I ever played 3D in home.

Reactions: RE4-Station
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I forgot the PS1 and Dreamcast share the same birthday!

Anyway, amazing console, then and now. The influx of once Japan-only games that have finally been getting translated (e.g Planet Laika, which I demand EVERYONE play at least once or at least try to, the PoPoLocrois games, Racing Lagoon, Ilbard, etc.) are just opening up the library that much more for both people already in love with the library and those who are interested in the hidden gems.

Sony may've benefited to some extend from the balls-out bad decisions from Nintendo and especially Sega that generation, but I think even if both did things correct, PS1 likely would've still taken that gen, albeit maybe not as runaway a gap. It was generally the easiest of the three to program for, had the lowest licensing fees, and a parent company with the best global distribution network out of the bunch as well as the best SDK support out of the gate.

That was always going to be a winning combination in one way or another, I do just wish Nintendo and Sega had more of their ducks in order. Regardless, for me PS1 is definitely the best console of that gen all things considered, and I'd put the Saturn a comfortable 2nd and N64 somewhere in 3rd when looking at how the libraries of the systems hold up today. And PS1's easily in my Top 5 consoles of all time (joining the SNES/SFC, Saturn, PS2 & PS3).

Same here, tho I didn't get a PS1 till '98. But I went to a friend's house to ply DB GT, Tekken 2 and other games the year before, so that's when I first actually played one regularly.

It's probably not my first time playing 3D games in total tho because my dad would take me to an arcade earlier on and of course there were 3D games there. But all of that was a huge jump up from Genesis, and PS1 was the first time I ever played 3D in home.
Dream what? Is that some sort of fishing rod controller for the PS2?

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
My favorite console of all time

It was my 1st jump from 2D gaming to 3D gaming. It was a whole new world

Happy Fresh Prince GIF by Nick At Nite
I too young to have witness this. I was 8 years old in 2002 when I got a Gameboy advance and had a handheld all to my self and always thought 2d games were for handheld and 3d were for home consoles.

The DS and PSP blew my mind when I realized I could play 3d games on the go.

I never had an SNES until 2014 and found out about it around 2002 in the trophy room in Super Smash Bros Melee and family were gifted a NES around that time but it was most likely 2003ish.

I have very blurry memories of playing Pacman on tv on an atari before we got an N64 in 97 but I always thought games were 3d as Super Mario 64 was one of the first games I played.

• fire
Reactions: Hobbygaming