The PS5 accounts for 47% of all home consoles sold this year in UK

Unchained

5 Dec 2022

PlayStation 5 sales continue to accelerate in the UK on the back of its new £399 price point.

The deal started two weeks ago and had an immediate impact, with console sales jumping by 75% in that first week. Now into the second week and sales continue to climb, with PS5 units up 59% (revenue is up 51%). Last week was the biggest week of the year so far for PS5 sales in the UK.

The data is courtesy of GfK.

The Standard PS5 SKU is now up 511% compared with the week before the promotions began. The Standard PS5 accounted for 92% of the total number of PS5 consoles sold last week.

So far this year, PS5 unit sales are 73% up for the first 31 weeks of the year, and represents 47% of all home consoles sold this year (whereas this time last year, PS5 accounted for 31% of the market).

We have positioned the accelerated penetration of PS5 hardware as one of the highest priorities in this fiscal year, and we will try to work steadily to implement necessary measures to achieve hardware sales target. Towards the end of the calendar year, the first party title, Marvel Spider-Man 2, and major third-party titles are scheduled to be released as well. And we expect that the entire gaming industry and the PS platform will be greatly energized."

He adds: "By regions, currently in Japan, the sales is strong, and the same holds true for Asia. And about North America, the response to the promotion is quite favorable. In United Kingdom, it’s a bit weak, but Europe as a whole has been performing quite well."

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
If sony ends up having 80 percent of the "high end market," I wonder if the EA's and Ubisofts of the world make ultimatums with Microsoft to go to an 80/20 revenue split like Activsion did? I can only imagine what Japanese publishers would ask for.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Wow, Jimbo and Hermen showing that they are 'incompetent' again. Like every time they show numbers, they are killing it.

Excellent, did anyone see that Sony projects something like 32 to 33 Billion in revenue for PlayStation this year?
Are you sure? That sounds insane. But hey, if they get close to their 25M consoles in a FY target I assume they can achieve it.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
What are the big games this holiday season? Spider man 2, COD, and Assassins' creed? Am i missing anything else?

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
So the Switch counts after all.
I deliberately ignored that one because its not on playstaton and i honestly dont think its going to be a big deal sales wise in terms of console. Maybe PC but i feel like Baldur's gate kind of stole alot of its thunder.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I deliberately ignored that one because its not on playstaton and i honestly dont think its going to be a big deal sales wise in terms of console. Maybe PC but i feel like Baldur's gate kind of stole alot of its thunder.
I edit it out, I don't think September count's as holiday season does it?

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
What are the big games this holiday season? Spider man 2, COD, and Assassins' creed? Am i missing anything else?
They have the marketing for Avatar from Ubisoft too.

Alan Wake 2 is another one I'm hoping it's a big success. Looks awesome.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Wow, Jimbo and Hermen showing that they are 'incompetent' again. Like every time they show numbers, they are killing it.

Are you sure? That sounds insane. But hey, if they get close to their 25M consoles in a FY target I assume they can achieve it.

Yeah, it's slightly over 4 trillion yen projected in the financials that were released. I saw Derek Strickland tweeted it with a screen.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Mortal Kombat is out this year, isn't it. Should be good for ten million when all is said and done.

Reactions: Sircaw