The same people crying about FFXVI praised The Witcher 3 and that’s pure hypocrisy.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Combat on TW3 is pure trash
The sidequests on TW3 are really very MMO-like, pure fetch quests
The game’s writing is nothing really to write home about
It has a good open world but it’s largely empty and the cities are the best part of it
Story is whatever and adapts stuff that happens on the books, despite taking place after them.

FFXVI has way better gameplay
Sidequests are fetchquests, yes, but they tell own stories and lots of them have progression and good payoffs
The story itself is very good and takes unexpected turns.

Avoid spoilers ITT, please.

The hate on ff16 is pure console war, isn’t it? There’s nothing else that justifies it.
If this were on xsx, it would be praised to heavens, no doubt about it.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Witcher 3 combat is stiff compared to FFXVI but quests and side quests, hell even Witcher contracts run circles over all AAA RPGs let alone FFXVI.

And at the end of the day, we are comparing a 2015 game vs a 2023 one. All AAA RPG studios had to surpass the standards set by TW3 and so far, they failed.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Witcher has lame combat but has way better characters, overall narrative, much more interesting game worlds and actual effort put into sidequests.

It’s not like ff16’s combat is that great either. Feels great with the inputs and the game is carried by combat but lacks enemy variety or challenge. So as an action game it’s kinda mid too especially following Ragnarok which does both action and rpg better than FF16.

I cannot put FF16 in the same league at all as a fantasy adventure game. Not even close. Witcher 3 blows it out the fucking water.

Reactions: Johnic

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
The Witcher 3 doesn't hook me that much because all most of the side quests is just fetch quests and the main story drag on too long, the shitty combat doesn't help. But that is just subjective

But probably because it on all platforms, has deep sale, DRMless so maybe it got more people likings?

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Witcher 3 has a world that feels alive, as opposed to corridors in XVI. Even destroying monster nests is more interesting than a fetch quest in XVI.

FF just doesn't capture my attention. It's good leading up to a major event but then drops off for a few hours. The pacing's a bit off.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Final Fantasy is one of the games Ive seen get the most biased hate.

-Too many Cutscenes.
After some fans complained about FF15’s cinematic style walking and talking, or dialogue while combat style story telling, I was surprised FF16 got so much hate for having too many cutscenes.

Final Fantasy and most JRPG’s have long segments of characters standing around and talking for hours and hours for the story to progress. Either in dialogue boxes or voice acting. Standing still….These long conversations that have been around since Final Fantasy 4 and over JRPG’s.

But they decided instead of standing still and pressing X for the dialogue to comtinue, they did In- game cutscenes, which they had before anyway…... I we really complaining not pressing X for dialogue to continue.

What do you want then? Do you want them to stand and read out dialogue for 20minutes like all old JRPG’s? While you press X.
A comic strip style of story progression like Max Payne? Either way story has to progress when your not really playing, unless you want FF15 style Which they already tried.

-Combat
This game gets more complaints about the combat then FF15. And its miles better. FF12 wasn’t traditional either, neither was 11 or 14. All of those are mainline Final Fantasys. FF16 has better combat than all these that I have mentioned, but gets more criticism over it.

Its miles better than Witcher 3’s combat too. I really couldn't stand the combat in Witcher 3 and I would of preferred if they carried on the Witcher 1 and 2 style. If we’re talking actual gameplay, as in combat. Final Fantasy’s 16 combat is way better than Witcher 3’s combat and tis not even close.

-Its too Medieval
Have you played Final Fantasy?
Yes there not all as grounded as FF16 but we’re talking about a Series that can look futuristic like FF13 and FFX, which look nothing like classic FF, and then you get other entries much more Medieval inspired Fantasy like FF11, FF Tactics or FF5 in.

-Pacing
Jesus have you played Final Fantasy 6. Its one of the best but no1 can complain about pacing in gaming like Uncharted 4 or Final Fantasy 16 if you played older games lol

-Story - Side Quests.
I love the Story in FF. And I get its subjective. Its not like all Final Fantasy’s, WRPG and JRPG’s have stories miles better than FF16. Its one of the best JRPG’s stories in my opinion. Good characters, interesting use of Summons, Great moments and twist. Awesome music to go with it.
Outisde of side quests, FF16’s main story is way more memorable than Witcher 3.

Side quest wise. Theres some bad ones. But theres some great ones too. Most people can’t give me good examples of great Side Quests outside of Witcher 3 and CyberPunk.

Witcher 3’s strongest point is its side quests, they did an Amazing job With those it seems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Box

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Witcher 3 has a world that feels alive, as opposed to corridors in XVI. Even destroying monster nests is more interesting than a fetch quest in XVI.

FF just doesn't capture my attention. It's good leading up to a major event but then drops off for a few hours. The pacing's a bit off.
Different style really. Witcher 3 is alot more open world. Most Final Fantasy’s arent until later on in the games.

Combat wise, which is pure gameplay, Witcher 3 just wasnt my cup of tea and FF16 in my opinion is way better. So for me, playing it is way more interesting. Side quests of course in Witcher 3 but there are a great few in FF16 later in the game, but alot of typical bad fetch quests too.

But the main story I got to give to FF16. I Love the characters in Witcher 3 and the world, especially since I played Witcher 1 and was a big fan ( bought day 1, with artbook etc). But I really enjoyed the FF16’s main story.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The Witcher 3 doesn't hook me that much because all most of the side quests is just fetch quests and the main story drag on too long, the shitty combat doesn't help. But that is just subjective

But probably because it on all platforms, has deep sale, DRMless so maybe it got more people likings?

