The PS1 Launched in North America 27 Years ago today!

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Lol no. I do quite like Dreamcast as well, even if PS1 is overall the better system of the two.

Would make for some awkward birthday parties with them both being at the same place tho 😆
Its weird how dreamcasts birthday is mostly celebrated on September 9th but nobody celebrates the November 27th, 1998 release date in Japan. Dreamcast turns 25 next year and was made by a Japanese company but its north American release is the one remembered. Everybody will be celebrating the 25 anniversary of the North American release of the dreamcast in 2024 tho. 9/9/99

Most fans celebrate the PS1s December 3rd 1994 release date and same with the nes/Famicom, Nintendo celebrated the Famicom 30th anniversary in 2013 and didn't celebrate the nes 30th anniversary in 2015 and instead used it for super Mario bros 1.

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
It was cooler when it was known as PSX
Just imagine the confusion! 😂
GIF by Achievement Hunter

Especially from this guy above.

• haha
Reactions: Satoru and Nym
24 Jun 2022
Its weird how dreamcasts birthday is mostly celebrated on September 9th but nobody celebrates the November 27th, 1998 release date in Japan. Dreamcast turns 25 next year and was made by a Japanese company but its north American release is the one l remembered. Everybody will be celebrating the 25 anniversary of the North American release of the dreamcast in 2024 tho. 9/9/99

Most fans celebrate the PS1s December 3rd 1994 release date and same with the nes/Famicom, Nintendo celebrated the Famicom 30th anniversary in 2013 and didn't celebrate the nes 30th anniversary in 2015 and instead used it for super Mario bros 1.

Well, the reason I think is because Dreamcast more or less died in Japan by March 2000, when the PS2 was released. I still remember reading about the PS2 launch in magazines like EGM and it was just insane. Nearly 1 million units in only two days, I think it took Dreamcast multiple months to reach that number (and the early shortages due to SH4 shortages didn't help, nor did Saturn's somewhat stable popularity in Japan as a 2nd-place console by the time Dreamcast released).

The Japanese support also kind of dried up for Dreamcast shortly after PS2's launch in Japan, meaning the Japanese support was going to be pretty limited in NA and Europe too. Namco only really did one big game for Dreamcast. Capcom supported the platform a ton but most of those games were PS1 ports with upres'd graphics, or mid-tier fighting games (Project Justice 2, Tech Romancer etc.). In terms of AAA they only really had Code: Veronica for the system. Most of Dreamcast's Japanese support was really either PS1 ports or mid-tier AA-style releases like D2, Illbleed etc and a lot of those from lesser-known studios. Sucks, but it was what it was.

OTOH lots of strong Western support came in to fill some of those gaps...excusing EA. Ready 2 Rumble might've been a port but it looked a generational difference on Dreamcast vs. say Dino Crisis on DC compared to the PS1 version. They also got some big Western AAA exclusives at least for a while like the only console port of Quake 3. I feel like Dreamcast's time on the market mirrored Genesis/MegaDrive's early years TBH. The only difference (problem), tho, is Dreamcast never got its Sonic the Hedgehog moment. That was supposed to be Shenmue but I don't think Sega ever considered that the game wouldn't have been to tastes of most Western gamers at the time. They probably should've gone for GTA3 as a timed exclusive and I think there was even a rumor that they could've done it but things never got to that point and the rest is history.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Man... I was like 13 years old... played tons of JRPG... loved each new game released in that wonderful machine.

It put N64 on box for most of time... I just setup it when some good release happened like OoT, StartFox 64, Mario 64, etc... while PS1 was turned on every single possible day.

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
I too young to have witness this. I was 8 years old in 2002 when I got a Gameboy advance and had a handheld all to my self and always thought 2d games were for handheld and 3d were for home consoles.

The DS and PSP blew my mind when I realized I could play 3d games on the go.

I never had an SNES until 2014 and found out about it around 2002 in the trophy room in Super Smash Bros Melee and family were gifted a NES around that time but it was most likely 2003ish.

I have very blurry memories of playing Pacman on tv on an atari before we got an N64 in 97 but I always thought games were 3d as Super Mario 64 was one of the first games I played.
At least you still got to experience some older games, nice!!