The Xbox to PS5 migration has begun. Reddit thread deleted but gamers show their disdain for Xbox and wanting to switch to PS5.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
Other companies didn't champion Unions and commit to improving working conditions for employees prior to an acquisition like MS did. You're a fan, a MS fan. We are not going to agree on this. And since I am obviously not making myself clear to you, whether or not a dev sets out to make a good or bad game is not the issue. That they will be unable to make or severely limited in their ability to make good games under MS is the actual argument.
False. MS doesnt tell them what games they can or can't make. MS doesn't interfere with the development of games. If games are bad, its because of the people that made the game. You know, the actually developers?

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
False. MS doesnt tell them what games they can or can't make. MS doesn't interfere with the development of games. If games are bad, its because of the people that made the game. You know, the actually developers?

Yes, yes, it's the developers. No way would MS or Phil make poor decisions. You can tell by the state that Xbox is in today and how far it has fallen since the 360.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
Yes, yes, it's the developers. No way would MS or Phil make poor decisions. You can tell by the state that Xbox is in today and how far it has fallen since the 360.
Yes Phil is the reason Xbox games suck. The man that doesn't tell devs what games to make. The man that hasn't designed a single video game nor have any game dev experience.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Yes Phil is the reason Xbox games suck. The man that doesn't tell devs what games to make. The man that hasn't designed a single video game nor have any game dev experience.
What is the point of being the head of a gaming company if you have zero input into the games? It sounds noble and stoic but it's stupid. "We don't tell engineers what products to make" is profoundly defunct because it eschews all corporate heuristics of product development, understanding customer wants, business needs, etc. Phil sits atop the Xbox pyramid, but lacks either the desire or knowledge to actually provide guidance to creatives based on the myriad of information he receives from non-creatives internally at Xbox, or from external Microsoft sources. That is a failure of management. I would hope that despite not having designed a single game, the CEO of a large gaming company for the past decade would have at least a small idea as to what is good and what works. Doubly so for one who apparently spends hundreds of hours gaming each year.

Reactions: pop and laynelane

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Mass lay offs are everywhere in the gaming industry. That's not unique to Xbox. Xbox just completed a mega gaming deal. Again no devs set out to make bad games. If you want to believe that go ahead. But just know its false :)
phil is that you? 🤣. No need to defend your plastic box because everyone is screaming angrily at your brand right now, so hold that L and move on 🤣🤣🤣.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
What is the point of being the head of a gaming company if you have zero input into the games? It sounds noble and stoic but it's stupid. "We don't tell engineers what products to make" is profoundly defunct because it eschews all corporate heuristics of product development, understanding customer wants, business needs, etc. Phil sits atop the Xbox pyramid, but lacks either the desire or knowledge to actually provide guidance to creatives based on the myriad of information he receives from non-creatives internally at Xbox, or from external Microsoft sources. That is a failure of management. I would hope that despite not having designed a single game, the CEO of a large gaming company for the past decade would have at least a small idea as to what is good and what works. Doubly so for one who apparently spends hundreds of hours gaming each year.
Like i Said thats how xbox operates. They let the proper people make the video games. Phil makes the business decisions of xbox. Why would you want a ceo who has no experience making video games to make video games?

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Why do you say they're refusing to learn? They're always trying to make great games. They didn't spend 80 billion on ips to make them suck. No devs set out to make bad games. So you saying they're refusing makes no sense.

Where are those great games? Starfield "Game of the Generation" is mediocre and not even in par with the already meh Fallout 4, Redfall is a disaster, Forza "Rebuilt from the ground up" Motorsport is using inaccurate car models from Forza 4 and has crappy physics with subpar graphics. They do have some decent games like HiFi Rush and Flight simulator, but that's too little and too niche.

Looking forward, Hell blade 2 looks like the same borefest as the first one, Indiana Jones is shaping up to be a watered down Uncharted clone in first person with terrible graphics, Avowed is a Skyrim clone...

There's zero incentive to invest in their ecosystem and their games.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Bullshit. Starfield, Redfall, HiFi Rush, among others, had their Playstation versions cancelled due to Microsoft meddling. That alone is proof that they do interfere.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Like i Said thats how xbox operates. They let the proper people make the video games. Phil makes the business decisions of xbox. Why would you want a ceo who has no experience making video games to make video games?
And as I said, your argument is completely flawed. To say that the "proper people" to make games are the creatives and the creatives only is not true in the slightest. It takes a holistic management system to ensure all pillars of a business function in tandem. Pretending that Xbox having a creator-centric approach like an Indie developer is a good thing misses out on the fact that Xbox has more capital, resources, and knowledge that are therefore not utilised because creators - shocker here - are not experts on all aspects of an industry. It's impossible to argue that Phil only makes the "business decisions" when those decisions impact the creative decisions. Look at 343's use of contractors and the development issues that caused Halo Infinite, business decision directly impacting the creative. So Phil already directly impacts the making of video games, how can you say he doesn't and shouldn't do so?

I didn't say that I wanted Phil Spencer to be personally making games, I said why do you want Phil Spencer to be in charge of Xbox if his input into game design is minimal? Best counter to what you're arguing is Anthem:

In Kotaku's big expose on Anthem's troubled development, it was revealed that a major feature that we think of now as a core part of the game may never have made it.
That being the ability to fly in Anthem's world. According to the report, Anthem went through several big design changes, and flying was added, removed, and re-added multiple times throughout the game's years-long pre-production phase.
Initially, flying "felt like gliding", with BioWare often struggling to make it fun. Some earlier designs also envisioned it as an ability for just one of the game's exosuits.
It wasn't until Patrick Soderlund, former head of EA studios, was very disappointed in a demo BioWare had shown him in early 2017 that the team decided to add flying back in.
The feature became part of a new demo designed to impress Soderlund, which ended up taking "six weeks of pretty significant crunch", according to the report. Unsurprisingly, the executive was very pleased with the updated demo, and it's that reaction that cemented flying as one of Anthem's greatest assets.
What is regarded as one of the best features of the game was added not as a creative decision that people had a grand vision of, it was added because they needed something and thought executives would go ahead with the project with it included. This illustrates what a positive relationship between executive-creator should be. So again, what is the point of Phil Spencer if he has zero impact on the development of games except as some distant shill? He doesn't need to be in the weeds coding the flying mechanics, but he can still have input. He should have input, because they are the products he oversees.

It's an extremely bizarre perspective because naturally, as evidenced by places such as this forum, people here believe they have ideas as to what would improve games and the industry, yet you're arguing that people should have zero impact? I could have told Bethesda before Starfield launched "hey, 900 empty planets is going to suck" yet that would be interferring I guess? Redfall is the logical conclusion to the position your advocating - shit products being pushed out due to fear of the man who runs the entire company apparently ever having input in what he's stamping his name on.

Last edited:

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
And as I said, your argument is completely flawed. To say that the "proper people" to make games are the creatives and the creatives only is not true in the slightest. It takes a holistic management system to ensure all pillars of a business function in tandem. Pretending that Xbox having a creator-centric approach like an Indie developer is a good thing misses out on the fact that Xbox has more capital, resources, and knowledge that are therefore not utilised because creators - shocker here - are not experts on all aspects of an industry. It's impossible to argue that Phil only makes the "business decisions" when those decisions impact the creative decisions. Look at 343's use of contractors and the development issues that caused Halo Infinite, business decision directly impacting the creative. So Phil already directly impacts the making of video games, how can you say he doesn't and shouldn't do so?

I didn't say that I wanted Phil Spencer to be personally making games, I said why do you want Phil Spencer to be in charge of Xbox if his input into game design is minimal? Best counter to what you're arguing is Anthem:

What is regarded as one of the best features of the game was added not as a creative decision that people had a grand vision of, it was added because they needed something and thought executives would go ahead with the project with it included. This illustrates what a positive relationship between executive-creator should be. So again, what is the point of Phil Spencer if he has zero impact on the development of games except as some distant shill? He doesn't need to be in the weeds coding the flying mechanics, but he can still have input. He should have input, because they are the products he oversees.

It's an extremely bizarre perspective because naturally, as evidenced by places such as this forum, people here believe they have ideas as to what would improve games and the industry, yet you're arguing that people should have zero impact? I could have told Bethesda before Starfield launched "hey, 900 empty planets is going to suck" yet that would be interferring I guess? Redfall is the logical conclusion to the position your advocating - shit products being pushed out due to fear of the man who runs the entire company apparently ever having input in what he's stamping his name on.
Phil doesn't dictate what games are to be made. Like I said he does the business decisions. Halo contractors were a business decision and you can argue that decision hinders halo development. But he is not a game dev. Get that out your head. Phil just also canceled blizzard surviral game because it was in dev hell. Good business decision. Phil does not make video games and never will. But yes some of his business decisions does impact game dev.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Phil doesn't dictate what games are to be made. Like I said he does the business decisions. Halo contractors were a business decision and you can argue that decision hinders halo development. But he is not a game dev. Get that out your head. Phil just also canceled blizzard surviral game because it was in dev hell. Good business decision. Phil does not make video games and never will. But yes some of his business decisions does impact game dev.
Phil is the CEO, he's ultimately responsible for the quality, or lack thereof, of Xbox games. He's also responsible for their strategy as a brand.

You're simping way too hard.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Enough room for anybody, all aboard folks. Next stop Sony domination 😂😂