Witcher 3 has some great side quests too. But yeah I agree about the combat lol

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Combat on TW3 is pure trash
The sidequests on TW3 are really very MMO-like, pure fetch quests
The game’s writing is nothing really to write home about
It has a good open world but it’s largely empty and the cities are the best part of it
Story is whatever and adapts stuff that happens on the books, despite taking place after them.

FFXVI has way better gameplay
Sidequests are fetchquests, yes, but they tell own stories and lots of them have progression and good payoffs
The story itself is very good and takes unexpected turns.

Avoid spoilers ITT, please.

The hate on ff16 is pure console war, isn’t it? There’s nothing else that justifies it.
Witcher 3 combat was so trash I didn't finish it. Ff16 combat isn't great imo but much much better, it's good. For as restrictive as FF is I prefer it over Witcher 3 by a mile.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

If this was on PC or PC/XBX it would no doubt get way less hate.

Yes there are some traditional fans complaining about combat, but even then, its way more hate than FF15 which was also not traditional combat and way worse. So that doesnt make sense. No1 can say FF15 has better combat than FF16.

New FF’s tend to get hate from previous fans, FF7 did from FF6 fans, FF8 from FF7 fans. But this time its way more and alot of console war/pc pointless hate. FF16 is best Final Fantasy since FF12 or FFX at the least. Square back on track

OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

What world that feels alive? The characters are doing the same things all the time. There’s nothing about that. Automated repetitive routines. It’s really bad at stimulation. At least FF16 doesn’t pretend it and it’s not integral to the game. RDR2 shits all over it.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
What world that feels alive? The characters are doing the same things all the time. There’s nothing about that. Automated repetitive routines. It’s really bad at stimulation. At least FF16 doesn’t pretend it and it’s not integral to the game. RDR2 shits all over it.
I mean Novigrad looks pretty alive, but compared to something like Saint Denis, well that wouldn't age well.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
EDIT: Actually, the story's not the only thing that keeps me going. It's the setting/atmosphere as well. The same thing that kept me going through FF XV. It's just that the potential of XV was never fulfilled, while XVI does a pretty good job with that. It doesn't shy away from spectacle.

Doesn't matter if it's an automated routine. It makes the world feel lived in. Real. Rotting battlefields, small villages and massive cities all feel connected. You get the sense of cohesion and an actual world.

FF feels like a bunch of corridors with no connectivity. The towns/villages feel...sterile? I don't get the sense of an actual living world. It's not just XVI. I miss the open world exploration that we lost after FF IX. using a ship to go wherever you want. Sure, the overworld map back then was empty and bland but it gave you a sense of exploration. Nothing like stumbling across a secret out in the open world.

The only thing that keeps me going is the story. Gameplay's an improvement over FXV but it gets stale rather quickly, especially if you go for side quests and fight a lot. The again, you could argue that selecting the same commands in a turn based system gets old fast.

The only criticism I don't agree with are the cutscenes. Yes, objectively, FF XVI takes control away rather frequently during main quests and some of them last long. But I'm a MG fan so that's my thing, especially since they're done well.

Last edited:

lupumSolitarius

8 Jul 2023
We don't have to bring down TW3 to make a point about FFXVI. TW3 side quests weren't just "pure fetch quests". There were different outcomes on quests based on player choice. I don't think FFXVI has gotten a lot of hate, it's more people expressing some dissatisfaction with the game. From the outside looking in, it seems to have the Halo 4/5 problem where the creators want to take the series in a direction which a vocal minority aren't vibing with. Stuff like limited companion interaction, party-based combat etc. There are other subjective issues like long cut-scenes(I personally don't like them), less challenging 1st playthrough, questionable level design etc. There are some console war shenanigans but those can largely be ignored.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
The Witcher 3’s combat was considered basic for it’s time. Didn’t move the needle at all for the genre.

FF16 seems to push the style of combat it’s based on forward. The devs didn’t just ape Devil May Cry and call it a day.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Witcher 3 combat is stiff compared to FFXVI but quests and side quests, hell even Witcher contracts run circles over all AAA RPGs let alone FFXVI.

And at the end of the day, we are comparing a 2015 game vs a 2023 one. All AAA RPG studios had to surpass the standards set by TW3 and so far, they failed.

I agree, CD Project Red does some of the best side quests in Gaming. I love the Side Quests in the Witcher and Cyberpunke 2077.

, it seems to have the Halo 4/5 problem where the creators want to take the series in a direction which a vocal minority aren't vibing with.

Yes its a very vocal minority on the internet complaining, go to the FFXVI subreddit and it's overwhelming positive.

The same kind of dorks who want FF to stay a turn based game.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Not sure.

I dropped The Witcher 3 because the combat system was so bad… even the hit box are broken to unbeliever levels.

FFXVI has a way better combat imo.

Said that quest design, characters and characters development are better in The Witcher 3.

To be fair you comparing with a game from 2015… that feels a lot about the situation of FFXVI.

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
this is a terrible take. Only thing lacking in the witcher 3 is combat. Witcher 3 is better then FF 16 in pretty much every where.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
These games came out nearly 8 years apart. Thats equivalent to comparing Donkey Kong to SMB 3. I mean, obviously years mean less now, but game design still does evolve.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Witcher 3 is a Much Much deeper game in every sense barring combat.

Unfortunately I stopped playing it after 40-50 hours.

Got boring for me.

On the other hand I finished FF16.

Last edited: