[The Verge] Microsoft may stop marketing of Xbox consoles in EMEA and focus only on Game Pass, Cloud, PC and Xbox Controllers

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
If they aren't going to market consoles in EMEA, what makes people think their next product is going to be a traditional console? How long until they aren't marketing in Asia and South America? How long until they're aren't in North America.

It's been true for a long time, but it becomes clearer by the month that Xbox is dead.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
but it becomes clearer by the month that Xbox is dead.
Star Trek Ok GIF

• Cerny
Reactions: 2spooky5me
26 Nov 2023
Not like they were marketing all that much now in any case. Xbox fans still gonna be delusional sign after sign they’re still gonna find a way to spin this all

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Why are SE and Sega partnering with Xbox as its literally pulling out of markets?

Because they're being paid for marketing partnerships and GamePass in cases. It makes financial sense for them to do these partnerships, especially if they're not getting them from Sony.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
We could say that it's not a big loss for them since they have been almost non-existent in these regions for several years, sales have already been at their lowest for a while so we might as well stop the costs, because outside the USA There's no point in insisting anymore, Sony and Nintendo are too strong for them.

But on the other hand, betting everything on the game pass is a very risky strategy, knowing that they are struggling to bring in new subscribers while keeping existing ones.

Reactions: laynelane

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Why are SE and Sega partnering with Xbox as its literally pulling out of markets?

Because getting bags because a platform holder is desperate for something that isn't too much work(at least relative to how hard most of game development is). It's the same reason why certain publishers took those MASSIVE deals EGS timed exclusive deals back when Epic was really trying to compete with Steam back in 2019-2020.

Besides, Sega and SE make JRPGs as well as a lot of of franchises that perform the best in the US market. That's where all the weebs and Sonic fans are.
This doesn't really affect their sales potential for those versions all that much in the short/medium long term.

Lastly those deals get inked months to something up to a year+ before the games come out.

We could say that it's not a big loss for them since they have been almost non-existent in these regions for several years, sales have already been at their lowest for a while so we might as well stop the costs, because outside the USA There's no point in insisting anymore, Sony and Nintendo are too strong for them.

But on the other hand, betting everything on the game pass is a very risky strategy, knowing that they are struggling to bring in new subscribers while keeping existing ones.

The funny thing is that the whole strategy is kind of counter productive.
From the look of things, XGS is finally looking like they've have more "greater impact" software releasing each FY starting with this year, and this is the time they decide to be flinch and be conservative?

The way they've been have an incoherent strategy since the Series generation begun tells me all I need to know about the decision makers at Xbox and Microsoft and how internal conflict is high and opinions about the future is all over the place.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Because they're being paid for marketing partnerships and GamePass in cases. It makes financial sense for them to do these partnerships, especially if they're not getting them from Sony.
It's bullshit but this statement is true.

So imagine this. You sell your stuff in one store only. You get money for that but not a single cent to sell in the other store. So the other store comes to you and pays YOU to sell your stuff over there. It's free money.

Now there's an argument to be made that a move like that alienates the customers of your original store but we have no numbers to confirm that. It's dumb but it's the way business works.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
This is all due to their forthcoming games being mid as fuck, Spencer went on the shill paradise of kinda funny where he said that Starfield being 11/10 won't make people switch consoles and we saw how midfield turned out. Avowed and Midiana Jones will be another couple of ho hum 7/10 games. Age of Mythology Retold will be their best rated game this year but as much as I like rts games the ship has sailed for mainstream appeal for that genre

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
I still think it might be the first game to make Microsoft bend on the Series S requirement, by offering it as "cloud only" to them, if they buy it.
Well at that point then its harder to even develop for xbox. Learned whiled back that 70-75% of series consoles were the s, so their might be like 5-7 million x consoles out there

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
It's bullshit but this statement is true.

So imagine this. You sell your stuff in one store only. You get money for that but not a single cent to sell in the other store. So the other store comes to you and pays YOU to sell your stuff over there. It's free money.

Now there's an argument to be made that a move like that alienates the customers of your original store but we have no numbers to confirm that. It's dumb but it's the way business works.

I don't think we're looking at exclusivity here, so I wouldn't characterize this as bullshit.

These are just marketing deals and in some cases deals for GamePass.

I don't see anything wrong with these deals. In reality, it helps everyone out.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Is is reasonable to say that the XsX/XsS are doing worse than the WiiU? Or is it only my perception?

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
I really really hope PlayStation are not looking at this and thinking "what a great idea!"

Cause it seems like they want to equal every move Xbox makes this generation.