The Uncharted Series is Being Rebooted, Leaker Claims

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
uncharted-reboot.jpg

A new report from Theleak.co suggests that the Uncharted Series has been greenlit for a reboot, but won’t be developed by Naughty Dog.

According to The Leak, the series will be handed to an “unknown developer”, but Naughty Dog is expected to initially assist the new team.

By Oct 2019, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End sold 15 million copies (in 4 years). In 2015, Naughty Dog lead game designer Robert Cogburn suggested in an interview with Kotaku that Uncharted 4 was likely the last in the series.

“These games are hard to make. Particularly with a character like Nathan Drake in a world that’s fairly grounded, it’s a challenge to consider how much more we can expand the universe while adhering to those sorts of rules.”, Cogburn said.

“That’s not to say the questions will be the same in games we make going forward, but as a studio we grow tired of answering those same types of questions in the same fiction. It’s gonna be fun for us to really embark on new ideas and start fleshing those out [in a new series].”

The Leak has a generally good track record when it comes to reporting leaks across a number of industries and although Insider Gaming was unable to corroborate the report, we have heard rumblings of something to do with the Uncharted series in the past (but once again could not corroborate this report).

As for when this supposed Uncharted reboot will be announced, is anyone’s guess, but we wouldn’t be surprised if its a few years down the line.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
"Reboot" here probably means a continuation in a new setting. The rumour for a while ago was that we'd have a Sully spin-off, and it would make sense to continue the main Series with Drake's daughter, with Drake filling the Sully role.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
"Reboot" here probably means a continuation in a new setting. The rumour for a while ago was that we'd have a Sully spin-off, and it would make sense to continue the main Series with Drake's daughter, with Drake filling the Sully role.
Definitely a female protagonist.

24 Jun 2022

That's what I'm thinking, and hopefully that's the case. They definitely set things up for Drake's daughter at the end of UC4.

Although part of the quote also sounds like they want to make it more fantastical? Dunno, maybe I'm reading into it wrong. But if they want to make it a bit less grounded, why not take a page from the original Tomb Raider game? You started exploring regular ruins, you ended in a labyrinth made out of pulsating flesh almost right out of a horror film.

Sure it didn't make any sense, but it was cool.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
That's what I'm thinking, and hopefully that's the case. They definitely set things up for Drake's daughter at the end of UC4.

Although part of the quote also sounds like they want to make it more fantastical? Dunno, maybe I'm reading into it wrong. But if they want to make it a bit less grounded, why not take a page from the original Tomb Raider game? You started exploring regular ruins, you ended in a labyrinth made out of pulsating flesh almost right out of a horror film.

Sure it didn't make any sense, but it was cool.

I guess, but I'd rather they keep it grounded. Let Tomb Raider be Tomb Raider.

….

Remakes

Reboots and remakes are not the same thing. GoW 2018 is a reboot set in the same continuity as previous games, for example.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Reboots and remakes are not the same thing. GoW 2018 is a reboot set in the same continuity as previous games, for example.
Well you can call that because they changed gameplay and all but GoW 2018 is a sequel… a direct sequel from the events ended in GoW 3.

After become basically the top God in Greek and one of the few surviving… Kratos isolated itself far way in the Norse region.

That is where GoW 2018 take place.

Reboot is more like what they did with Modern Warfare or if you are from my age StarFox 64 (it is the exactly same game/story rebooted to N64).

GoW (2018) is not a reboot imo… it is a sequel… ERA tried to create “soft reboot” name to say it is a story sequel and gameplay reboot but it is after all GoW 4 except the name… a direct sequel to GoW 3.

Last edited:

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
I guess, but I'd rather they keep it grounded. Let Tomb Raider be Tomb Raider.

I believe in Scream (2022) they refer to it as a "requel", reboot that takes place in the same continuity and continues from the last film

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Well you can call that because they changed gameplay and all but GoW 2018 is a sequel… a direct sequel from the events ended in GoW 3.

After become basically the top God in Greek and one of the few surviving… Kratos isolated itself far way in the Norse region.

That is where GoW 2018 take place.

Reboot is more like what they did with Modern Warfare or if you are from my age StarFox 64 (it is the exactly same game/story rebooted to N64).

GoW (2018) is not a reboot imo… it is a sequel… ERA tried to create “soft reboot” name to say it is a story sequel and gameplay reboot but it is after all GoW 4 except the name… a direct sequel to GoW 3.

Guy that doesn't know what a remake is also doesn't know what a reboot is. Surprising

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I believe in Scream (2022) they refer to it as a "requel", reboot that takes place in the same continuity and continues from the last film

Reboot and remake can take several meanings. A reboot may mean that the franchise starts fresh, like tomb raider, or that the franchise continues in the same continuity but with different elements. A remake can be like for like or a full on remake of the story and core elements. They are very much fluid. Requel is definitely a good description for a reboot in the same continuity.

• Informative
Reactions: Nym

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Guy that doesn't know what a remake is also doesn't know what a reboot is. Surprising

It is not a reboot lol
It is a sequel.

C'mon... you guys twist definition just because devs uses marketing works lol

It is a direct sequel to GoW 3.
Reboots doesn't continue a story sequence of a franchise.... that is why Sequel word exists.

It is not like Tomb Raider 2013 where they literally reboted the series with a entry with no relation to previous games.
GoW 2018 is GoW 4 just not in name... it is a direct sequel... the continuation of Krato's saga.

Anybody that played the game knows that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muddasar