The real studio Sony needs to buy

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
The IP really carried Hogwarts. I remain totally unconvinced that that studio is actually good. That said, they did make me actually think about the characters in a Harry Potter fan fiction game so I give them props for that.
Nah hogwarts was just great

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
The real studio Sony needs to buy is both affordable and would make for amazing games. Would be great for the industry.

The answer to that is:

Level-5

Combined with Asobi, they would be the Studio Ghibli of video games.

I'd love to see them do a 3D reboot of Alundra with shades of Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy, and Breath of the Wild.

Level-5 wouldn't cost nearly as much as say FromSoftware or CDPR, but would give Asobi and Sony an answer to Zelda but a little bit more dark and mature, while maintaining a specific type of style.
Fromsoft, Level 5 & Arc system work should’ve been acquired back in 2020/2022 when MS bought Zenimax & ABK.

Knowing Sony/PS leadership they bought 3 studios for 5 billion that 2 have imploded (Bungie & Firewalk) & Nixxes that diminish the PS business for short term & small profit & growth. Also studios like Firesprite & Neon Koi have no output precedent nor ip outside Bungie. Mind you for just 3 & maybe pushing higher 3 Sony could’ve bought Kadokawa/Fromsoft & bolster not only PS but Sony on anime/manga production but also fromsoft & chunksoft aswell as Arc which would’ve given PS a fighting studio to work on a Demon Slayer fighters game like DBZ fighter & rebooted PS allstars. Level 5 could revive PS jrpg franchises like Wild Arms, Legend of Dragoon, Rogue Galaxy, Dark Cloud etc a great & underrated studio that had financial problem (I would not be surprised if Nintendo acquired them, that would be tragic for PS) & given the weak yen PS could produce jrpgs for very cheap & extract big profits not only in Japan but Europe & US

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I wish they would buy vanillaware or atlus from sega
Bruh to think Sony could’ve acquired Fromsoft, Atlus, Level 5, Capcom & Square Enix but Sony leadership are nothing more then complacent & pussy to make such acquisitions. SONY & PS doesn’t have a history of making good acquisitions personally they should be more gun ho because they really need the ip & the studios to gain scale as MS & Nintendo has massively double down on output & PS is massively lacking in first party studios for output & ip. The gun ho acquisition PS has made have all been lackluster, acquiring studios that don’t have ip or cadence/history w PS has turn to be a bad idea.

Another acquisition that would be good even thoe it would be more mobile focus but can still benefit PS user by porting there mobile games to PS are Halfbrick games (Fruit ninja & Jet Pack Joyride) & Ninja Kiwi (Bloons TD) there’s not many larger mobile studios that Sony could buy there’s many prominent Chinese mobile studios but not sure how that would work but also Korean/Japanese mobile studios to make gacha anime game like making a Demon slayer open world gacha, The Boys open world gacha, inFAMOUS open world gacha etc or look at making turn base rpgs like Honkai Starrail from Hoyoverse

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Vanillaware is independent amd not owned by any company.
Vanillaware are the creators of Unicorn Overlords? They hate PC because of mods don’t they? 😂😭 yeah we need a studio like them that would slap some sense into Sony/PS leadership that they can be successful without the need of PC + not needing to diminish there platform or games/ip for small profits/growth especially for the games that they make which are more niche console/asia focus on a platform like PC where PC gamers don’t care about

Stonehorn81

20 Sep 2024
God no, not Level 5. 15 years ago? Sure. Not today.

Personally, I don’t want Sony to buy anyone. Consolidation is bad for any industry.

If I had to choose one to buy, it would be FromSoft, but as I understand, Bandai Namco has first right of refusal on them if they do sell, and Bandai would never let anyone else scoop them up.

I would rather see them buy some IP. Castlevania, Metal Gear, Konami could be swayed.

But Level 5…. They haven’t made anything interesting in forever. Ni No Kuni maybe? That was what, 15 years ago?

Stonehorn81

20 Sep 2024
How about instead of buying studios, they build a new one from the ground up with a stellar development team and create new AAA unique and fun SP games.
Exactly. You can’t buy greatness. Most of these companies are ships of Theseus. They carry the studio name, but the talent is long gone.

Create new studios and hire the talent you need.

It’s why I have no faith in BioWare or Blizzard anymore. The talent that made those studios what they were is long gone.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
oh hey what do you know Level-5 has a new game announced, no Sony purchase needed
image.png

"maybe wait a while, ok?"
image.png

Supported Platforms: Secret
Release Date: Won't Tell
Price: Appropriate
image.png

OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
How about instead of buying studios, they build a new one from the ground up with a stellar development team and create new AAA unique and fun SP games.

Tell me you've never recruited or hired for any roles without telling me you've never recruited or hire for any roles.

• haha
Reactions: KvallyX
OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Personally, I don’t want Sony to buy anyone. Consolidation is bad for any industry.

If I had to choose one to buy, it would be FromSoft, but as I understand, Bandai Namco has first right of refusal on them if they do sell, and Bandai would never let anyone else scoop them up.

Sometimes consolidation is bad and other times you give the opportunity for studios to work on games they otherwise couldn't and you give them some financial stability.

Buying FromSoftware is an example of the consolidation you're talking about. It would also likely remove souls games from Xbox and delay them on PC.

You understand Bandai Namco has the right of first refusal? LOL, you literally just made that up. Tencent and Sony have already acquired large chunks of the company.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I honestly don't that Sony will acquire Fromsoftware. Miyazaki is in his early 50s and if he retires, welp then Fromsoftware will lose its magic. He is the maestro, without him we get creations like Dark Souls 2.
Sony will probably fund some games to get exclusive SoulsBorne for PS. Cheaper and less risk than buying Fromsoftware with a potential retirement of Miyazaki.

OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Japan Studios was gutted to create Team Asobi.

Sony should buy Level 5 and gut them too?

They can probably reduce size to what is necessary to work with Asobi, but what Sony gutted was mostly producers rather than development staff.

Games built with the help of xdev are still produced by by host companies, which is fine.

• haha
Reactions: KvallyX

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
They can probably reduce size to what is necessary to work with Asobi, but what Sony gutted was mostly producers rather than development staff.

Games built with the help of xdev are still produced by by host companies, which is fine.

Seriously?

Buy a studio then gut them?

Wouldn’t it just be better to create a new studio?