The Series S/X are getting cheaper while the PS5 is getting more expensive

DarkMage619

Verified Gamepass Reseller
15 Jul 2022
The Series S and X are already being consistently discounted and marked down (probably cause there’s tons of them on the shelves) while the ps5 are still selling out with the stealth price increase of Horizon Bundles.

The series s/x

Ps5

Yup the Series consoles are offering a superior value and those lower prices will certainly make it much easier to reach a wider audience.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Products that don't sell and have stuck stock are selling cheaper.

Products that sell as soon as they hit the stores are charging an additional 50 quid to include a game that's valued at 80 quid.

Yeah, its intersting where both consoles are at this point and what’s perceived to better. I think the demand of the PS5 will continue to exceed the supply for the remainder of the year, especially with God of War coming out soon.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yup the Series consoles are offering a superior value and those lower prices will certainly make it much easier to reach a wider audience.
Cheaper does not mean better value. Value is determined by what you’re getting in exchange for that money. I thought XSX was a poor value because it has nothing worth keeping the system for. So I got rid of it.

The PS5 and switch are MUCH better values than the series consoles at any price, because what they offer you to spend your time on is superior by a large margin. Time is your most valuable asset. Even a free console that offers you nothing but garbage in exchange for your time is a bad value. And that’s where the series consoles currently land.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yeah, its intersting where both consoles are at this point and what’s perceived to better. I think the demand of the PS5 will continue to exceed the supply for the remainder of the year, especially with God of War coming out soon.

Probably throughout next year as well.

For some context, I checked some stores here in Ireland.
  • Gamestop - PS5 not available, Series X and S available both new and used
  • Smyths - PS5 not available, Series X and S available new
  • Curry's PC World - PS5 not available, Series X and S available new
  • CEX - PS5 sold 2nd hand for 725€, they offer 525€ (cash) to take one off your hands. Series X sold 2nd hand for 450€, they offer 328€ (cash) to take one off your hands. Series S sold 2nd hand for 270€, they offer 64€ to take it off your hands (values for Boxed items, PS5 values for Disc version)
The CEX example is actually really cool and shows where demand lies: They will offer you over price of acquisition for a PS5 and sell it for over 700 quid, while the Xbox can go as low as 64 quid, because nobody gives a shit about the Series S.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Probably throughout next year as well.

For some context, I checked some stores here in Ireland.
  • Gamestop - PS5 not available, Series X and S available both new and used
  • Smyths - PS5 not available, Series X and S available new
  • Curry's PC World - PS5 not available, Series X and S available new
  • CEX - PS5 sold 2nd hand for 725€, they offer 525€ (cash) to take one off your hands. Series X sold 2nd hand for 450€, they offer 328€ (cash) to take one off your hands. Series S sold 2nd hand for 270€, they offer 64€ to take it off your hands (values for Boxed items, PS5 values for Disc version)
The CEX example is actually really cool and shows where demand lies: They will offer you over price of acquisition for a PS5 and sell it for over 700 quid, while the Xbox can go as low as 64 quid, because nobody gives a shit about the Series S.

I think Microsoft are currently at a point where they will start to see diminishing returns on the series s now that stock has stabilizied and the pandemic boost is over. It was a nice bump when you couldn't get anything next gen but now that game sales are dropping off thanks to covid restrictions being lifted i dont think the demand will be there.

especially now that actual next gen games are gonna start coming out next year. I dont think anyone is willing to settle when you can get a series x for 400

D

Deleted member 51

I wonder how much of that supply chain, brings out chips that can't hit certain frequencies? Wonder if that's why their supply is still so low compared to Xbox, or is it just a larger grip on that market?

• haha
Reactions: Ezekiel
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I wonder how much of that supply chain, brings out chips that can't hit certain frequencies? Wonder if that's why their supply is still so low compared to Xbox, or is it just a larger grip on that market?

its not low compared to xbox, the ps5 is still outselling it and increasing production 3 fold from now until March. Theres just far more series S being made than series x which isn't as in demand

DarkMage619

Verified Gamepass Reseller
15 Jul 2022
Cheaper does not mean better value. Value is determined by what you’re getting in exchange for that money. I thought XSX was a poor value because it has nothing worth keeping the system for. So I got rid of it.

The PS5 and switch are MUCH better values than the series consoles at any price, because what they offer you to spend your time on is superior by a large margin. Time is your most valuable asset. Even a free console that offers you nothing but garbage in exchange for your time is a bad value. And that’s where the series consoles currently land.
Price is one component of value. Xbox also has superior backwards compatibility, offers more flexibility with digital game purchases and 3rd party peripherals, and their game sub services have features PlayStation services lack. I also appreciate not having to pay for quality of life features like cloud saves.

I found its predominantly Sony only fans think Xbox game offerings are 'garbage' which is clearly fanboy nonsense. The general consensus is Game pass with an affordable, available console is a superior value to anything anyone else is doing. Not everyone is willing to pay extra for the privilege of owning a PlayStation.

D

Deleted member 51

its not low compared to xbox, the ps5 is still outselling it and increasing production 3 fold from now until March. Theres just far more series S being made than series x which isn't as in demand
Looking back at ps4 generation, it should be outselling on a bigger margin. Either people have changed their mind on what they like this gen, or supply issue. Can't go both ways

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
Series S has been getting discounted here or there since practically it's launch.

That Target thing is a general student discount program, and isn't going to work on Series X as it isn't sold in store.. and as the post says "YMMV" (your mileage may very.)

It's meant for back to school stuff my guess is the cashier may or may not accept it.

Series S is a big part of the sales story for XBox this gen in general though, just an easy to get/cheap console.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Looking back at ps4 generation, it should be outselling on a bigger margin. Either people have changed their mind on what they like this gen, or supply issue. Can't go both ways

It is a supply issue, i never said it wasn’t you said compared to xbox the playstation is not producing as many units, thats false. PS5 is producing just as many units if not more than the series consoles, there is just no sales discrepancy between the Digital and Physical.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezekiel

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
In the uk series x getting already offers at the £449 price bundles with random stuff. Whilst ps5s are still being sold with expensive bundles and Amazon still running invite system
to get one.

Remember UK is one of Xboxs biggest market outside USA, Sony are yet to open the floodgates.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Superior value? With old-gen-tech controllers, no VR-gaming support, expensive proprietary storage solution, and 0.5x speed SSDs? Nah.

PS5 offers all that and more, and the DE costs $399 -- $100 less than Series X.

The price cut for Series S and X are primarily because of (relatively) lower demand and an attempt to capture the market as much as possible, because Sony is about to flood the market with PS5s in the next few months.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
That's good stuff.

However Series X is not even available at a single store in the entire Seattle area. Like they don't even stock it.

That deal is mostly for the Series S.

Series X can be ordered online in general now though which is awesome for people who want it.
is it true that it rains none stop in Seattle?

• brain
Reactions: Deleted member 51